This old house : Swingers Discussion 203203101
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsMen TalkThis old house
TOPIC: This old house
Created by: fingerfuxs
Original Starting post for this thread:
Insulation, We bought a home built in 1967 that was gutted,added on to and remodeled. But I think they skipped on the insulation. There is next to no attic room due to the remodel also. My electric bill is thru the roof when I need to use the A/C 24/7 and the A/C unit is not the problem. I had that checked.

My question is does anyone have any experience having purchased insulation. Right now I'm looking at : A. foam vs B. traditional blow in kind

The pest control company keeps pushing treated insulation but there is no way I'm using that.

I like what I'm reading about the foam kind as more modern and long term benefits. But only have online reviews to use as feed back.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance with a wifey flash.

GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 12   End
User Details are only visible to members.
**bump**

It's flooding here in Atlanta and just going to get worst as the next 3 days go by. This old house is sitting pretty and our neighborhood is doing good not have drainage issues like some other newer hoods.

The building boom fucked a lot of folks buying into newer construction plots.

I'm thinking we are going to still try to make it downtown for the fireworks or at least just to be down there being all touristy. We <3 Atlanta #riseup

Buford GA
Username hidden
(3884 posts)
It's the heating system, it is aThermo Friction Heater I hate it. Takes 1 hour to heat 1.5 degrees. I thought I was going to be able to have the spa hard wired to 220 and have a faster heat up time when we wanted to use it. The spa we had in Florida was like that. I assumed they all where capable of it. My bad for buying it off the internet impluse last minute without reseaching it.

I really like the size and shape of this smaller one and am wondering if I can just have the heater unit replaced with a differant kind.

A. what model heater would work best and heat fastess. 250 gallons B. what would be a fair price to judge the quotes by heater unit and labor?

Buford GA
Username hidden
(3884 posts)
*** new topic **** Bought a spa for christmas, hate it. Need some spa advice, any spa techies in the threads?

Buford GA
Username hidden
(3884 posts)
ff, I'm glad that suggestion helped you. I'll bet you will see a significant measurable difference on your power bill once you insulate. slo

San Luis Obispo CA
Username hidden
(1209 posts)
FF- blown in is the way to go, you can even get Fiberglass now that is blown in. I am not to certain what is best for your southern climate, with regards to the tyoes of infestation you have to deal with.

If I had my druthers I would use the Foam but it is costly and there are certain limitations to how and where it can be used.

We built a new home last year, and we went with a foundation that used foam core blocks by " Integra Spec" 2" on interior and exterior walls, filled with 10" of concrete. We end up with a R48, and this past winter our basment maintained a constand 60 degree temp with the only heat source being the feed and return heat lines from the floor above.

Our garage has the same walls, and with super insulated cielings ( R 50) I am actually using a 8k btu window a/c unit to cool it.

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9684 posts)
I had Ga. power here today to do a energy audit before I have insulation put in. I asked if they could put in the written report that blow dryers eat twice as much enery as leaving the TV on or anything related to make the 3.5 felines I live with use less hair blower time. I told them I'd punch and validate their man card twice if they could make it happen.

yeppers, I'm in bad need of updating the insulation. I think blown in is going to be the winner. They explained that spray foam kind well , I don't think it works best for my house. The energy audit was free.They even put insulated energy blank on my water heater for free..... thxs for the suggestion Slo. This old house. .

Buford GA
Username hidden
(3884 posts)
~smirkle~ that's a mouth full. I do have the Ga. power people coming out to do the energy what ya maw doogle thing next week. I don't think there is enough room up there to do the foam or rolls. Crossing my fingers they can give me some positive suggestions to lower my electric bill it's insane during the summer.

Buford GA
Username hidden
(3884 posts)
"you need 12 to 18 inches of blown in the attic"

I don't mind attics but I'm leery of blowing 18 inches.

Cincinnati OH
Username hidden
(3963 posts)
you need 12 to 18 inches of blown in the attic for new construction if you have the space foam will work but the cost is about 4 times what blown is

Bremen GA
Username hidden
(9 posts)
I did some construction work for a few years in my youth, often around additions and remodels. The boss always used rolls. It included a vapor barrier (as part of the role, or a separate component, which you just dont get with blown in.

Foam wont have the issues of being shifted over time, or if moisture gets into it, it wont settle as much. Closed cell foam wont capture and hold the water - If I were doing it, that would be the way I would lean.

My 'new' house (13 years) has blown in, and I feel like it has outlived it's usefulness already! Just not ready to go into that on this new house.... yet.

Reisterstown MD
Username hidden
(189 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 12   End
TOPIC: This old house