Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Fun Facts
TOPIC: Fun_Facts
« Prev  1 ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ... 116  Next »
61 to 70 of 1153
User Details are only visible to members.
Fun Fact:

38 years after the end of Khmer Rouge rule in Cambodia (resulting in the killings of at least 1.7 million), 19 years after the death of Pol Pot, 11 years and $300 million in costs of United Nations war crimes tribunals.... it's all finally over.

The result: 3 convictions. 2 of them sentenced to life in prison are now 90 and 85 years old.

Efforts well spent.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27962 posts)
Capricorn One... Now, I understand the need to discredit and marginalize OJ. He knew the truth.

Sadly, now, no one will ever believe him,

BTt

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(13078 posts)
Fun fact:

It's been at least 25 years since I attempted to have a serious conversation about that with anyone. I don't intend on breaking my streak now.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27962 posts)
Fun fact:

The earth is flat. I know what the reaction is to that statement. It was the same for me the first time I heard that about 3 years ago. I didn't want to believe it, but it's true. The earth is flat, and everything you've ever heard, read, or seen, to the contrary, is a lie.

Hilliard OH
Username hidden
(2040 posts)
Fun Fact (given the discussion on cell phones "having come a long way")

The first mobile phone service was actually launched in the St. Louis area on June 17, 1946. Yes, 1946. Mobile Telephone service was commercialized by AT&T in 1949 and expanded to over 100 cities, but still had only a small number of subscribers - about 5,000.

The equipment weighed 80 pounds and most were installed inside of vehicles, although some were installed in buildings for which a hard line would not be practical.

It wasn't truly a "mobile phone" service. You basically talked via a radio signal to a local operator who would then patch you through to the number you needed to call. So it was phone-radio-operator-landline-phone, basically. I mean, it worked. 70 years ago. The first (I believe) appearance of a mobile phone was by Humphrey Bogart in the 1954 film Sabrina.

Of course these early phone were fraught with difficulty and very expensive. Unless you had the means and REALLY needed one, you didn't have one.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27962 posts)
No.....not at all {whistles casually}

Fair Oaks TX
Username hidden
(12115 posts)
Ultracrepidarianism is the habit of giving opinions and advice on matters outside of one's knowledge. (does a particular poster come to mind?)

Oak Ridge NC
Username hidden
(4594 posts)
Fun fact:

In 1921 president Warren Harding welcomed Marie Curie to the White House, and presented to her the entirety of (at the time) United States production of radium. 1 gram.

ONE GRAM OF RADIUM handed directly from the president to Marie Curie. Today you probably couldn't get 1 gram of radium within 10 miles of the White House.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27962 posts)
"Does federal or state law mandate residency in a district?"

No. The US Constitution prescribes the requirements for congressmen and says only that they must be electors of the state.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(13921 posts)
"Most, but not all, are due to redistricting. And most still live very closely adjacent to at least part of their districts."

Ok. I can see that, and it's hard to fault them for it.

"There's a congressman in California whose first race was for a district hundreds of mes away from his residence."

How does that happen?

Does federal or state law mandate residency in a district?

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27962 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ... 116  Next »
61 to 70 of 1153
TOPIC: Fun Facts
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.