Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Just Wondering
TOPIC: Just_Wondering
« Prev  1 ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ... 368  Next »
181 to 190 of 3677
User Details are only visible to members.
As I understand it, young earth creationists reconcile it this way (their 'facts', not mine):

1. Dinosaurs definitely existed. There is far too much solid evidence for even the biggest bible-thumper to deny it.

2. Dinosaurs no longer exist.

3. The Great Flood happened, and God told Noah to put 2 of every land animal (7 pairs of "clean" (i.e. edible) animals). The Bible is silent as to how Noah managed to round up kangaroos and penguins from so far away, but I guess if you're 500 years old and have the time to build a giant ark, you also have the time to collect animals.

4. Therefore, dinosaurs were on the ark.

5. By the way - just because an animal wasn't mentioned in the bible doesn't mean it didn't exist at the time. It's the bible not a zoology textbook.

Seriously. That's the argument.

They believe that dinosaurs died out some time after the flood. You'd think that the flood would have been a great way for them to have died out, since Noah was probably tired of trying to coax two cantankerous 100 foot diplodocuses onto his boat (let alone 14 of them).

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25096 posts)
I don't remember a manifest in Genesis...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19761 posts)
JW if I missed the part in the bible where when Moses loaded the Ark with animal that there were dinosaurs on it? Because the goof ball people who built the massively expensive Ark here in KY seem to think there were dinosaurs on it judging from the fact that they have them displayed in cages on the Ark. Now I know I suck at bible bibble 101 but I really do not remember dinosaurs being in it.

Louisville KY
Username hidden
(21190 posts)
not at all related to SLS:

JW why certain people can't just *move on* and live their life their way, without pretty much continually plotting the "next" plan to control/manipulate/trying to keep other people under their thumb.

smh.

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(11971 posts)
VA, I think you handled it quite well, handsome.

Mcallen TX
Username hidden
(11764 posts)
We have always talked to our children as we would talk to any other human being.

The difference I notice is that our children (at least most of them) develop better critical thinking skills.

My now almost seven year old was figuring out at four how much time he got to spend with me per day. And was quite upset with it...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19761 posts)
Oh and might I add....

One thing that helps younger people talk to us oldsters is if we don't talk to them like they're 10 year olds. I tend to talk even to small children like adults (using age-appropriate vocubulary) and I find it rather quickly elicits a more mature response out of them. The 6 year old urchin of a friend of ours at lunch was trying to snatch the red crayon I was using (yes) away from me without asking. I stopped and asked her what was the matter. She said "I want the red one." I told her I was using it. She told me to give it to her. I told her - quite plainly - that I was using it, and when I was done I'd give it to her if she asked me for it. She quietly put her hands in her lap and watched what I was doing, and when I put it down, she asked if she could have it.

"Oh - he's NOT good with children, is he?" her mother said to Mrs. VA.

Probably the first time in the kid's life that the little shit behaved herself...

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25096 posts)
I agree with Fun. I didn't mean to make it out to be like it was ALWAYS that way, but the tendency becomes larger the bigger the age difference.

When I was teaching chemistry lab in college, the difference even there was becoming clear. Every year I'm a year older, and every year they're still 19.

Some youngin's are vapid twits. Some oldsters are vapid twits too, however. Sometimes I wonder how some people made it to this point in their life without getting their house repo'd or drowning in a lake on their way to work.

But as a general rule - with some exceptions - the younger they are, the higher the chance that the relationship will be almost exclusively sex.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25096 posts)
Fun, I think your young friend was really remarkable and a rare gem. My kids have always been able to talk to adults, but some of their friends were too clueless, nervous, and self-absorbed to carry on a conversation. Hell, I've met people MY age who are like that!

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(11428 posts)
JW why it is that the neighbours must slam the door hard enough to shake the ENTIRE building every. single. time. they come in or go out.

often, multiple times within a 5 minute period.

oy.

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(11971 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ... 368  Next »
181 to 190 of 3677
TOPIC: Just Wondering
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.