Best current Droid phone : Swingers Discussion 207417
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumBest current Droid phone
TOPIC: Best current Droid phone
Created by: NicAtNight
Original Starting post for this thread:
Ok techies, help me out. I am ready for a new phone and prefer the Android so what is the best on the market at the moment and why?

Also, what is the best plan in your opinion? AT&T? Verizon? Sprint?

My primary usage is texting, emails, navigation, phone calls (duh) and occassional internet surfing. Would like a decent camera and front facing for Skype as well.

iPhone advocates, until they offer a free Navigation ap as good as google, I am sticking with the Droid.

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 30   End
User Details are only visible to members.
I have experienced the GPS reboot with my DX as well. Never did look into it too much. But make no mistake, the D-Razr line is a different beast from top to bottom. Even more-so with ICS. Even on GB it was head and shoulders ahead (of the X). ICS on it's own is as well. The combination is leaps and bounds ahead. I have not had any reboot or recovery issues of any kind from any sort of activity. I run un-rooted (right now), and when I make voice calls, it's not unheard of for them to last up to 2 hour or so (using handset, speaker and BT, sometimes transitioning among all 3). And I've used GPS with it a good bit too. It's rock solid.

I suggest playing with the GS3. It's a monster. But, don't look at it next to a G-Note, look at it next to your DX. See if it's something you'll be comfortable with. (for physical aspects, from a visual perspective, bear in mind that Samsung cranks up the saturation on it's screens quite a bit) There is also the question of whether Touch-Wiz will be to your taste after being used to Motoblur. Again, playing with it is the only way to know. (it looks kinda neat, but also kinda weird in some respects too)

As for going to another carrier, I can't really speak about that.

Aston PA
Username hidden
(368 posts)
I do like a bigger screen which is why I ruled out the iPhone. I like the look and feel of the Galaxy. I have had issues with my DX rebooting while in nav mode and also taking up to three minutes to "recover" from a phone call before it will function again so I am thinking of trying something other than a Motorola.

Also, I am on Verizon but am considering buying an unlocked phone and getting something like the Virgin unlimited plan. Any thoughts on this route vs the contract?

Youngstown OH
Username hidden
(12024 posts)
Re-reading my post, I see I typed "5.5 inches" when I meant "5.5 feet". Is a height guess-ti-mate, was about shoulder height, and I'm 6 foot 2. Shame we can't edit these posts. :::: doh ::::

Aston PA
Username hidden
(368 posts)
I have an Infuse and a Galaxy 2. I like the Galaxy 2 but the infuse sucks. Mrs A will be trading in her Infuse. Neither of use are pleased with them.

The Galaxy 2 is on the Sprint network and I rarely have 4G coverage with it. The Infuses are ATT network and the 4G signal is regularly on.

I regret leaving Verizon last year.

White Hse Sta NJ
Username hidden
(4489 posts)
Nic, have you chosen yet?

Right now, there is no "best" Android handset. Each has it's own aspects. If large screen size is your driving factor, than the GS3 or G-Note are the way to go. If battery is the most important then, than it's the Razr Maxx (hands down). And so it goes.

For call quality, you really just can't beat Motorola. Voice and radio quality is always top notch, as is build quality. They are currently not top dog in terms of screen size or other hardware, but, not so far behind as to matter. This is why I chose the Razr over GS3 when my DX was up for renewal. I dropped the DX at the MAAM WWII weekend in June while I was taking one handed pics of the show on the ramp, it went sideways from a good 5.5" or so and slid. The battery popped out, but there was very little cosmetic damage and it worked perfectly. This was in line with stories from other DX users, it was just solid. So was my Nextel i1000+ (also Moto). Even the Razr V3 was resilient. So there's build quality. Similarly, I heard about radio issues with the G-Nex and call quality issues with the GS2. These, plus the fact that it is a business phone, led me to stay with Moto, even though I hate the locked bootloader crap.

As a pocket PC (mini-tablet) though, the GS3 is probably better (than the Droid Razr), little faster, some more RAM, and a larger screen. But I'm not sure if the 2100mAh batt is enough to compensate (vs what I get out of my Razr's 1780 - I regularly go 1.5~2 days on a charge).

It really is up to the individual if NFC, a barometer, .5" of screen (some of which is for on-screen buttons), and .3GHz is all that important. (+1GB RAM too, double D-Razr, but again, I don't see 1GB as a limitation)

Screen size king is Galaxy Note. Good device on it's own too.

As mentioned, battery king is Razr Maxx - 3300mAh. 19 hours of continuous video playback according to CNet testing.

Coming up before the end of the year is what amounts to a D-Razr re-vamp for $99 (called Razr M), and an upgraded Razr and Maxx (HD line). These will be on a par with the GS3 - bump in hardware and a 4.5" screen (.3" shy of GS3).

The HTC One X is getting lots of praise too. As I'm a VZW guy I haven't really looked into that one. I also personally don't like Sense (UI).

iP5 is supposed to launch next week. Even though I remain skeptical, I am interested in seeing what it'll have.

Aston PA
Username hidden
(368 posts)
Can we do a top to bottom comparison too?

Youngstown OH
Username hidden
(12024 posts)
I may have to put you over my knee ya little whippersnapper! Of course, I know you will like that.

;^D

Youngstown OH
Username hidden
(12024 posts)
Mosey on down here, Grandad, and we can do a side by side comparison.

Cincinnati OH
Username hidden
(4025 posts)
I have a turn by turn navigation with voice installed on my iPhone and it's better than the gps on my Benz.

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(16794 posts)
Grandpa Luddite, sounds like a rock band!

BTW, your iPhone has google maps but not turn by turn nav with voice. So there!

I really need to do a side by side comparison. I have not ruled out the iPhone, just like the droid platform.

Youngstown OH
Username hidden
(12024 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 30   End
TOPIC: Best current Droid phone