Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Fun Facts
TOPIC: Fun_Facts
Created by: Goodenuff
Original Starting post for this thread:
I was trying to remember which eggs in the refrigerator were hard boiled and which were not, when an idea for a thread topic occurred to me.

Does anybody have any fun facts to share? You know, those always fun and often useless facts that just might come in handy to know someday?

For example....

Did you know that if you were to take all of the veins from your body and lay them end to end along the equator that you would die?

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 99  Next »
1 to 10 of 990
User Details are only visible to members.
Fun Fact

National Pie Day is celebrated annually on January 23rd.

National Pie Day was created simply to celebrate the pie. It is a day for all to bake or cook their favorite pies. Even more importantly, it is a day set aside for all to enjoy eating pies!

The first pies appeared around 9500 BC in the Egyptian Neolithic period or New Stone Age.

Clemmons NC
Username hidden
(4306 posts)
That is interesting!

Do you think it's maybe bc the skin on your face is different?

Lafayette TN
Username hidden
(1664 posts)
Fun fact (about me - not like it matters, but since I'm bored while my wife is criss-crossing the country today...)

I find it amazing how some people heal so much better from injuries than others.

In late 2005 I suffered an accident in my kitchen in which I accidentally (and stupidly) threw a pan of searing hot bacon and grease into my face. My eyes were unhurt, but much of the outer layers of skin sloughed off of my face within seconds. I had second degree burns on about 30% of my face, including some on my eyelids, and 1st degree burns on almost all of the rest.

For a few weeks the sores looked like bacon itself. It was horrible. The pain was beyond imagination.

But within only about 5 weeks they had healed over and other than being bright pink, looked exactly like before. After about 3 months it was like it never happened. In fact, a couple of old scars from a previous oopsie and acne on my face were gone, healed over smooth.

I'm lucky, for sure. My doctor told me she'd never seen anyone heal so fast and perfectly from second degree burns. Technically, I was even better than before. A tiny piece of one eyebrow doesn't grow hair anymore, however.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(26543 posts)
Phase I testing is safety and toxicity testing on (usually) a small cohort of healthy, young, male (paid) volunteers.

Healthy = they do not have the condition the drug is intended to treat

They give them escalating doses and look for bad side effects. They measure clearance rates, liver enzymes (i.e. signs of organ damage), etc. Basically, they are paid human lab rats.

They do the initial testing on males for one reason alone: men never get pregnant. Meaning - they can't sue you 10 years later for some problem their baby has. That's really it.

Beyond that, there is normally no gender discrimination, unless there is a specific reason to do so.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(26543 posts)
I always thought drugs were tested on and dosed based on men so many side effects for women were considered strange or psychological.

Ironically I read somewhere that improving compliance actually had worse results because of increased side effects. In most cases (except antibiotics I suppose) a missed dose every once in a while can be beneficial.

Perhaps they need to broaden the testing field after the first round to check further for side effects. I understand the need for more stringent requirements because of possible effects on a developing fetus but come on, there are some difference even before you take size into account.

Irving TX
Username hidden
(992 posts)
FF One does not have to pee on a fence to discover it is electrified.

Woodville TX
Username hidden
(528 posts)
Fun fact #2: Phase I clinical trials are almost always conducted only on young men. Care to guess why?

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(26543 posts)
Fun fact #1: Most men underdose on prescriptions.

Generally, prescription dosing does not take into account the size or gender of the patient. A round of azithromycin is the same for a 250 pound man as it is for a 100 pound woman.

When it comes to dosing recommendations, manufacturers make pills intended for 100 pound women. If the prescribing doctor doesn't take into account differences in the size of the patient (and often gender), this means that a small woman feels the full force of the drug (for good or bad) while a large man does not.

Many drugs are metabolized considerably faster by men, even when correcting for body weight. This is not well understood, but for Ambien, for instance, a 250 pound man will clear it about 4 times as fast as a 100 pound woman, higher than one would predict based on the body weight difference.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(26543 posts)
What did the US respond back with? " I could tell you but then I would have to kill you"?

Rutherford NJ
Username hidden
(6575 posts)
Fun Fact:

The first message sent to Moscow via the Washington-Moscow Hotline was a (very common) test message, reading "THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG 1234567890".

Moscow, competent in English but not familiar with the use of the sentence for typography testing, responded with "What do your people mean when they say "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"?"

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(26543 posts)
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 99  Next »
1 to 10 of 990
TOPIC: Fun Facts
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.