Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Fun Facts
TOPIC: Fun_Facts
« Prev  1 ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ... 110  Next »
91 to 100 of 1094
User Details are only visible to members.
Fun fact: In 1983, Rohm and Haas (a large chemical company) made an error in their payroll withholding check to the IRS.

It was supposed to be $4,448,112.98.

It was actually $4,448,112.88. 10 cents short.

This is the IRS we're talking about. They assess (in 1983, anyway) penalties based on the base amount, not the amount of the error. They assessed a penalty to Rohm and Haas of $46,806.37.

Rohm and Haas spent months fighting this. They eventually settled out of court with the IRS for an undisclosed amount.

I really hope it was $0.10.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27524 posts)
Fun fact #1

For the 6th (out of 7) time since 2012, CMS has failed to release their inpatient pricing software in time for the actual structure taking effect.

In other words, on Oct. 1, 2016, hospitals and health plans had to - by law - bill CMS for Medicare cases at Medicare rates. But as of 5 minutes ago (4 months late) they still are not published.

Commercial software writers take the raw CMS data and make their own, but when (eventually) CMS DOES publish theirs, in the event of any discrepancies, the CMS pricing software is right, and the commercial is deemed wrong.

How fucked up.

Fun fact #2:

CMS still programs their software in COBOL. They need to hunt down retired programmers to keep their stuff running.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27524 posts)
Another fun fact:

Everyone also tests positive for morphine, given a sensitive enough test.

And no, not just because of poppy seed bagels. As it turns out, your body synthesizes (in fantastically low amounts) it on its own from L-DOPA, which is itself synthesized from the common amino acid tyrosine. Patients who take L-DOPA for neurological disorders like Parkinson's show increased morphine content in their urine.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27524 posts)
Fun fact: Nicotine is found in a great many plants, especially tomatoes (which are related to tobacco), cauliflower and even tea.

Not in large amounts, mind you. And tomatoes lose their nicotine significantly as they ripen. Green (unripened) tomatoes have much more than ripe ones. Eggplant is higher still - but you'd have to eat 22 pounds of eggplant at once you get the nicotine from one cigarette. However, just 1/3 of an ounce is about the same amount as 3 hours of passive second hand smoke inhalation.

This "fun fact" was discovered because in testing patients (smokers and non-smokers) for cotinine (a metabolite of nicotine), it was discovered that EVERYONE tests positive - i.e. everyone gets small amounts of nicotine in their diets.

Made me think of the Simpsons' episode involving "tomacco"....

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27524 posts)
Ronald Wayne sold his 10% stake in Apple for $800 in 1976. If he held on to that stock it would be worth $63B today. That's billion dollars.

Rutherford NJ
Username hidden
(7398 posts)
Fun fact: Apple has $264 billion in cash on hand.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27524 posts)
The song "Let's talk about sex" was written about phone sex.

This may be another of my MOTO (master of the obvious) moments but I really didn't know that til just now when I googled it to see who sang it.

Lafayette TN
Username hidden
(2361 posts)
40 years ago today, the Blizzard of 1977 began. It struck the Niagara/Buffalo area of Ontario/New York. I was not even 3, but I remember my mother opening the front door and snow being up past the top. A bricklayer who only spoke Italian was trapped in our house for 5 days because he couldn't go anywhere. Made for an interesting few days, apparently.

For 3 days, winds of 45-70 mph persisted, along with total snowfall exceeding 100 inches in some areas, and some snow drifts up to 40 feet tall that didn't melt until June. At least 30 people died, mostly from hypothermia, either freezing to death in their trapped cars or dying of exposure trying to find their way in -40 wind chills and blinding snow.

It remains the only natural disaster to ever lead to a declaration of a state of emergency in both the US and Canada.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27524 posts)
Fun fact:

THREE heads of state from World War II are still alive, although one is disputed as a head of state.

The Dalai Lama

King Simeon II of Bulgaria (who was only 8 at the end of World War II, but king nonetheless)

King Michael I of Romania (24 years old at the end of the war).

Michael was the only de facto head of state - the others were children. He became King of Romania in 1927 at the age of 6, and is thus the last remaining head of state from before World War II.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27524 posts)
Fun fact:

Before celebrities became vaccine-denying assholes they actually were sometimes beneficial to public health.

In 1956, polio vaccination was just 0.6% in the US. Public health officials asked Elvis Presley to assist in spreading awareness and acceptance of a mass immunization campaign, and on Oct. 28, 1956, he was given a polio vaccination on broadcast television.

Within 6 months, 80% of the country was immunized. Some make the argument that no other single act in history has had such a beneficial effect.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27524 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ... 110  Next »
91 to 100 of 1094
TOPIC: Fun Facts
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.