Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Fun Facts
TOPIC: Fun_Facts
Created by: Goodenuff
Original Starting post for this thread:
I was trying to remember which eggs in the refrigerator were hard boiled and which were not, when an idea for a thread topic occurred to me.

Does anybody have any fun facts to share? You know, those always fun and often useless facts that just might come in handy to know someday?

For example....

Did you know that if you were to take all of the veins from your body and lay them end to end along the equator that you would die?

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 91  Next »
1 to 10 of 901
User Details are only visible to members.
Fun fact that will forever make you use this word different - and cringe when you hear it...

The word "gingerly" means, more or less, "carefully" or possibly even spritely. Like, if you're walking "gingerly", you're likely sort of tiptoeing, ballet-dancer style...

The origin of this word stems from a practice called "gingering", which was to make horses walk differently. They would raise their tail and walk in a more attentive, prancing fashion for show purposes. It was called "gingering" because they would rub ground ginger on the horse's anus in order to irritate it, causing a (temporary) change in how they walk.

So now you know that doing something "gingerly" actually means doing it in such a dainty way as to not hurt your poor raw asshole.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24785 posts)
Fun Fact

the last time there was a full moon for the summer solstice I was in utero. Trooper says that explains a lot lol.

Louisville KY
Username hidden
(20967 posts)
At the Tennessee aquarium, an electric eel named Miguel Wattson (I see what you did there) has its own Twitter account, with posts appearing every time it emits a sufficiently strong discharge.

So far, the posts to the account (@EelectricMiguel) have been a mix of environmental conservation messages, scientific facts and groan-inducing fin-slappers, including this quip from Dec. 30:

"If I was an artist, I'd be an eel-ustrator!"

And this one, from Jan. 7: "What do I do in my down time? Brush up on current events!"

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24785 posts)
umbrellas are not just for rain.

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(10256 posts)
tbr, we don't hear conservatives saying it. Only LIBERALS say it because they have no room for other opinions.

Thornton CO
Username hidden
(2523 posts)
Or all those people who say they are going to leave the country if their preferred candidate doesn't get elected.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19500 posts)
sounds like just the project that would appeal to Kanye…

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(10256 posts)
If you ever feel like being a King or a Queen, and have the resources, I have a place for you.

Due to a long-standing border dispute (the details of which are complicated) there exists an 800 sq mile patch of land between Sudan and Egypt known as Bir Tawil. It is considered the only "habitable" place on Earth that truly belongs to nobody.

Because of the nature of the border dispute, both Egypt and Sudan have explicitly renounced all claims to it. Other than a few remote areas of Antarctica, this is the only accessible land on the planet that no government has any jurisdiction over whatsoever. It seems that if you had the resources to establish residency there and claim it as yours, your claim will eventually be recognized and voila - you too can be a benevolent (or not) monarch.

The trick is establishing residency. I said "habitable" in quotes because it would probably be impossible to live there long-term without external connections to one of the neighboring countries. Bir Tawil is just about the most useless piece of land on Earth that isn't covered in ice.

Now, I should mention that the area currently has been claimed by one Jeremiah Heaton, an American who in 2014 traveled to the region, planted a flag, claimed it, named it as the Kingdom of North Sudan, and made his 6 year old daughter a princess. Not only has he set up a website supporting it (kingdomsudan. org) but Disney has actually purchased rights to making a film called the Princess of North Sudan.

Bear in mind this is the Internet age, so things are about to get worse. As soon as this happened, everyone called the whole thing racist. Because everything is racist. Because that's how people are. "Are white people still allowed to just travel to Africa and take land?". Well, Africans are allowed to do it too. The idea that the first Disney princess from Africa will be white has enraged a lot of people with nothing better to do.

So - if you want the country for yourself - I suppose you will have to depose the current unrecognized King. Since he is still in the US that should be easy. A Jeep and a fortnight's supply of pizza and water will probably do it, driving across bumfuckland, Sudan to reach it.

Like I said - to have it be yours forever you will need to find a way to exist there long-term, and Egypt and Sudan sure as hell aren't going to help you. You can forget about water - it's in the middle of the Nubian Desert and gets rain perhaps once every 5 years, and unless you bring a rig with you to drill to 1,000 feet you won't have a well. Beats me what you're going to eat - you'll be the only thing alive there, until you eventually dry up and die too.

But if you have the money to basically build a small settlement in the middle of nowhere, bring solar panels, make a well and probably some greenhouses, it's probably as least feasible to make it happen. For perhaps $50 million, you can actually be the last person on Earth to just barge into a piece of land and create an empire.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24785 posts)
Back in 1955, the marketing execs for Quaker Puffed Rice and Puffed Wheat came up with an ingenious way to sell breakfast cereal. They bought 19.11 acres of land on the Yukon River in Canada. Then they divided up the land into 21 million square-inch plots and gave away deeds for these 1-inch plots inside the cereal boxes, which flew off the shelves.

Nobody at Quaker Oats could have anticipated the mass idiocy of American consumers. One guy had over 10,000 deeds and wanted to convert them into one single piece of property that would be a little less than a quarter-acre. And Quaker received thousands of letters from consumers who wanted to mine their 1 square inch for gold. However, mineral rights were not included in the deeds, and if gold would have been discovered, it would not have accrued to the deed holders.

Quaker Oats never paid taxes on the Yukon land, so in 1965 the Canadian government reclaimed it. Which means that anyone who still has one of those land deeds no longer has any claim to the tiny plot of land. However, the deeds themselves have appreciated considerably in value as collector's items.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24785 posts)
FF: when the tag says "lay flat to dry"

....well, i won't go there.

:~P

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(10256 posts)
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 91  Next »
1 to 10 of 901
TOPIC: Fun Facts
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.