Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Doing the math
TOPIC: Doing_the_math
« Prev  1  2  3  4 
31 to 40 of 40
User Details are only visible to members.
I got about 80% of the way through "Stranger in a Strange Land", then got bogged down in it. I think the concept was a great story, but as is always the case with sci-fi and me, I just got stuck in all the details.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(29001 posts)
Bobby should read a couple of Asimov books!

Username hidden
(17355 posts)
Well, I'm not a big sci-fi guy, really, so I'm afraid I can't really get into your ideas.

I will say, however, that it is my understanding that a principle complaint that readers of sci-fi have is that these ideas are often far too complicated in their conception, bogged down with too many details. Along with that, the more complicated the model is, the more likely the author is unable to maintain the consistency throughout the story, much to the irritation of the reader.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(29001 posts)
Va:

Thanks for the well wishes.

The numbers in how close we are technology wise can be debatable... But nothing can be progressed with until we have the cables and means of extending the spool.

On another note... (mostly I write this for myself as it helps me think.) practicality suggest the station should be simple. A cylinder style, no fancy docking rights which are held on passage ways with dead space between the ring and the station itself...

Coolness factor has fancy things like a promenade for those stuck due to delays or changing ships to buy and sell goods. Realistically we have this in our airports with the food courts.

The coolness factor is improved if their are windows and viewing ports to see the incoming ships and other rail cars. (depending upon size ratio of the objects... You might see nothing but the bleakness of space)

Design faults come into play should a ship (for what ever reason) damaged the ring... Those passage ways become arteries bleeding atmosphere and people.... Not to mention possibly collapsing the elevator all together as it is now unable to right itself... (depending upon how much damage the rings sustained...)

Bahh!!! I should have learned English better and gone to china to teach it! :-)

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(8416 posts)
I love you Mrs. Sav :)

Username hidden
(17355 posts)
While I do not discourage ambitious concepts of engineering in the distant future, we most certainly do not have 60-80% of the technology you describe developed.

As always, Robert, good luck in your writing. I've occasionally served as a science consultant for a friend of mine who's a writer. It can be difficult to walk the line of coming up with outrageous technologies of the future while trying to prevent yourself from describing physical impossibilities.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(29001 posts)
Sounds like a best seller, can't wait to pick it up at a yard sale for a nickle....I'd even pay a dime if it was autographed.

Mrs Sav

Anniston AL
Username hidden
(5501 posts)
No need for supernatual help. The sciences of nano tubing, magnetism, and physics has provided me with a solution.

An area of five miles would be laid out for the cables to run trains along. The cargo load/off loading would be underground. (to include passengers.)

By using such a wide area, I would in effect be able to have dozens if not hundreds of such transports into space... Each car transporting some 100,000 tons each. (current est: have us with 20ton trains or cars able to move 15-16 tons each. As I am writing a science fiction novel, the tech would be drastically improved)

Magnets would propell the car along the cable, while antigrave tech would reduce the effects of gravity on the occupants inside and the car itself.

We already have 80% of this technology as it stands. Minor improvements would commercialize it and by 600-800 years from now... Make it common place for most worlds to have at the least one such complex.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(8416 posts)
What happened to beam me up Scotty , maybe Bewitched can simply wiggle her nose at those headed for space, or Jeannie can nod her pony tail :) Maybe Alf or ET can help you finish your book ?

Mrs Sav

Anniston AL
Username hidden
(5501 posts)
Sometimes I hate math. As an acadimic subject to study, I love trying to learn it... Despit failing horribly at it.

As some might know, I am trying ti write a scifi novel... I am still editing it and thought I figured out the math to a space elevator... Using earth as a guide, I would need to build a structure some 22,340 miles high, just to reach stable orbit. (forget the engineering for a moment.) the earth is about 24,000 miles in circumference.

Unless I were to have a near perfect mater to energy to mater technology involved in my novel... Building a five mile wide space elevated has now just become impracticable... No matter the millennium. :-( CURSE YOU MATH!!!!!

So, has anyone else had their hopes dashed by mathamatical certainties?

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(8416 posts)
« Prev  1  2  3  4 
31 to 40 of 40
TOPIC: Doing the math
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.