Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Fun Facts
TOPIC: Fun_Facts
« Prev  1 ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ... 92  Next »
131 to 140 of 919
User Details are only visible to members.
OK, I'm entirely less disturbed by the potential it was obtained from human hair than I am by it being obtained from chicken feathers.

Entirely

~rabbit~

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(4133 posts)
It's entirely inaccurate to equate "obtained from chicken feathers" with "contains chicken feathers".

Entirely.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25236 posts)
FF - I'm less disturbed by the potential for L-cysteine to contain human hair than I am by it containing chicken feathers.

~rabbit~

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(4133 posts)
Headlining a tour with that Jewish rapper... Ice Berg.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25236 posts)
Isn't he a rapper? Chunky T?

Cocoa Beach FL
Username hidden
(8261 posts)
eewwwwwweeeeewwwww!!!!

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(12686 posts)
FF: I'm an equal opportunity omnivore.

A bit of hair or an insect leg in my taco won't weird me out, but stand WAY back if I see rodent droppings in my cup. I don't like chunky tea.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(5409 posts)
Well the problem is that everything is composed of chemicals, and chemical names for everything exist, even if you've never heard them. For instance, I'm not sure what the complaint was about cysteine (mentioned below). I can see why it would be a particular ethical concern for Rabbit because she's a vegan, and it is typically (but not exclusively) sourced from waste animal protein. The human hair part is an urban legend. Although human hair is a decent source of cysteine (and isolation of cysteine from human hair is a common undergraduate chemistry demonstration), we do not produce even close to enough of it to be competitive with farming waste sources.

However, there is nothing wrong with cysteine itself, irrespective of where it comes from. Rabbit herself contains roughly half of a pound of cysteine.

EDIT while many, many articles exist stating that cysteine is sourced from human hair, the supporting information for this is very thin. This is actually explicitly banned in many jurisdictions, although I'm not sure why it matters to anyone.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25236 posts)
It's funny, because... A close friend worked for a major food products company's R&D department. So I've heard the DEAD reference before.

It's funny because... a week ago we were discussing a certain prepackaged/processed food. He said he avoided a certain brand that contained a certain chemical. He avoided it not because he believes it is unsafe or tastes unpleasant, but simply because he can taste the chemical, so he chooses a different brand. He said the average person would never taste it, but after years of R&D on products, he knew it was in that one and he could taste it.

Apparently you get "sick" of tasting some things.

FF: He lost 70 pounds over the last few years. Trying to find the perfect food product for US consumers' tastes had it's effects.

Oh, and I have no idea what the hell these chemicals are or if they are bad for you. I trust OWEBAMA to keep the food supply safe.

Yeah, I had to.

;-)

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(5409 posts)
Oh yes Good ,delicious fish ,we are lucky we get both of them at our local B.J.s fresh

Ronkonkoma NY
Username hidden
(8149 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ... 92  Next »
131 to 140 of 919
TOPIC: Fun Facts
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.