Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Early Retirement Draw 75-100%
TOPIC: Early_Retirement_Draw_75-100%
Created by: 8inchcable
Original Starting post for this thread:
Imagine retiring at your current age, drawing 75-100% of your monthly pay. Spouse and kids (if any) go to work and school. What do you do all day?

1  2  Next »
1 to 10 of 16
User Details are only visible to members.
I was mostly wondering about the relative retirement age. Not thinking of moving...

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(2248 posts)
"Does anyone have any first hand experience in any other first world country where national health care is a fact"

29 years of it. I've talked at length here about the pluses and minuses. There are plenty of both.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28793 posts)
8inch, good for you. Do it if you can ! If I win the lottery while im in traffic, I'd leave the company car right on the side of the road while it was running. Nobody would ever hear from me again.

Summerville SC
Username hidden
(540 posts)
How could you go to a swing party and fuck your brains out if you are disabled? My brother in law pulled the same shit in his twenties faking a back injury and getting full disability from the Air Force.

He loads his bike on top of the car and goes on long bike rides. I have been so tempted to turn him in but it would destroy my mother so dont.

America is not a place for the young and next generations anymore. To many people are leeches living for free on the backs of the few people who work.

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(7295 posts)
"I told him "(name) - if I won $200 million tonight, I'd take you all to lunch tomorrow, and none of you would ever see me again."

Shit... I'm 45 yrs old. If I won $2 mil after taxes, I would have a Chinese buffet delivered with top shelf open bar at my former job.

They wouldn't see my Black ass again unless we ran into each other at a swing club or party. Til then, their last memory of me...... the back of my head, elbows and the orange Levi tag on my ass pocket!

Brown Deer WI
Username hidden
(2825 posts)
Flip, yep. I got more than 200%.

I went into the Air Force at 20, way back in the late 1900's... 1992 to be exact. Got out in 1997, got engaged, got cheated on, got un-engaged. Did the telecom contract gypsy stuff til 2002 when jobs dried up.

Went back into the AF in 2002 at age 30! Medical issues, surgery, repeat. Medical boarded out in 2008 at age 36 on Temp Retired status (TDRL).

Waited around in ATL looking for Cali or Alaska jobs. Drove truck with U-haul trailer from ATL to Fairbanks, AK and then to Phoenix the next yr. Enrolled and dropped out of ASU a couple times in my 4 yrs in AS.

Now I'm 100% VA disability since 2010 (age 38), much, much bigger check than drawing E-5 retirement pay for 11yrs active duty. Most 100% rated ppl can't legally work. Blessing and a curse to be salary capped and medically covered 100% for the last 30-45 of life.

Brown Deer WI
Username hidden
(2825 posts)
Flip Flops,

The "Benefits" part of it is the rub, isn't it? Presumably you're talking health benefits since Cable's hypothetical included pay.

I wonder how many more people would retire early if this country ever achieved actual national health care not connected to aged (Medicare) or indigent (Medicaid) status. I suspect that, for some lawmakers, that's part of the political/economic calculus. Does anyone have any first hand experience in any other first world country where national health care is a fact (that pretty much covers all of them)? Do people tend to retire significantly earlier? Say in their fifties?

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(2248 posts)
I have a large number of interests. So many in fact that it's difficult to stay focused on work.

I like to exercise. A lot. I ride my bike. I read. A lot. I'm trying to learn Spanish but haven't been able to make enough time. I love to cook. I like to just walk around and check stuff out. Play cards. If I were retired I would probably do things to my house that I currently pay people to do, like paint, trim work etc.

I have more than enough interests to occupy my time.

At a previous job, one of those mega-jackpots was coming around, and as always people talk about what they'd do if they won. My boss told me "I know you... you love science too much. You'd still be here no matter how much you won."

I told him "(name) - if I won $200 million tonight, I'd take you all to lunch tomorrow, and none of you would ever see me again."

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28793 posts)
Government in America is an obscenity as we become the Soviet Union.

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(7295 posts)
8inch, i hope you get to do that. I know id take the 75% in a heartbeat and run if it included benefits. Im killing myself working to retire before 55. I dont have any bills, no mortgage etc... just need some more cash in hand then im out. My goal is to wear flipflops and golf shoes everyday (clothes too) .

Summerville SC
Username hidden
(540 posts)
1  2  Next »
1 to 10 of 16
TOPIC: Early Retirement Draw 75-100
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.