Gift Suggestions for People who Don't Need More Stuff : Swingers Discussion 212358
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumGift Suggestions for People who Don't Need More Stuff
TOPIC: Gift Suggestions for People who Don't Need More Stuff
Created by: Scandle
Original Starting post for this thread:
My parents are of the generation and income level where they have already purchased all the stuff they want or need. As I prepare for the holidays, figuring out that one special gift that will be meaningful for them has for a long time been a difficult task. This year I'm thinking some kind of service would be best, so I have started looking into finding a masseuse who would travel to their home to give them a rub down or neck/shoulder massage. Just in case I strike out, do you have other ideas to consider? Serious or humorous, all suggestions are welcome.

GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 22   End
User Details are only visible to members.
I am not big on the at home massage as (1) the person came late and then had to set up the table, making it later and took forever to break it down and leave; (2) I wanted the person to hurry up and be out so I could get in the shower and relax. As your parent has the vision problem, perhaps this won't matter. All-in-all I prefer to go to the spa -- get your massage, sip some fancy water and eat their munchies, shower if you like as with Bliss, their products are so good and non-greasy that I sometimes felt no need to shower afterwards. A gift certificate to a really nice restaurant can also be very nice and used "whenever!" I love parents like yours where you have to be creative. I once gave a couple like them who were into golf, statutes of themselves. They loved them.

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(3235 posts)
Here are some ideas.

Send out a mobile car-detailer to detail their cars.

If they drink wine, subscribe to a high-end wine club so they get a shipment monthly for a year

Hire a caterer to do all the work for them for a party that they plan and have at their place.

Research and hire a high-end portrait photographer and have a photo-shoot at their place, where you have new family photos done. Hopefully other family members live nearby or could come in for this "event".

San Luis Obispo CA
Username hidden
(1209 posts)
scandle......thats better then :)

Rockport MA
Username hidden
(6579 posts)
I was told the lobster tails were from Maine.

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(8905 posts)
scandle......check country of origin......:( you cant beat the real live thing :)

Rockport MA
Username hidden
(6579 posts)
nice idea, tiggr! We just had lobster tails at their place for Thanksgiving dinner.

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(8905 posts)
scandle buy them some lobsters for a great dinner :)

Rockport MA
Username hidden
(6579 posts)
SA, a donation to a worthy cause is a great idea. I've done that before for them but want to do something else this year.

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(8905 posts)
Thanks, everyone, for your ideas. In my parents' case there are limiting factors that preclude some of the suggestions - Mom's legally blind, so a scrapbook or a show would be meaningless to her, Dad has serious heart health issues so travel would not be a wise choice. I do spend as much time as I can with them and agree that of all things one can give, time and attention are the most precious.

Peghey, I like your idea about taxi service for the elderly on account and will look into it. Their area may not have a company that specializes in that demographic, but then again it might.

Since my parents are now living in the town where I graduated from high school, I contacted my h.s. reunion group and have a number to call for the in-home massage service.

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(8905 posts)
When my oldest moved away by airplane he had to pack light. I found this great book "Why a son needs a mother" On each page were little tidbits of advice, some serious some humorous. To each page I added a memory or thought about the advice given from "our" life experiences together . He didn't read it until he was on the plane and called as soon as he landed with tears and joy. The book also comes in every other version of why so and so needs so and so, mom/daughter, dad/son etc. I've also used random picture type books with small quotes of a similar nature and personalized each page. Not all the quotes were applicable , for instance one said " A mother teaches son the importance of dressing well ( or something to that effect) ...........In my sons case I wrote "Or at least the importance of matching" ...as teen clearly we disagreed on what was well dressed lol. For my BF 40th B Day I passed a simliar book around at her party asking each person to write on a single page with a memory, inside joke or word of advice. Those books I am told have been prize treasures, full of laughter, love and memories. You could also make a photo collage of your childhood with pics of you and your parents, adding a short memory below each photo. People who need nothing will always appreciate a thoughtful heartfelt gift. Hint: Carry the book with you everywhere you go for a week or so and add comments as they occur to you, do NOT try to fill it all in one sitting. You'll need time to say the "right" things lol Mrs Sav

Anniston AL
Username hidden
(5462 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 22   End
TOPIC: Gift Suggestions for People who Don't Need More Stuff