Gobble Gobble: What are You Cooking Up For Turkey Day : Swingers Discussion 212253
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumGobble Gobble: What are You Cooking Up For Turkey Day
TOPIC: Gobble Gobble: What are You Cooking Up For Turkey Day
Created by: TheGhost_and_MrsMuir
Original Starting post for this thread:
This is my holiday. The one where I have my entire family here at my home and I pull out all the stops and cook the way I like to when I have time. I will say that taking courses at CIA (culinary institute of America) has served me well. :)

On the menu today:

Roasted turkey that has been brined overnight (actually 2 turkeys, 12 pounds each, they taste better than a big one) in a special mixture that includes whole allspice and chili peppers.

Two different kinds of stuffing (made as dressing separately-not good to stuff a bird). Sausage Apple and sausage chestnut

My famous twice baked garlic mashed cheesy yukon potatoes AND regular mashed

Pumpkin soup

Home made cranberry/blackberry and a new one made with ginger and port wine.

Sides TBA

Happy Holiday!!

GoTo Page: 1 2 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 20   End
User Details are only visible to members.
we always buy fresh not frozen turkey's. and we do not stuff them.

PG

Louisville KY
Username hidden
(17550 posts)
I found defrosting in the refridgerator starting on Monday leaves it perfectly thawed for stuffing weds night. Then back in the fridge till Thurs morning at 6am, and into the roaster at 300.

Toledo OH
Username hidden
(1408 posts)
It is my understanding that it's possible to make perfectly safe stuffing inside the bird, or to give yourself a nasty case of salmonella.

If people take the time and do it right, stuffing inside the bird can be perfectly safe. *If*. It's also a great way to give yourself nice GI bugs if you cut corners or rush things. And yes, a bigger bird is trickier to get it right than a smaller one, especially since it's more likely the bigger bird was previously frozen and thus may not be 100% thawed, causing it to take longer for inner parts to reach the needed temperature.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(18831 posts)
I did an 18lb bird this year, the dressing is partially pre-cooked so that it's perfect inside the turkey. I also made whipped potatoes with blended cheeses and sour cream. Lastly, the gravy made with turkey drippings. All the other sides are brought by guests. I also bust out a few selections from my personal wine stock.

Toledo OH
Username hidden
(1408 posts)
Mrs. Ghost, we had a wonderful meal with stuffing inside the bird and the dressing on the outside. None of the things you've stated are true, at least not in my case. My bird was a twenty pounder which I put in the oven at 5:00 am at 325 degrees since it does take a long time and as certain parts, i.e. the wing tips and or chest area began to brown faster than when it would have been done, I shielded those areas with alum foil. I don't rush my food and used a cheap Dollar Store meat temp thing and made certain it reached the temps you mentioned in the thigh area and the breast, etc. and it was delicious; not dry anywhere. I made the ham the day before and added the pineapple, etc. after the turkey was done to brown and heat through, along with the Mac & Cheese, outside stuffing and candied yams all in the oven at the same damn time...LOL...it looked like a magazine. It was a great day. I served at 2:00 pm.

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(2533 posts)
OK, I don't get much opportunity to really COOK, but when I do, it's pretty darned good, not to toot my own horn! Here's my menu duJour: Turkey (maybe stuffing, haven't decided) mashed potatoes and gravy sweet potatoe casserole (great grandma's recipe TO DIE FOR!!!!!) green bean casserole devilled eggs (I've been told I make the best) dinner rolls pecan pie and MAYBE pumpkin pie (haven't decided) ...now, if I can keep my rottie from stealing the turkey off the counter a la "Christmas Story" like she did back on Christmas of '08....I was SOOO mad, but it was TOOOO funny!

Mcallen TX
Username hidden
(10676 posts)
The mother-in-law just arrived. Adding Mac-n-cheese, collard greens, cranberry sauce and a pumpkin roll...

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(2640 posts)
Turkey, Honey glazed ham, yams, green beans, corn on the cob, mashed potatos and gravy, rolls, sweet potato pie, chocolate cake, pineapples upside down cake.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone...

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(2640 posts)
"Let me jump right in here and say there is nothing wrong with stuffing the bird! "

Nothing 'wrong' except these things:

It takes up to twice as long to cook with stuffing in the bird. and The number one best place to find the those little bacterial beasties that can make you sick is in stuffing that did not reach 165 degrees. And when you DO get the stuffing in the bird to 165 the rest of the bird is then overcooked and most likely the white meat is as dry as the Sahara.

Here is a great explanation by Alton Brown about all the science behind this (it's also where I got this year's cranberry recipe ;)

w w w.foodnetwork.c om/videos/how-to-cook-perfect-turkey/864.html?vpid=tbla|altons-good-eats-roast-turkey-how-to

Happy eating!

East Fishkill NY
Username hidden
(3531 posts)
Let me jump right in here and say there is nothing wrong with stuffing the bird! I am definitely stuffing my 20 lb. bird inside and making some outside dressing as well. The problem is that people don't cook the bird properly and that's why they have a problem....not to mention not washing as you go along to rule out cross-contamination. I made my ham today as well as my collard greens, cut up all the veggies to be sauteed for the stuffing and dressing respectively along with the cabbage, rutabagas (yellow turnips). Macaroni and cheese on the menu (the black version) canned Ocean Spray cranberry sauce and candied yams -- not sure if I am doing bourbon after all. The shrimp got scraped from the menu. My gf is brining dessert. I cook all the food as I want all the credit....LOL! Happy Thanksgiving! Oh, I make my own gravy and the giblets are already cooked too for that. I don't buy stock, I make it.

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(2533 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 20   End
TOPIC: Gobble Gobble: What are You Cooking Up For Turkey Day