Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Fun Facts
TOPIC: Fun_Facts
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 143  Next »
51 to 60 of 1421
User Details are only visible to members.
According to the wikipedia article the last Blue Fugate was born in 1975 and he lost his bluish hue as he got older. So the genes are still floating around out there but they are sufficiently diluted that they are unlikely to pop up again except by a rare accident.

Unfortunately most image searches for the Blue Fugates are confounded by people confusing it methemoglobinemia with argyria, which is the blue color that morons get from drinking colloidal silver.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28452 posts)
I hadn't heard about them but it adds a little perspective. I went to visit my great-grandma when I was 9 in Appalachia. I got all sorts of flowers and candy laid on the doorstep. I even got a marriage proposal because I had "pure blood."

They were desperate for some diversity in the gene pool I guess.

Chicago IL
Username hidden
(1139 posts)
I read about these people. Interesting story about them.

Rutherford NJ
Username hidden
(8372 posts)
The blue people of Kentucky.

In an unusual story that involves both genetics and geography, an entire family from isolated Appalachia was tinged blue. Their ancestral line began six generations earlier with a French orphan, Martin Fugate, who settled in Eastern Kentucky.

Doctors don't see much of the rare blood disorder today, because mountain people have dispersed and the family gene pool is much more diverse.

The Fugate progeny had a genetic condition called methemoglobinemia, which was passed down through a recessive gene and blossomed through intermarriage.

Methemoglobinemia is a blood disorder in which an abnormal amount of methemoglobin -- a form of hemoglobin -- is produced, according to the National Institutes for Health. Hemoglobin is responsible for distributing oxygen to the body and without oxygen, the heart, brain and muscles can die.

In methemoglobinemia, the hemoglobin is unable to carry oxygen and it also makes it difficult for unaffected hemoglobin to release oxygen effectively to body tissues. Patients' lips are purple, the skin looks blue and the blood is "chocolate colored" because it is not oxygenated

~rabbit~

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(5578 posts)
I didn't know that about red pistachios. I wondered why I don't see them anymore. I also thought they taste better and thought it was a special variety that was taken over by plain blah ones. I'll be damned.

Rutherford NJ
Username hidden
(8372 posts)
Mary Lee update still in Jersey ,but is way off shore ,but in line with Beach haven N.J. Gee I wonder if she hanging out with Bruce the Shark

Ronkonkoma NY
Username hidden
(11352 posts)
It's the dried tears of infidels :)

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28452 posts)
OMG! Iranian pistacios are da bomb! every time my cousin's hubby eoyld go back to visit his folks, be would being them back. The salt on them is different. I do not know what it is, but it's better!

Fair Oaks TX
Username hidden
(12211 posts)
I have a buddy who grew up in Iran.

Brings back pistachios every time he goes back. Which is much more problematic these days.

Nothing like Iranian pistachios...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(21950 posts)
Oh no! Help us!

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28452 posts)
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 143  Next »
51 to 60 of 1421
TOPIC: Fun Facts
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.