Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › 2nd DWI
TOPIC: 2nd_DWI
Created by: solitolp The original post for this thread was deleted.
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 13  Next »
1 to 10 of 127
User Details are only visible to members.
Poly, It is the exact same argument I have been saying all along.

Liverpool NY
Username hidden
(643 posts)
You know, I wish some of the schools would take that approach on Zero tolerance. We had a high school kid get suspended for having a kitchen knife in the back of his truck. He was a straight A athlete and got suspended for a week or got expelled. Can't remember exactly. Happened about 2 years ago.

Zo.

Fort Worth TX
Username hidden
(1223 posts)
Poly, I have never not understood your point. I think you have been misunderstanding mine. The breathalyzer in bars idea is for people who would be responsible enough to use it. I said that its presence would be mandatory, but patrons using it would be strictly voluntary. And you would reduce the number of DWI's and DUI's because there are responsible people who drink but make mistakes and get caught with a DWI or DUI because they honestly had no idea that their BAC was that high. These responsible people would use the breathalyzer and make responsible decisions like not driving. Obviously not everyone who drinks is responsible.

I thought my statements were all general meaning there would be obviuos exceptions.

Liverpool NY
Username hidden
(643 posts)
Poly, The point of the breathalyzer in bars idea is to help prevent DWI's and DUI's. Some people get a DWI or DUI because they honestly didn't think they were above the legal limit. These are the type of people that would actually use the system. There are responsible citizens that would take advantage of the breathalyzer if it were available. Obviously the alcoholic isn't weighting the pro's and con's and would never use the system if it were put in place.

Liverpool NY
Username hidden
(643 posts)
CuriousNew: "it's the "zero tolerance" APPROACH that often results in really stupid things. It takes away the possibility of authorities using their judgment to deal with a particular situation in a way that makes sense."

I agree with this. But the other side of it is the fact that the opportunity for individual judgement is also the opportunity for poor judgement or worse - favoritism, bribery or some other form of injustice.

It's a conundrum for which I don't see a ready answer.

Baltimore MD
Username hidden
(3271 posts)
It was an example, not a specific position.

Liverpool NY
Username hidden
(643 posts)
Also, those who actually do consider the punishment before acting are probably the ones who are actively trying no to get caught. Whereas the people who do not consider the punishment either just do not care if they get caught or not, or do not think what they are doing is wrong.

Liverpool NY
Username hidden
(643 posts)
True, to some degree. But for the most point, once you hit years in prison as the punishment it really doesn't matter how many it is. Do you really think someone says it is worth 20 years in prison to kill their spouse, but not worth a life sentence? There might be a very small few that do. But for the majority people I don't think it would make any difference at all. And I don't think changing a 5 yr prison sentence to 10 would discourage people from commiting a crime either.

Liverpool NY
Username hidden
(643 posts)
I have to agree as well. I do not support the zero tolerance in most cases either, mainly for the same reason why I don't support most ideas for stiffer punishments. Do people really think that offenders actually weight the pro's and con's before offending. Like a student is going to say to himself "Boy I would really like to sexually harass that girl. If I do it I can feel her up for a moment and she is really hot. On the other hand I could get suspended. Yeah, its worth it. Oh...wait...there is now a zero tolerance policy on this. I forgot. Now I can be expelled. Hmmmm, no...no I better not."

Liverpool NY
Username hidden
(643 posts)
" it's the "zero tolerance" APPROACH that often results in really stupid things. It takes away the possibility of authorities using their judgment to deal with a particular situation in a way that makes sense."

Agreed 100% America is a great place

Mike

Bedford PA
Username hidden
(5527 posts)
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 13  Next »
1 to 10 of 127
TOPIC: 2nd DWI
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.