Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Fun Facts
TOPIC: Fun_Facts
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 165  Next »
21 to 30 of 1649
User Details are only visible to members.
We have a Chocolate Lab, one year old. He is like my shadow, follows me.

Thornton CO
Username hidden
(4187 posts)
This one isn’t from today’s “The Hustle”:

The travel photographer who’s crushing it -- without ever leaving home

Jacqui Kenny is a travel photographer who doesn’t travel and has never used a professional camera before. It sounds absurd, but it’s true. And she’s kind of killing it. Kenny has agoraphobia, an extreme anxiety disorder that makes it difficult for her to leave her home in the UK. But, by using Google Street View, she has “traveled” the world taking more than 27k screenshots along the way, in what she calls “Street View photography.” Changing the photography game Sometimes working 18 hour days, Kenny transports herself around the world through Google’s lens, showing people what it’s like to be up close and personal at a camel race in the United Arab Emirates, or a topiary tree in Winslow Arizona. Time-consuming as it is, she believes Street View photography has a unique beauty to it that people don’t get from regular photos. “I love the angle of the camera, this slight oddness, the 360-ness and even the blurred faces,” she says. “Everything that gives it a bit of an other worldly feel.” People are catching on More than 200 of Kenny’s screen-grabbed images appear on her Instagram account, the Agoraphobic Traveller, which has more than 56k followers. Now, her Street View photography has actually forced her to travel for realzies: her first exhibit is now in New York, where visitors can look at her photos using a pair of VR goggles.

Little Egg Harbor NJ
Username hidden
(2513 posts)
This story may have been told before, and possibly by me, but I came across it again and have long found it amusing.

In 1965, 47 year old Andre-Francois Raffray had a law practice that he ran from his condominium Arles, France. He sought to expand his office space by purchasing a neighboring unit and merging the two. He approached his neighbors and found a 90 year old woman, to whom he proposed a deal:

He'd pay her 2,500 francs (~$400) a month for the remainder of her life, and when she died the apartment would become his. She was a widow whose only child died some years before, and didn't have anyone in particular to leave it to; this would allow her to live in her apartment for the rest of her life and make her more financially comfortable. From his standpoint - how much longer could she possibly live? They made the deal.

In 1996, at the age of 77, Mr. Raffray died, having paid the equivalent of about $180,000 to Ms. Jeanne Calment, who herself died the next year at the age of 122, the oldest person in history. Calment's comment on this situation was reported to be, "In life, one sometimes makes bad deals."

--- I don't know if it was a "bad deal" so much as just astoundingly bad luck on the part of Mr. Raffrey.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28737 posts)
Sphynx cat... That's the hairless variety made famous in the Austin Pewers flicks.

I'm guessing he and the Mrs have one, because lord knows they don't need any other hirsute entities clogging the drains during shedding season.

BT

Los Angeles CA
Username hidden
(13623 posts)
it has made me wonder what kind of pet NCal would have. Any thoughts on that Forum?

Yosemite National Park CA
Username hidden
(43 posts)
No dog was willing

Fair Oaks TX
Username hidden
(12303 posts)
Donald Trump is the first U.S. President in the last 100 years not to own a dog. Don't know if that is a symptom or a cause

Yosemite National Park CA
Username hidden
(43 posts)
FF - John Lithgow's childhood babysitter was Coretta Scott King. Who knew?

Tampa FL
Username hidden
(4936 posts)
HFT LOL

Little Egg Harbor NJ
Username hidden
(2513 posts)
Those in store blood pressure machine are off if you workout with weights and have muscle in your arm. Ten points high on the top number. If you have thin arms the reading will be ten points high on both readings.

Get your blood pressure taken the old fashion way.

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(6937 posts)
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 165  Next »
21 to 30 of 1649
TOPIC: Fun Facts
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.