Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Fun Facts
TOPIC: Fun_Facts
Created by: Goodenuff
Original Starting post for this thread:
I was trying to remember which eggs in the refrigerator were hard boiled and which were not, when an idea for a thread topic occurred to me.

Does anybody have any fun facts to share? You know, those always fun and often useless facts that just might come in handy to know someday?

For example....

Did you know that if you were to take all of the veins from your body and lay them end to end along the equator that you would die?

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 106  Next »
1 to 10 of 1056
User Details are only visible to members.
FF: President Calvin Coolidge enjoyed childish practical jokes such as buzzing for his bodyguards then hiding under his desk as they frantically searched for him, presumably fearing him kidnapped.

Clemmons NC
Username hidden
(4422 posts)
FUN fact! As of 6:29a.m., it's Spring!!! Woot!

Tallahassee FL
Username hidden
(461 posts)
"Start a new thread called Facts. I am not finding your facts fun!"

This thread definitely lacks the fun factor.

Tallahassee FL
Username hidden
(461 posts)
..has me thinking about it that's for sure. Very interesting.

Rutherford NJ
Username hidden
(7070 posts)
Is it. It's based upon the 1973 book of the same name by Oliver Sacks, who was the actual doctor involved in it.

Oliver Sacks was a spectacular writer of his medical stories. He died in 2015.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27145 posts)
My gf says that there was something at the beginning of the movie that says it was a true story. .for some reason it did not register with me.

Rutherford NJ
Username hidden
(7070 posts)
I love that movie, but it's so painful to watch everyone slipping away and their families and doctors trying in vain to stop it.

I should add that the condition still occurs, rarely. But it is not clear if what caused the original epidemic continues to cause the occasional sporadic cases, and some believe they are not exactly the same disease.

I wish I could find that story about the last survivor of it. I wanted to say she was from Alabama but I'm not sure.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27145 posts)
Unreal! I did watch the movie and gonna watch it again. Didn't know this..wow!

Rutherford NJ
Username hidden
(7070 posts)
re: afflicted at least 2 million people worldwide from 1915 to 1926. The causitive agent was never identified, and it killed 1 million of its victims, while leaving the other 1 million in the frozen state

Not quite correct, for the sake of being anal. It is thought to have struck around 5 million. About 1.5 million died in the acute stage, around 3.5 million recovered, albeit sometimes with certain permanent motor impairments, and around 1 million were left catatonic.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27145 posts)
Lol

Before this thread was created, I posted this one in Happy Thoughts 2013. It brought a great response.

One of the most mysterious plagues in history is finally over.

Have you seen the movie "Awakenings" with Robert DeNiro and Robin Williams? A spectacular and very sad movie, and part of the (mostly) true story of Oliver Sacks.

The patients in the movie suffered from a diseases called Encephalitis lethargica, which afflicted at least 2 million people worldwide from 1915 to 1926. The causitive agent was never identified, and it killed 1 million of its victims, while leaving the other 1 million in the frozen state seen in the movie.

The very last victim of this disease died last week. She was 90 years old. She was struck with the disease as a 3 year old in 1926, and lived for just under 87 years, in a semi-conscious frozen coma-like state. At one point, entire hospitals were built to accomodate the patients, who really just needed to be fed, bathed and dressed. Most victims had died by the 1960s, having succumbed to respiratory problems and general physical atrophy. But a few lingered on. And the very last one has finally left us.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27145 posts)
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 106  Next »
1 to 10 of 1056
TOPIC: Fun Facts
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.