Flooring : Swingers Discussion 218509101
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumFlooring
TOPIC: Flooring
Created by: kajun_cpl
Original Starting post for this thread:
We are putting new flooring in our kitchen and utility room and having trouble deciding what to use. Our home is on a cement slab FYI. I'm leaning towards porcelain tile, however I don't want to make the wrong decision....so many choices.

If anyone has any advice or want to share a paticular type of flooring that you are really happy with I would appreciate it.

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
 1 to 10 of 56   End
User Details are only visible to members.
as to the Oil for heat. It is debatable which is cheaper, that depends on the availability and how things are provided. Gas tends to be cleaner to burn and with less maintanance, but Oil will get you almost twice the BTU's out of a gallan of gas than you get out of a gallon of Propane or natural gas. Depending on pricing Lp can be more expensive by almost twice over the course of a heating season.

For the colder points of the winter season I use #2 fuel oil, usually around mid march I switch over to Electric hot forced air, since the electric is cheaper than either fuel or gas.

I hear arguments that wood is cheaper or free, ( I used to burn @ 5-6 Full cord in our old home) when I was in the planning stages of this home ,I spent a great deal of time looking at the equipment I bought , from saws, to splitters, the dump trailers, Truck, fuel , and time cutting splitting , stacking , moving, and loading wood into a stove, then the cleaning of the stove, the added time cleaning a dusty home, extra times I painted . etc.... The wood cost me an equiviant of paying @ 6.00 a gallon of oil. And I got my wood For free.

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9680 posts)
Correct, if the tile has no voids in the mastic and the subfloor is solid the tile will not crack.

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9680 posts)
porcelain will never crack if installed properly. we have it in the game room. there is a pooltable and the f..... kids always drop the ball. not one cracked. ceramic is more brittle.

Jamaica NY
Username hidden
(881 posts)
Cplofswingers,

Thanks for the explanation. Your comment about it not being practical in your opinion, followed by this comment "Not to mention that porcelain floor really doesn't fit in my budget to begin with."...made me think there was another reason besides it not being budget friendly. It was just a little confusing to me is all....but I gotcha now.

I hear you....I'm pretty frugal too...hate to spend $$$ on flooring, but I also want to be able to look at it and be happy...plus if we ever sell our home I would think our flooring choice might be a big deal to potential buyers...but who knows. Also I'm thinking paying a little more for something that will stand the test of time vs saving some money now is probably the way to go.....not that it's a guarantee, as all flooring has pros and cons....but you get what you pay for...well sometimes anyway.

Oh and btw I agree with you...if my utility room wasn't viewable and it was some closed off space in my home...I'd go cheap on it....probably just leave it plain concrete.

Anacoco LA
Username hidden
(20 posts)
Yeah, that'd be one hell of a washer to crack ceramic or porcelain tile.

But you should drop an extra 20 bucks on some pads to put under the feet/contact points so that you don't scratch the shit our of your tile in the event that you need to slide one of them away from the wall. Aside from protecting the floor, it also makes moving them a hell of a lot easier. And this really applies no matter what type of floor you have under them. Even if it's cheap vinyl, still better to put something under the feet so you don't rip the flooring.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3199 posts)
No it wouldn't crack, Robert. Not even when you run 30 dryers (doubles) and 40 washers, both of commercial size.

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16378 posts)
For me, it's pretty much a cost thing. I'd never put that kind of money into a laundry room. It's a lot of dressing for a room that I'm not overly concerned with. But I'm a lower middle class dude living on a lower middle class income, so even if I wanted to do that to my own laundry room, the cost would probably be more than I could (or would want to) spend. I'm sure I could afford it if I stopped spending on other things, but I'm not sacrificing my overall quality of life to put tile floor in my laundry room. Functional is all I care about for a utility room. I'd rather spend that money on a new patio set or something. Just my preference. :-)

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3199 posts)
Wouldn't the weight cause the porcelain to crack? It is to my understanding that most washers/dryers sit on quieter sized feet.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7251 posts)
Cplofunswingers,

I am curious as to why you don't think porcelain or ceramic tile would be practical in a laundry room???

Anacoco LA
Username hidden
(20 posts)
Had to keep my 2nd fridge in the garage when I lived in Cali too. Didn't have room in the house for it. I doubt I even saved much money by having it. Summer temps in the desert were well over 110 so I'm sure the thing was sucking a ton of energy just to keep the food cold and/or frozen. But it still kept me from making a weekly trip to the store, which was almost an hour of total commute time by itself. So yeah, it was still worth it. Right now, we just have a full size freezer in the basement.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3199 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
 1 to 10 of 56   End
TOPIC: Flooring