any electricians here : Swingers Discussion 1635681011
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsMen Talkany electricians here
TOPIC: any electricians here
GoTo Page: 1 2
Start   11 to 18 of 18 
User Details are only visible to members.
Cool Daring, you did a great job at mounting! :)

Augusta NJ

Username hidden
(16055 posts)
The motors on ceiling fans are strong but not immortal. In the lab, we use centrifuges that spin a thousand (and in some cases 100,000 but lets not go there) times faster than a ceiling fan. Replacing the (conductive) brushes due to wear is an every few month process. Ceiling fans are really not designed for such replacement.

You got 10 years out the last one, which means you did a great job mounting and balancing it at the outset.

Atlanta GA

Username hidden
(436 posts)
thought I would give you guys an update.

I bought a new fan and when I removed the old one I discovered a large amount of black dust/shavings that came from the motor, spinning it by hand once I had it down I could feel it grinding inside as I held it by the shaft and slightly hear a squeak .

Niagara Falls NY

Username hidden
(1021 posts)
OH and after all these years and how much it is used pretty much 24/7 summer and winter the bearings in the fan are probably shot causing it to shake a bit and vibrate.

Niagara Falls NY

Username hidden
(1021 posts)
Thank you for the replies.

yes lately is has been vibrating and come to think of it that is about the time the bulbs began blowing out.

looks like it is time for a new fan after 16 years. Thanks again

Niagara Falls NY

Username hidden
(1021 posts)
Insat there are just too many variables there to make a determination. I was wondering about the vibration myself. We all know how easy a hot bulb breaks the filament if it is jarred.

The only other thought might be surges, caused by loose connections, but this would be evident when the fan and light was turned on by obvious fluctuations in the light.

Sanford NC

Username hidden
(19231 posts)
we had a similar problem in our old house, and found out that it wasn't grounded. Not sure if this helps, but good luck. It wasn't a fan, but a lighting fixture that just kept blowing bulbs frequently.

San Antonio TX

Username hidden
(7127 posts)
I have an electrical question if anyone may know how to solve.

the ceiling fan in our bedroom keeps blowing bulbs constantly. I am using 40 watt bulbs of which it is rated for and have even tried 20 watt bulbs with the same results yet the same brand bulbs will last a year in other places around the house and within a week 2 of the bulbs will blow then the 3rd but the last bulb will work for weeks until I replace the blown bulbs then it starts all over again and it dont blow bulbs in any pattern it is totally random.

the fan is about 10 years old and I installed it. I know I wired it properly as I am an accomplished do it your selfer and have wired up many things. I even checked the wiring and it seems fine. never had a problem with other fans, outlets, switches and such I have installed.

also it is on a dimmer switch if that matters. come to think of it that fan is the only thing in the house on a dimmer switch. HMM

Niagara Falls NY

Username hidden
(1021 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
Start   11 to 18 of 18 
TOPIC: any electricians here