Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Open Forum Generator
TOPIC: Generator
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 ... More 
Start   11 to 20 of 40   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Looking, I mean no offense, but in my experience that's just not true. I work for a company that specifically deals with generators, this inculdes retrofits and factory original propane driven generators. We are a field service provider for Kohler, Onan (by Robin/Subaru), and Honda. Many generators come in that run on propane that customers power with 15lb (grill) and 30lb (forklift) cylinders. These are factory approved power sources and do not ice over even after several hours of usage. This could happen if you were using a grill style "pancake" propane regulator, however these units have regulators with heat sinks designed to disperse cold and allow for long term usage capabilities.

Toledo OH
Username hidden
(1440 posts)
I was without any power for over two weeks after Isaac, and even after that it would go out for hours at a time as crews made more permanent repairs to transmission lines. A generator was pretty much a necessity for the refrigerator, recharging batteries for my laptop, cell phone, and power tools. I also would run the AC for an hour or two before going to bed, and even a few times all night when the temps approached 90. A 6,000 watt Honda did just fine for my needs.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
We have been blessed throughout this storm without losing power. We have been without power for periods of time and don't use a generator, nor would Jim ever agree to buying one. As soon as I get the house updated to where I like it, our next investment will be a turbine. Most around us on the moutain have generators and you can here them very loud and clearly up top where we are located. I have nothing against them, but know we will never have one here. In situations where tradegies like Sandy have struck and ruined so much, that is a different story and would change my mind on the generators and would definitely go with natural gas.

Jan

Jerome PA
Username hidden
(12139 posts)
No. I have solar panels on my house. I own my panels and generate electricity. Our ONLY reliance on the energy company is to supply power to the solar system. We do not draw electricity from the grid :).

My electric bill for this year was $31.09 :)

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(17252 posts)
Sed another option for generator is a diesel, they use less fuel, are very efficient. But they are very expensive. Carnival Foods(Albert Fischer) used two of them for one warehouse in the keys. I never looked at their ratings but one put out enough to power the warehouse. You can apply for a permit for a diesel storage tank, 500 gallons will last for some time no more electricity than it seems you use.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19580 posts)
Jinx- We looked at buying a tank outright , but again opted away from that as they have to be certified, every 10 years. That is where the issues came in for me, My current supplier said they wouldn't charge me to certify it now, but wouldn't garauntee that would be the standing practice. The other "Local" company wanted it to be certified every othe ryear, and at a fee to us. Our supplier is the one who reccomended we go with an above ground tank, so we wouldn't be held hostage by one company or another, as well we still have the option of buying a tank outright .

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9724 posts)
No. They only power us up when there is power. No power the system is off. I assumed the same applies to turbines but I might be wrong.

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(17252 posts)
Wint = we

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(17252 posts)
Great feedback all.

Free,

I had no idea that you have a turbine on your property. We opted for solar panels after research and conclusion that we are not in a good wind corridor, so wint generate enough power to sustain us. Our unit is 10K a little less than what we utilize. So we're not such a burden on the grid. In fact we sell back to the grid. But we don't live off the land, our property is smaller than yours and is subject to township ordinance. I can't have live animals such as chickens, cows or horses here.

The generator that we'll be getting is so that never again, hubby is separated from his family during a crisis.

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(17252 posts)
We no longer store food in refrigerators or freezers. The freezer off actually. No need to power up a fridge if the power goes out.

Since we are big fans of primitive camping (no water, electric or cable..), it's not hard at all to live life for a few weeks with what we have. Solar and wind give us the juice we need to stay in touch with the world. Other than that we live well with cast iron, fire and canned goods from the summer garden. Fact is we live well with or without power.

Remember... It's not how much power you can make. It's how much you need. Those with high power needs can expect to spend $$$ to have that false comfort. Those with few grid needs need not worry or spend so much without giving up any quality of life. A simple matter of perspective....

Huntingdon Vy PA
Username hidden
(1067 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 ... More 
Start   11 to 20 of 40   End
TOPIC: Generator