Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Fun Facts
TOPIC: Fun_Facts
« Prev  1 ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ... 106  Next »
61 to 70 of 1056
User Details are only visible to members.
Fun fact:

THREE heads of state from World War II are still alive, although one is disputed as a head of state.

The Dalai Lama

King Simeon II of Bulgaria (who was only 8 at the end of World War II, but king nonetheless)

King Michael I of Romania (24 years old at the end of the war).

Michael was the only de facto head of state - the others were children. He became King of Romania in 1927 at the age of 6, and is thus the last remaining head of state from before World War II.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27126 posts)
Fun fact:

Before celebrities became vaccine-denying assholes they actually were sometimes beneficial to public health.

In 1956, polio vaccination was just 0.6% in the US. Public health officials asked Elvis Presley to assist in spreading awareness and acceptance of a mass immunization campaign, and on Oct. 28, 1956, he was given a polio vaccination on broadcast television.

Within 6 months, 80% of the country was immunized. Some make the argument that no other single act in history has had such a beneficial effect.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27126 posts)
I dunno. The location of the burns made dressing them impossible so I had to just leave them exposed 24/7.

Fun fact: the Manhattan Project was so secretive that when Harry Truman became president, he had been unaware of its existence.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27126 posts)
VA, A burn will obviously affect your skin on a -molecular (?) surface level? Vs a cut that would cleaner.. Interesting to me all the way around.

Makes me think of getting a Chemical Peel at the Dermatologist.

Lafayette TN
Username hidden
(2106 posts)
Annie: I don't know. I have the usual small scars here and there on my body from a lifetime of dings and scratches, and they don't seem to be much different than anyone else's.

Maybe it's because it was a burn instead of a cut?

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27126 posts)
"Fun Fact National Pie Day is celebrated annually on January 23rd."

I love you.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(13691 posts)
Fun Fact

National Pie Day is celebrated annually on January 23rd.

National Pie Day was created simply to celebrate the pie. It is a day for all to bake or cook their favorite pies. Even more importantly, it is a day set aside for all to enjoy eating pies!

The first pies appeared around 9500 BC in the Egyptian Neolithic period or New Stone Age.

Clemmons NC
Username hidden
(4417 posts)
That is interesting!

Do you think it's maybe bc the skin on your face is different?

Lafayette TN
Username hidden
(2106 posts)
Fun fact (about me - not like it matters, but since I'm bored while my wife is criss-crossing the country today...)

I find it amazing how some people heal so much better from injuries than others.

In late 2005 I suffered an accident in my kitchen in which I accidentally (and stupidly) threw a pan of searing hot bacon and grease into my face. My eyes were unhurt, but much of the outer layers of skin sloughed off of my face within seconds. I had second degree burns on about 30% of my face, including some on my eyelids, and 1st degree burns on almost all of the rest.

For a few weeks the sores looked like bacon itself. It was horrible. The pain was beyond imagination.

But within only about 5 weeks they had healed over and other than being bright pink, looked exactly like before. After about 3 months it was like it never happened. In fact, a couple of old scars from a previous oopsie and acne on my face were gone, healed over smooth.

I'm lucky, for sure. My doctor told me she'd never seen anyone heal so fast and perfectly from second degree burns. Technically, I was even better than before. A tiny piece of one eyebrow doesn't grow hair anymore, however.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27126 posts)
Phase I testing is safety and toxicity testing on (usually) a small cohort of healthy, young, male (paid) volunteers.

Healthy = they do not have the condition the drug is intended to treat

They give them escalating doses and look for bad side effects. They measure clearance rates, liver enzymes (i.e. signs of organ damage), etc. Basically, they are paid human lab rats.

They do the initial testing on males for one reason alone: men never get pregnant. Meaning - they can't sue you 10 years later for some problem their baby has. That's really it.

Beyond that, there is normally no gender discrimination, unless there is a specific reason to do so.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27126 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ... 106  Next »
61 to 70 of 1056
TOPIC: Fun Facts
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.