10% of all proceeds from purchased memberships will be donated to the victims and families of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas tragedy.
SwingLifeStyle.com

Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Fun Facts
TOPIC: Fun_Facts
Created by: Goodenuff
Original Starting post for this thread:
I was trying to remember which eggs in the refrigerator were hard boiled and which were not, when an idea for a thread topic occurred to me.

Does anybody have any fun facts to share? You know, those always fun and often useless facts that just might come in handy to know someday?

For example....

Did you know that if you were to take all of the veins from your body and lay them end to end along the equator that you would die?

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 178  Next »
1 to 10 of 1775
User Details are only visible to members.
Did you know James Blunt recorded 'Goodbye My Lover' in Carrie Fisher's bathroom?

Clemmons NC
Username hidden
(5057 posts)
If you want to see what sometimes happens to young Indian girls when they’re married off in young childhood and then widowed, watch the movie ‘Water.’ It’s in Hindi w subtitles.

One of the best movies I’ve probably ever seen..stays with you.

Annie

Lafayette TN
Username hidden
(4146 posts)
the statistics for india regarding human rights for girls and women are quite brutal. very, gruesomely, brutal.

while i don’t agree with the kidnapping of men for the purpose of forcible marriage, i’d much prefer to see the extremely archaic, bribe-, graft-, misogynistic- driven societal morés change so that families did not feel it was necessary to take those steps.

india is not (unfortunately) the only country that has these problems by the way—it’s just that the “news” is reporting on the stories from there at the moment.

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(18138 posts)
"Fun" (most like "interesting", in a morbid way) fact: while the forced marriage of women and girls (and sometimes young boys) has been known worldwide throughout history, the Indian states of Uttar Pradesh and Bihar record a signficant amount of a phenomenon known as groom kidnapping.

Demands of a dowry (always from the bride's family) for marriage have been illegal in India since 1961 but the practice is still widespread, especially in poor and rural areas. In Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, two of the poorest and most underdeveloped areas of India, the families of women have taken to hiring armed gangs to locate bachelors (typically educated or from prominent families) which they otherwise could never afford to satisfy with a dowry and quite literally kidnap them and force them to marry. The "weddings" are celebrated by the bride's family (and in modern times, recorded like any other), complete with the groom tied up if he is deemed a flight risk.

At least 1,200 such weddings happen a year in Uttar Pradesh alone, and that's just what's reported.

Unfortunately, the men (or their families) that report them don't usually have much recourse. If the groom tries to extricate himself from the marriage, he faces lengthy legal battles and even criminal charges under Indian Dowry law, which is geared towards protecting the rights of women in the marriage as in most cases, the bride's family is financially strong and politically connected. Over the years, organized criminals have become part of the practice, as they carry out abductions for a fee and also guarantee post-marriage "compliance" by the groom for an extra fee. Thus many such marriages go unreported and often continue under fear of violence from local criminals.

Crazy zhit.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(29180 posts)
oh no kibbs! feel better soon!!!!

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(18138 posts)
Birthday Party today. Wife baked a vanilla cake and chocolate icing this morning. Then puts the cake covered cake on the Baby Grand Piano, "FOR SAFE KEEPING". DEXTER, OUR CHOCOLATE LAB, when we were not looking reached up and ate half the cake. HEARD THE WIFE SCREAMING, I THOUGHT THERE WAS A MURDER.

Thornton CO
Username hidden
(4863 posts)
Kibbs, ouch that's gotta hurt. Feel better soon!

Parsippany NJ
Username hidden
(1397 posts)
Oh no Kibbs, that sounds terrible. How’s school going?

Irving TX
Username hidden
(1233 posts)
@ kibbs. You know what I like about you, Kibbie? Aside from the obvious, of course, I love the fact that when I click on your SF profile... I actually see pics.

It's quite refreshing. Thank you. :)

Titusville FL
Username hidden
(521 posts)
Kibbs, that's an odd definition of "fun". Hope you get to heeling better soon.

Woodville TX
Username hidden
(715 posts)
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 178  Next »
1 to 10 of 1775
TOPIC: Fun Facts
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.