Just Wondering : Swingers Discussion 20981310101
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumJust Wondering
TOPIC: Just Wondering
GoTo Page: Less ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Start   101 to 110 of 152   End
User Details are only visible to members.
"No, not unqualified, just less informed. "

Unless, of course, the misinformation leaves you less informed than knowing nothing.

Case in point - this raspberry ketone. Your information tells you that it induces lipolysis. Yes, true, but you're missing enough information that the understanding you walk away with is even worse than if you knew nothing. The whole truth is that we have no human studies at all, and scaling up from the mouse studies we have suggests that the doses sold would be laughably ineffective.

So what's better? Knowing nothing at all? Or mistakenly believing that dropping your money on something never clinically tested on humans with doses that we have no reason to believe would be effective will have any beneficial effect at all?

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17601 posts)
"OPEN YOUR MIND and free yourself of this compulsion to be perceived as the only right and the definitive answer."

I most certainly do not put myself out there as an infallible person who knows everything. But I take care to back up the things I'm saying.

As far as I am aware, you have never even once successfully overturned one of my dozens of rebuttals of stuff you've posted. OK yes once - when I jumped the gun about the letter re: flu shots.

But - I repeat - your claim that only those who watch today's Dr. Oz show are qualified to discuss GMOs is, frankly, stupid.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17601 posts)
" anyone who didn't watch Dr. Oz's show on GMOs is unqualified to make any comments on the topic."

No, not unqualified, just less informed.

"My degree in biotech? My graduate course work in virology, immunology and genetics? My doctorate in chemistry? All meaningless, because I missed Dr. Oz. "

No, not meaningless, just biased and not as fully informed as you could be.

Sacramento CA

Username hidden
(718 posts)
"Getting "informed" with misinformation is, in my opinion, worse than knowing nothing at all."

I now believe that you are so driven to prove yourself right that you wouldn't be able to discern the validity of any fact.

If nothing else there is value in thinking about the opposing viewpoints, if only to maintain an open mind, irrespective of the content.

A mind, much like a steel bear trap, is very difficult to open once closed. Once closed it is useless for the purpose for which it was intended.

OPEN YOUR MIND and free yourself of this compulsion to be perceived as the only right and the definitive answer.

For every professional with a "right" answer the is an equally professional person with the opposite "right" answer.

Sacramento CA

Username hidden
(718 posts)
btw - I'm not saying that everything - or hell, anything - on this show will be bogus information. You've already got your mind made up that anyone who didn't watch Dr. Oz's show on GMOs is unqualified to make any comments on the topic.

My degree in biotech? My graduate course work in virology, immunology and genetics? My doctorate in chemistry? All meaningless, because I missed Dr. Oz.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17601 posts)
"Japanese researchers have determined that raspberry ketone significantly increase norepinephrine-induced lipolysis associated with the translocation of hormone-sensitive lipase from the cytosol to lipid droplets in white fat cells. Translated, this means that raspberry ketone induce cells to desicate and make stored white fat more available for energy conversion."

1 - in mice 2- only when fed MASSIVE doses - 2% of body weight. Lower amounts were shown to do nothing.

I would need to eat over FOUR POUNDS of this stuff a day to have the purported effect.

It is reckless and irresponsible to make dietary recommendations based on such information.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17601 posts)
"If you don't watch, you really can't weigh in on the issue with any degree of credibility."

Aren't you also the one who said if we didn't read your moronic C&P posts we would remain ignorant of the facts? You seem to believe if it's posted on the internet or broadcast on TV, it MUST be true.

If that's the case, I'm a French model. Bonjour!

Poland OH

Username hidden
(11885 posts)
Scandle,

It's always nice to get the informed perspective of people we trust. Your Dr. friend is providing you with his opinion / truth. (based on his experience, training and bias) If people didn't challenge the "truth" there would be no progress or growth in science or any other discipline. It is only by challenging the status quo that breakthroughs can occur and change the truth to something previously believed to be false. That is the nature of scientific discovery.

The fact that he is dismissing Dr. Oz as misleading in general raises a question in my mind about the objectivity (lack thereof) by your friend. A bit like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Va,

"(i.e. it's not pluralized, in spite of all the labeling to the contrary) and demonstrated a profound lack of understanding"

It demonstrates nothing with regard to "understanding".

The fact that you clearly missed was his balancing statement= that a balanced diet and exercise along with this supplement will give a better result that not following the protocol at all.

Did you actually listen to the program? Oz clearly says keytone several times. The fact that marketers pluralize is immaterial. It's easy to fall into a complementary speech pattern when discussing any subject. keytone } keytones.

Japanese researchers have determined that raspberry ketone significantly increase norepinephrine-induced lipolysis associated with the translocation of hormone-sensitive lipase from the cytosol to lipid droplets in white fat cells. Translated, this means that raspberry ketone induce cells to desicate and make stored white fat more available for energy conversion.

Watch the program and then make your comments!

Sacramento CA

Username hidden
(718 posts)
Kind,

The very first thing that I was taught in Public Speaking while in college is, speak to your audience on the level that they'll understand and be able to absorb your words. Dr.Oz, is catering to his audience, based on that premise.

Colts Neck NJ

Username hidden
(16526 posts)
"doesn't he have teams of people making sure he doesn't make mistakes?!! "

I think Dr. Oz has become so dazzled with his celebrity that medicine is no longer his goal. He's now interested in money, endorsements, and status.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17601 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Start   101 to 110 of 152   End
TOPIC: Just Wondering