Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Grizzly Man
TOPIC: Grizzly_Man
Created by: usnwho The original post for this thread was deleted.
1  2  Next »
1 to 10 of 15
User Details are only visible to members.
One of my first memories of my father and I was of a normal, everyday Black Bear trying to crawl into our car window because I had a bag of marshmallows. I think I was about 4 or so. My father was a game warden, but beyond that, the people in PA used to call him the "original conservationist". He used common sense, rather than "book-learning" in every situation he was in. He taught me that also.

I watched this show until I couldn't take it any more. Yes, the man was certifiable. He was actually extremely anti-social and anti-society. Society had rejected him and he could identify with the grizzlies, since their ONLY predator is man. And he saw the bears as being "victimized" by the general public and the Park Service specifically. Unfortunately, he didn't have a lick of common sense, which is basically what he was told by everyone from the Park Service to his parents - except for that stupid group - I think they call themselves the Grizzly Group, or something stupid like that. I don't care what animal it is - you can have a raccoon for a pet for years - the mistake is made when you assign human traits to it. That applies to ANY animal whose normal habitat is the wild.

I found it funny (funny odd) that he used the correct body language when getting way too close to the Grizzlies. You NEVER run, you never ever show weakness. I'm sure there will be someone arguing with me about this, but trust me, unless there is a tall, skinny tree nearby, he had no chance of getting away, so he was treating them as equals. That might work temporarily, and it did. Until there was another person in the equation and one that was afraid of the bears. It clearly stated that she kept her distance, would hold the camera, etc. To hell with the period thing, if you show fear, the predator becomes the preyed upon.

BTW, a bigass Colt 45 will drop a bear providing your first shot is aimed correctly. I know very few people who can kill a bear with their first shot regardless of what type of gun they are using, especially if they are eyeball to eyeball. I never hunted bear, but I damn sure had to track a few wounded ones in my youth, and yes, even had to kill a wounded one once. lol S

And a side note to Perfect, cause I know you will understand - that gun had such a kick it knocked me on my ass, which is a very bad place to be if you aren't sure you killed the bear.

Cambridge VT
Username hidden
(6291 posts)
Aside from just plain general stupidity, I blame the media for some of this gross ignorance about wild animals. TV shows like "Flipper" or "Gentle Ben" or "Grizzly Adams," not to mention Disney shows like "Bambi," portrayed wild animals to the public as just cuddly, furry, sweet adorable pets like the family dog or cat.

My former boss told me how when he was in college and working as a summer ranger in Yellowstone, while off duty one day he witnessed a man carrying his toddler and walking toward a grizzly bear with the intent of putting the child on the bear's back and taking a picture. When he stopped to tell the man he was putting himself in danger, he got told to "fuck off and mind your own business." He never did find out what happened, because he just got back and his car and left the guy to his own fate.

While driving the Roaring Fork Trail just outside Gatlinburg, TN a few years ago, we came around a bend to find a station wagon pulled off to the side. The man was behind the vehicle, walking up to within 10 feet of a black bear feeding on some kind of roots on the shoulder of the road, and peering through his camera lens. The wife was hanging out the wide open passenger door of the car saying "Here little beary, here little beary!" I pulled off on the OTHER side of the road, and keeping the car between me and everything on the other side, I told the guy that although he may not be aware of it, he was in grave danger right now and should very slowly back away from that bear before it decided to take his head off with one swipe of its paw. He looked at me sheepishly, but decided to do what I said, and his wife ducked back into the car and closed the door.

So many people are such IDIOTS about the dangers posed by wild animals. Several years ago, also in Yellowstone, we witnessed an idiot carrying a camera and tripod walking up to within 10 yards of a huge bull elk, which was lying down in a meadow next to the Madison River. This was late September, and elk were in the full rutting season. It was obvious to me, at least that a large bull elk like that being alone could ONLY be because he'd just had his ass whipped in a fight with an even BIGGER bull, or he would have had a harem of cow elk with him like every other bull elk in the park at that time. So here's a stupid idiot walking up within 10 yards of 600-lb. bull elk with huge antlers who is in a really, really bad mood. I couldn't believe it. Luckily the bull never knew the guy was there and the guy didn't move any closer.

That same trip we watched another idiot walk up to within 10 yards of a huge bull bison (buffalo). Now these things weigh a ton, and while they appear to be just "shuffling along" at a snail's pace, it WAS rutting season for bison as well (we even witnessed a fight between two bulls). The idiot thought these were just stupid as domestic cattle, I guess. Anyway all at once the bull shifted into high gear and high speed and charged the guy, who just barely got behind a tree. The bull was satisfied that he ran the guy off and resumed his plodding along with his cows, but the jerk sure got an earful from his wife when he got back into his truck!

Here's a clue, people. Wild animals are DANGEROUS, especially BIG wild animals.

Jim

Culpeper VA
Username hidden
(8172 posts)
I agree. This guy was exceptionally dumb. Another one of those types who thought that he was right and the world was wrong, much like the army of those generic, knock-kneed, skinny balding guys with the beard and glasses, wearing hiker shorts and a "I hiked the canyon" tee shirt and carrying a 6-foot hiking stick and a backpack. All of them standing around ranger rick listening to the talk on how to survive a grizzly bear encounter.

What can these idiots be thinking!! Survive a grizzly bear encounter my ass! Why don't I just stand on the railroad tracks? The onlly fucking way I would hike in griz country is if I had a semi-auto 7mm Weatherby Magnum rifle, a backup .44 Magnum revolver, a 10-inch bowie knife and a one-quart can of Bear-B-Gon pepper spray. And, then I'd only go if I had 2 similarly-armed, scared SOBs just like me and one of those knock-kneed idiots along to walk point.....with his walking stick.

Send me your regular email address and I'll send you a .zip file with a series of (warning!) rather graphic photos and a text document that will show what happens when one of these big bastards is having a bad hair day.

San Luis Obispo CA
Username hidden
(1216 posts)
I'm amazed he lasted 13 years. The guy was a nut. He wanted to be a bear, he ended up bein a wilderbeast, aka food. He had no sense of what he was doin, and did more harm than good. How many more people will be killed cause the bears have been aclimated? And how many more bears will die for the same reason. This is jus another case of a tree huggin wacko runnin off to do what they think is protectin the environment without takin the time to learn what they're really doin. Tired of bein a drunken drug addict, I think I'll run off to Alaska unarmed and protect the bears. How stupid does it get? Anythin the bears have to fear is armed. All he could do is become food. Obviously ue had a rockstar ego too. Over 100 hrs of video and thousands of still pics and less than 6 images of his girlfriend. Personally I think the whole thing should never been aired. It does no good for man or beast.

Mike

Bedford PA
Username hidden
(5527 posts)
The guy was an idiot. He's lucky he wasn't killed much sooner, and eaten too.

It amazes us professional wildlife biologists just how arrogant some people can be. Imagine thinking that HE was so special that bears would behave differently toward HIM than they do toward other people.

Jim

Culpeper VA
Username hidden
(8172 posts)
we started to watch the documentary, but the guy was off his nut anyway. If his GF was on the rag, then yes, the bears would smell it and go nutzo themselves. That doesn't make them to woods wise at all. Rule number one for wimmin folk in the woods. Don't go in da woods when ya'z on da rag....specially during a rut. Those wild animals get a snoutful and they tend to act ...well....like wild animals. What did those idiots expect? Tea n scones?

Palm Beach Gardens FL
Username hidden
(1095 posts)
yes,we watched the show and then the dvd. He seemed to exhibit very stong traits of depression,anxiety,paranoid /schizphrenia,and an ego and mindset that was the base for this entire tragedy. Worst of all is the fact that all the time he spent there,he was gradually acclimating the bears to humans,first step in them losing their fear. Not only does that make them more dangerous to man,but it alos makes them more vulnerable to man. Without the healthy fear of humans,they drop their guard and are easy pickings for people that don;t mind taking advantage of the situation. Back in the early 70's a similar ''experiment'' was done among the elephants in africa. Seems that one ian douglas hamilton decided to ''make friends'' with the pachyderms. In doing this he created the first stage of a disaster. The pachys lost their fear of man. When Mr. Douglas-Hamilton returned a few years later he discovered that the majority of the herd he had been observing and interacting with had been virtually wiped out. It was easy for the poachers to walk right up and open up on them with auotmatic rifles and in some cases machine guns. Then all they had to do was axe the front of their faces off,remove the tusks and ...pooof! gone! Happens too many times with too many egotistical god-ish humans presuming to know whats best for nature. Since they were here a bit longer than us,it would seem they would know the right way tosurvive,if left alone by well meaning scientists.

chuck-pachman

Cumberland MD
Username hidden
(1592 posts)
Or call him "MENU MAN"

Spencer TN
Username hidden
(6440 posts)
One of the things I heard on the news a couple of years ago was that they were prolly attacked because she was not known by the bears. He had been getting familiar with them for I believe 13 years. Also there were claims that they smelled blood due to her cycle. I do not know if either is true but it does sound logical. But for people who believe in God and the Bible there is a statement where Jesus tells Satan, "Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." I think this is what he was doing.

Spencer TN
Username hidden
(6440 posts)
Perfect,

I agree. In my eyes it's an example of Darwinian Selection in process.

In their domain, we are NOT the top predator......we're LUNCH !

While I'm sure he believed in what he was doing, common sense should have made him leave some distance. Even though we have opposable thumbs, have almost mastered fire, and build big metal birds to carry us to their 'hoods, to them we're little more than irritating Happy Meals.

It's too easy for us humans to become arrogant in our concrete and steel world and discount the threats our ancestors dealt with as historical stories.

I've stood between a pair of adorable black bear cubs and Momma.....it was unintentional on all parts....and will hopefully never be repeated. I knew who was boss at that moment....and it sure as hell wasn't me ! lol

Mr Still

Adams MA
Username hidden
(212 posts)
1  2  Next »
1 to 10 of 15
TOPIC: Grizzly Man
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.