Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Fun Facts
TOPIC: Fun_Facts
« Prev  1 ...  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ... 106  Next »
71 to 80 of 1056
User Details are only visible to members.
I always thought drugs were tested on and dosed based on men so many side effects for women were considered strange or psychological.

Ironically I read somewhere that improving compliance actually had worse results because of increased side effects. In most cases (except antibiotics I suppose) a missed dose every once in a while can be beneficial.

Perhaps they need to broaden the testing field after the first round to check further for side effects. I understand the need for more stringent requirements because of possible effects on a developing fetus but come on, there are some difference even before you take size into account.

Irving TX
Username hidden
(1027 posts)
FF One does not have to pee on a fence to discover it is electrified.

Woodville TX
Username hidden
(581 posts)
Fun fact #2: Phase I clinical trials are almost always conducted only on young men. Care to guess why?

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27126 posts)
Fun fact #1: Most men underdose on prescriptions.

Generally, prescription dosing does not take into account the size or gender of the patient. A round of azithromycin is the same for a 250 pound man as it is for a 100 pound woman.

When it comes to dosing recommendations, manufacturers make pills intended for 100 pound women. If the prescribing doctor doesn't take into account differences in the size of the patient (and often gender), this means that a small woman feels the full force of the drug (for good or bad) while a large man does not.

Many drugs are metabolized considerably faster by men, even when correcting for body weight. This is not well understood, but for Ambien, for instance, a 250 pound man will clear it about 4 times as fast as a 100 pound woman, higher than one would predict based on the body weight difference.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27126 posts)
What did the US respond back with? " I could tell you but then I would have to kill you"?

Rutherford NJ
Username hidden
(7058 posts)
Fun Fact:

The first message sent to Moscow via the Washington-Moscow Hotline was a (very common) test message, reading "THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG 1234567890".

Moscow, competent in English but not familiar with the use of the sentence for typography testing, responded with "What do your people mean when they say "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"?"

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27126 posts)
Heya VA

Still around, mostly lurking all of the interesting conversations. Hope all is well?

San Antonio TX
Username hidden
(8393 posts)
Two of my kids had a mild reaction to amoxicillin one time. Now they avoid prescribing it.

I think it might have just been something with that batch...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(21363 posts)
"Was that the sound of VA's head exploding? Lol"

It would have been, had I not been wearing a copper protective wristband.

---

Hey SA! Long time no see!

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27126 posts)
It gives me a terrible sick headache. At first I just thought that they were ineffective against migraines and my symptoms were from migraine. Now I believe that my symptoms are from the Tylenol itself after I was accidentally prescribed a form of Tulonol because my doctor didn't want me to take ibuprofen or aspirin.

Irving TX
Username hidden
(1027 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ... 106  Next »
71 to 80 of 1056
TOPIC: Fun Facts
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.