Compassion : Swingers Discussion 220415
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumCompassion
TOPIC: Compassion
Created by: sa_interracialcpl
Original Starting post for this thread:
What happened to it, where did we go wrong and how do we get it back for future generations?

Thoughts?

Ideas?

How do you stay secure in your compassion for others?

GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 18   End
User Details are only visible to members.
What generally causes an overload for me is when I feel someone else's pain too intensely. Sometimes I even have difficulty determining where theirs ends and mine begins, in the same way that kd got swept up in those folks' troubles to the detriment of her own family. Sometimes it helps to get somebody else's perspective. But when the above happens to me, it is beyond the normal bounds of compassion. it burns me right out and causes me to withdraw instead.

One day I will figure it all out...

Brunnerville PA
Username hidden
(326 posts)
oh, SA. I agree with you. The relentless (sorry...lol) media overload --not just reporting, but video and audio exposure-- is actually very shocking to my system now. We are definitley becoming a society/culture that is being overrun by FEAR messages.

Brunnerville PA
Username hidden
(326 posts)
sorry --for some reason, my iPad quits and won't let me add or change ANYTHING on the post after a certain point...anyone else experience that?)

FUTURE credibility I might have a chance of having in the classroom there.  He was insistent that I should NOT have to handle it.  I GET that, but it wasn't working well at all and i'd be at square one each day i went in to cover.  He told me that I had a choice whether I wanted to sub there or not if i didn't agree with their policy.  

I've worked in other schools where this was the disciplinary m.o. and the administrators just became overwhelmed and couldn't even always get to the classroom to remove students.  I had a friend who never received help even though she called in a drunk student!   Needless to say, I just wanted out.  I felt wrung-out after just one day and I cancelled my future jobs at that school.   I felt pretty low and not just a bit guilty.  Compassion  for these kids?    not if my hands are tied...     I'm pretty low on reserves and cant afford to get hurt right now.    Figuratively of course, but potentially literally also.

Brunnerville PA
Username hidden
(326 posts)
Sw hit the nail on the head for me when she said the word "saturation.". As a teacher, also, I understand that sentiment.

I was subbing at a HS last week where the most of the students in my classes were belligerent and defiant. After being called a bitch and told to Fuck off in my 1st period class, I went to the admin to ask if I could call the parent directly (I asked first if he thought the parent would be receptive.) At first he was supportive and was going to let me, but another administrator came in and said No because of privacy issues and that it wasn't how they handled their discipline. Instead I was to call and have the student removed from the class. Well FIRST of all I would have had to call for at least three students by the time the kids would "get it" that 'this behaviour would not be tolerated.' But my more immediate concern was that i had two or three mor future days booked in as a sub for this teacher with these classes in the next couple of weeks. I felt that just passing the buck to admin would destroy any credibility

Brunnerville PA
Username hidden
(326 posts)
It seems we're becoming more and more desensitized by the constant connect with the media. I find that my mood can change based on how much news and its content over a period of time. My personal challenge is to unplug from outside sources and try to get back to being that guy that viewed the glass as half full. Its still a work in progress to show compassion to idiots, but that first glance idiot just might be having a shitty day, so instead of engaging them and making matters worse, I'm working on just listening or walking away..

San Antonio TX
Username hidden
(8056 posts)
"What happened to it, where did we go wrong and how do we get it back for future generations? "

We're a less compassionate society because it's become the Gov't job to take care of everything. That's my opinion, and I think we all share some blame.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(16977 posts)
"Politics and the legal system have never effected my ability to show compassion. Not ever. I don't think it has anything to do with this thread or the OP either."

I don't think you are understanding. It doesn't have anything to do with a choice you could make or not make. You physically would no longer be able to be compassionate as you would not have the resources to do so.

An example:

You have a job and you are happy and content and able to provide for yourself and your family, so you take your extra time and money and donate $1000 a month to charity and give 20 hours a week of your time to help others.

Then, due to political climate and a changing economy, you lose your job and are not able to find work. You will no longer have the $1000 a month to donate to charity and you almost certainly aren't going to continue to give 20 hours a week of your time to help others, since you are not even able to provide for yourself and family.

Your philosophical belief in compassion may not have changed, but you no longer have the physical capacity to translate that belief into reality.

It's simple psychology - Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and the expanded version.

Moron Buenos Aires Argentina
Username hidden
(467 posts)
When I see dumb people posting on SLS, I feel bad for them. I refrain from telling them they're dumb. That's how I express my compassion for them.

Idiots on the other hand, well, I'm still working on trying to be more compassionate. It's hard. Damn hard I tell you.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
"if you see the necked you cloths them"

When I see naked people, it's usually because I just took their clothes off. Clothing them isn't on my mind! And there sure are a lot of people on SLS that need some compassion then.

Username hidden
(467 posts)
I haven't seen anyone derail this thread. It is still on topic and Having has a completely valid point.

It becomes harder for people to have compassion for others when they are suffering. And regardless of which side you blame, America is currently suffering due to actions of our leaders.

When you have to stand in lines for hours due to stupid security policies, people's tempers are going to be shorter and they will be less likely to give a helping hand to their fellow human.

But like I said, when I am out in public, I still see plenty of compassion, such as people holding doors for others, letting people into a line of traffic, simple stuff such as that.

Username hidden
(467 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 18   End
TOPIC: Compassion