Generator : Swingers Discussion 211086101
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumGenerator
TOPIC: Generator
Created by: Seduction4Two
Original Starting post for this thread:
We're going to look into a generator as soon as things quiet down. We're going to look for one that runs on natural gas vs. gasoline. One that would power up our water pump, heat/a/C, and refrigeration.

Would love to hear tips and advise on how to shop for one, what to look for a unit that isn't too loud and is triggered by an outage rather than one that needs to be cranked up.

Info and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 40   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Care, I can't speak about 20kva's as I have little experience in working with them. The units I see most often are 10k peak, 9500watt continuous. Those units are designed to be run by forklift size LP's. They do run constantly, without freezing over.

Toledo OH
Username hidden
(1430 posts)
Because the Easy way can get people electrocuted, or cause generator to blow up when people forget to Shut off the mains when they backfeed through a panel.....

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9692 posts)
We bought the xp10000e DuroMax gasoline gen. This will serve as a back up To the natural gas generator that were going to have installed. Finding cables for it is impossible (for a permanent install, switch, converter?, extension cords ackkkkk...)

Why is everything so difficult?!?!?

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(16803 posts)
My sentiments exactly VA, my cousin still hs 2 of them on my grandfathers farm. One is from the 60's . My biggest Reason for going w/ propane was eease of use when I am not around to start it for my wife.

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9692 posts)
A lot of people here have diesel generators. The reasons are:

1. Natural gas supply isn't as common here, since most people use electric heat pump/AC units, not everyone has a gas furnace and thus they just use an electric water heater too.

2. Natural gas supply *can* be disrupted.

3. Diesel fuel is more stable to lacquering on storage than gasoline, and doesn't form pressure in a sealed tank in the summer heat as much. Having a small tank of diesel sitting there for months or years before needing to come on should not be a problem.

Just the 2 cents that people here have passed on.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19825 posts)
Caretakers, even as samll as a 5000 watt generator on a full draw could require more propane than a small tall tank could handle.

If I had my druthers I would have went with a PTO driven generator for the back of my tractor. I normally have anywere between 300- 600 gallons of #2 form equipment, and another 500 gallons for my furnace. And at 1/3 throttle I can run my small tractor for @ 18 hours on @ 4 gallons of fuel....

but this way is much easier.

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9692 posts)
Toledo- I am not mistaken nor wrong about this, the units Draw too much fuel at a constant rate to effectively work. I have had this discussion before with people who think because a forklift can run on one the generator can, they are 2 seperate as well different items, A generator typically will run minimally on a 1/2 draw for hours on end, where as a forklift will run periodically and more at an idle, then on a draw.

I work in conjunction with a local distributor , and they had numerous complaint calls due to generators installed inadequately, or from running out in mere hours. further when you look at the propane tank on the forklift or on a vehicle the outlet is mounted to the side in an attempt to prevent freeze ups. I have owned 2 propane lifts and i understand the pricipal, But I also install commercial and residential equipment that uses propane , it is not just as easy as hooking up a back yard Grill. there are too many variables to be taken into consideration.

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9692 posts)
I would like to sample your flow rates!

Harmony FL
Username hidden
(192 posts)
Toledo -

The generators your talking about are fairly small, at least compared to a 20kw. The issue with icing is all a matter of flow rates. They make a 4 way manifold so you can tie 4 bottles at a time in, reducing the flow rate out of each bottle and preventing the lp from flashing to gas too fast. While it works, the small bottles still don't keep those big boys running very long, and people tend to not want to keep getting hundreds of pound of lp all the time with their car.

A small 5,000 watt, sure, but a big boy should either be natural gas or hooked to a 500+ storage tank.

Harmony FL
Username hidden
(192 posts)
Sed - it strikes me as so odd that your solar panels provide all the electricity you need except still need power from the electric company to actually run! There's definitely a flaw in that design. Is there any alternative? Some kind of battery? If not, wouldn't a very small generator provide the necessary power to juice up the solar system?

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(4449 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 40   End
TOPIC: Generator