Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Fun Facts
TOPIC: Fun_Facts
« Prev  1 ...  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ... 92  Next »
71 to 80 of 919
User Details are only visible to members.
Fun fact: in South Korea, electric fans are typically equipped with a timer so they shut off after a period of time. So they don't kill you while you're sleeping.

What?

Apparently, South Koreans suspicious of the new technology when it arrived in the 1920s came up with the notion, which is still widely held and even perpetuated by health authorities, in spite of virtually no statistics to support it. So called "Fan Death" is still widely feared. The cause of death is believed to be asphyxiation (due to the fan somehow piling up your exhaled carbon dioxide in front of your face) or hypothermia (from freezing you to death - as if you won't notice you're being blasted with Arctic air and wake up).

The Korea Consumer Protection Board (KCPB), a South Korean government-funded public agency, issued a consumer safety alert in 2006 warning that "asphyxiation from electric fans and air conditioners" was among South Korea's five most common summer accidents.

A Korean doctor blames the media, claiming that they hype the stories up and make sure that fans are mentioned in stories about people being found dead, even though they have nothing to do with it.

"Korean reporters are constantly writing inaccurate articles about death by fan, describing these deaths as being caused by the fan. That's why it seems that fan deaths only happen in Korea. They should have reported the victim's original defects, such as heart or lung disease, which are the main cause of death [in these cases]. If a Western doctor investigated these deaths, he would say what really caused the death, and say that a fan was beside the victim."

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25134 posts)
"both of which are most likely caused by a third correlative: high temperatures"

Third (or more) correlatives are usually behind these things, some simply via population growth or demographic changes.

Although per capita mozzarella consumption with people getting tangled in their bed sheets? REALLY? 700 people died in 2009 from getting tangled in their bed sheets?

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25134 posts)
You can be the most brilliant and knowledgeable scholar in history, but if you can't think on your feet clearly and quickly, and communicate those thoughts in clear sentences, you have no business arguing before SCOTUS. I've reviewed dozens of arguments presented by Solicitor General Virilli, and not a single one has impressed me.

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(245 posts)
"Where do they get these people?"

In this case, undergrad from Harvard and U of Penn law school.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19800 posts)
"Correlation does not mean causation."

That Tyler Vigen guy found some great examples of that, with factors that are totally unrelated to each other. I usually make the point by noting the correlation between ice cream consumption and incidents of domestic violence, neither of which cause the other, but both of which are most likely caused by a third correlative: high temperatures.

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(245 posts)
Correlation does not mean causation. I wish more people understood this.

A fantastic website.... with cool ass graphs showing all kinds of spurious correlations....

w ww.tylervigen.c om/spurious-correlations

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25134 posts)
"Where do they get these people?"

Probably a law school nobody ever heard of.:)

OT: FF: English word with most consecutive vowels - EUOUAE.

Memphis TN
Username hidden
(5192 posts)
"I'm sure Fun will look at the transcript, being a SCOTUS aficionado."

I normally wouldn't have bothered; this case doesn't interest me very much (and it wasn't even much of a constitutional case until Thomas tried to make it one). But I have looked at the transcript now, and my main takeaway is this: The Assistant Solicitor General who argued it, is almost as bad as the Solicitor General himself. Where do they get these people? 

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(13029 posts)
"Also, the New York Rifle and Pistol Association has also decided not to appeal to the court, also citing the death of Scalia as a contributing factor."

Even before Scalia's death, the Court denied certiorari in several cases that had upheld the constitutionality of gun restrictions very similar to those struck down in Heller and McDonald. So, there was already speculation among Court-watchers that at least one Justice was having second thoughts about having joined Scalia in the Heller case. Without Scalia on the Court, at present there might be only three votes staunchly in favor of his interpretation of the 2nd Amendment. 

p.s., Ms. Scandle, I'd say your prediction might have been spot on. Let's see if he keeps this up and starts engaging in other cases too. 

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(13029 posts)
On a related note, Dow Chemical has decided to settle a class action suit for $835 million rather than appeal to SCOTUS, citing the current composition of the court.

Also, the New York Rifle and Pistol Association has also decided not to appeal to the court, also citing the death of Scalia as a contributing factor.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19800 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ... 92  Next »
71 to 80 of 919
TOPIC: Fun Facts
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.