Generator : Swingers Discussion 2110861031
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumGenerator
TOPIC: Generator
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 ... More 
Start   31 to 40 of 40 
User Details are only visible to members.
M - Look at a generac 17 kw (or 19 kw) , We have the 19 kw, With the transfer switch ( with a surge protector) we are able to run almost the whole house with out seeing any major draw, the thing actually runs at a mid idle , Except for when the A/C kicks on ( central a/c). we are able to use a clothes dryer ( electric). it actually was running our Hot tub, until I remembered to shut that down.

We are able to run pretty much as normal , although we also switced from the electric heat strip in the A/C unit to our Oil fired boiler. to keep the draw down.

Our gas consumption is @ 100.00 per day, we are getting a fill tomorow as our electric is supposed to be out until sunday.

Our unit installed was 6500.00, I have an Electrician who is a generac dealer install the generator and automatic transfer switch. Home depot Sells similar units, as does Norther tool, ( the issues with those places comes down to service work and warrantee on the units, compared to an authorized dealer.) I did the Propane hookup myself. If you have natural gas with a 3/4" feed you should have enough volume to run the generator. The hook up would have cost @ 500.00.

The unit you are looking for will not need a batery tender or warmer, as the units are set to run once a week for 10 minutes. and the switch monitors and charges the battery etc. We also opted for a service plan, that includes yearly maintinence such as oil change and overall inspection of the unit. it is a wise investment, considering what you are going through now.

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9680 posts)
OK...Here's where I can chime in and have a modicum of intelligence to throw around...I was once an Electrical contractor in Florida that did 50% of my business during hurricane season. I know my stuff.

Sed, a garden variety 6500w generator you'll find all day long at one of the big box stores will be sufficient to run 70% of your house, including pumps and fridges and some electrical circuits.

I spent 12 days without power after Charlie in Florida and kept my fridge running, the freezer on, the house pump and pool pump (intermittent) during the entire outage. All I used was a 5000w Honda generator wired in through my dryer outlet (I don't recommend this unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing) 24-7. For 12 days we ran that stupid thing with the only hiccup being a fuel outage at 3am once while we were sleeping comfortably under our spinning ceiling fan. We even managed to heat water enough to take warm showers every day.

Its all about HOW you use the generator and not the total size of it (innuendo, anyone....)

I'd be happy showing you exactly what you need so you don't get sold too much and help sort out how to best install it.

Long Beach CA
Username hidden
(1757 posts)
Did I say kva? Try kw instead.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10776 posts)
If you balance your usage, you can do that. You'll end up with the same type idea - automatic transfer switch but you'll add a sub-panel of just the circuits you want powered in an outage - that will determine the size KW you need (7KW to 14KW)

Jacksonville FL
Username hidden
(2271 posts)
I'm not an expert, but wouldn't think 3-phase would be required for home use.

If your house has basic 200 amp service and you dont need everything to run at the same time, you probably could get by with something in the range of a 24 kva whole-house generator.

Central A/C has a pretty high inductive load, so if you plan to run that while also taking a hot bath with pies baking in the ovens and all the lights on, look into a 48 kva. An electrician could look at your circuit box and help you decide on size.

My last Northern Tools catalogue had some good prices on whole-house generators. I used to have a portable Generac which was very loud, but their larger ones might be quieter. My current one (pardon the pun) has a good, quiet Honda engine that I'm very pleased with. Kohler is another good name in generators. Good luck.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10776 posts)
As a follow-up. Unless you or Mr. are handy, best to hire a company that specializes in Generator installs. That way they can coordinate the details, the subs; plumber for gas line, electrician for transfer switch and hookup and be able to fire it up and service it regularly for you. (insert joke here).

Additionally, look at a battery warmers/chargers being as you're in the cold weather region.

Also the transfer switch would be referred to as a Main Breaker type.

Jacksonville FL
Username hidden
(2271 posts)
We're thinking about 50-75% of the house.

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16299 posts)
If you want whole house, you need an automatic transfer switch for about a 200amp service (assumption).

You plumb it into your natural gas line (you'll want to check with them to determine if you have the gas volume (insert jokes here) to handle the size generator you are wanting. 14KW to 17KW likely for whole house. If you have a bigger load (insert joke here) you could go larger KW.

FWIW

Jacksonville FL
Username hidden
(2271 posts)
If you plan on running your A/C and heat you will need a 3 phase generator. I know both Lowe's and Home Depot sell whole house backup generators. Might not be the cheapest or best but you could do some research in store including what would be needed to wire it inline and for automatic fail over. I would wait a bit because as you know for a little while they will be in high demand and as such the prices might be slightly higher.

Odessa TX
Username hidden
(441 posts)
We're going to look into a generator as soon as things quiet down. We're going to look for one that runs on natural gas vs. gasoline. One that would power up our water pump, heat/a/C, and refrigeration.

Would love to hear tips and advise on how to shop for one, what to look for a unit that isn't too loud and is triggered by an outage rather than one that needs to be cranked up.

Info and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16299 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 ... More 
Start   31 to 40 of 40 
TOPIC: Generator