Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Fun Facts
TOPIC: Fun_Facts
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 142  Next »
21 to 30 of 1420
User Details are only visible to members.
I guess the semantic were in the fact that there was no democratic rule. It wasn't until the officers in the army stages their peaceful coup. His downfall was undoubtly that everyone tired of the African wars. Too many were lost in Portugal's equivalent to the Vietnam War. Portugal's vast colonialistic control had come to an end. My parents and their friends spoke of the fear that everyone had at the time.

Little Egg Harbor NJ
Username hidden
(2350 posts)
I know this is probably a question of semantics and what constitutes a "dictatorship", but wasn't Franco at least in most respects a dictator until the very end in late 1975?

I realize that he (oddly enough) laid some of the foundation for a (comparatively) smooth transition to democracy before he died.

In any case, a carnation for you.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28410 posts)
Fun Fact: Portugal was under a dictatorship until April 25, 1974. It was the last dictatorship in Western Europe. I was born under that regime.

Little Egg Harbor NJ
Username hidden
(2350 posts)
Franco also banned Catalonian but allowed Gallego. It was just confusing.

Little Egg Harbor NJ
Username hidden
(2350 posts)
Old Basque saying : Before God was God ,Basque were Basque . Sounds better in Basque really LOL

Ronkonkoma NY
Username hidden
(11317 posts)
Hey Fokker be nice about my Basque cousin , Fun Fact ,the Basque language is untraceable , No one know where it was really from . After Franco won the war in the 30s ,he ban the Basque from speaking there our language ,he want every one to speak Spanish . The women refused and kept the language alive speaking it in there homes and between other women . I know a few word but my Mom and my Tia Marie spoke it between them selfs . I said you two should be code talkers for the Marines LOL . Ever my Dad who was born in Spain didn't speak Basque so well. Just a fun fact about the basque

Ronkonkoma NY
Username hidden
(11317 posts)
In private industry a master degree is what you want. no one will hire a PHD because the employer knows that they had to buy the liberal party line to get that PHD. Also a PHD has to believe that they know everything to get that PHD and are impossible to work with or manage.

The lab needed a PHD to get access to the Social Security death master file as a research organization. The government requires a PHD to do so. They hired five PHDs that where worthless and had to fire, until they found a geneticist that worked in private industry. She worked out.

Its not your degree, its the knowledge and work ethic that you bring to the table that is valuable. Mrs is one of the most highly paid and respected epidemiologist in the country because of her scientific knowledge and ability to do real science with just a masters degree.

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(5545 posts)
Jai Alai is the fastest ball sport. The ball can trave close to 200mph within the confined area.

It traces back to the Basque Country of Spain... now where is resident Basque....

Little Egg Harbor NJ
Username hidden
(2350 posts)
There's some in South Florida.

Even a town named Jai Alai....

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28410 posts)
I was thinking about that after you posted it. Jai Lai used to be huge in Tijuana, but I haven't seen anything about it for a long time...

There is actually a 30 for 30 titled "What the Hell Happened to Jai Alai?"

Gotta look that up...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(21926 posts)
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 142  Next »
21 to 30 of 1420
TOPIC: Fun Facts
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.