Scotch Drinkers Unite : Swingers Discussion 44741
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsMen TalkScotch Drinkers Unite
TOPIC: Scotch Drinkers Unite
Created by: ZigNYur
Original Starting post for this thread:
I don't expect this thread to get very large, but since I don't drink beer I can't partake in the BEER thread (awwww).

I know there HAS to be some avid scotch drinkers out there. Now as my gf (yur) will attest, I'm not a heavy drinker - but when it comes to scotch I am pretty particular what I like.

Personally, I like the single-malts, no blended stuff for me. It should be at least 12 years old. I haven't had an opportunity to try anything older than 18 years (yet) and I am promising myself that for my 50th birthday (11 yrs from now) I WILL be drinking a 50 year-old scotch (trust me you dont wanna know the price).

My latest foray into some nice scotch has been the Glen Moranganie Sherry Wood finish (12 yr). Me and my best bud enjoyed that bottled and both of us fully agreed that it was perhaps the best scotch we ever had.

So for all the avid scotch drinkers -- heres a toast. |_|

Zig

GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 19   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Mrs. Fun and I stopped by our favorite neighborhood pub late last night. Like Cheers, everyone knows our names. The bartender gave us a special treat by pouring a shot of 25 year old Macallan that was the owners private stock. He said it costs over $300 a bottle wholesale and was rated 100 out of 100 by the Beverage Institute of Chicago. It was most excellent. The best part it was free! :)

Henderson NV
Username hidden
(405 posts)
SandJ - thats true, I try to make it a point to offer a good highland dram as the 'lower' elevation malts have more of 'that aquired taste' that so many first timers dislike.

I recall the Speyside and Islay drams for the peaty aftertaste - but the lowland drams certainly are not a good first choice for newbies. Im certainly not one for the peat effect in scotch, I know its a needed part of the distillation process - but too much is not a good thing.

Once I get past the 'distillation' flavors that are in good scotches, I do try to taste the 'finishing or polishing' of that scotch. For instance, Glen Moranganie (I think) has a great 12yo sherry-wood finished dram (highly recommened) and that is MUCH smoother than the 13yo fino-wood finish and the difference in taste is as different s night and day - even for neophytes - the presentation and overall taste is obvious.

For the more experienced drinkers of "uisage beatha" I'd love to be able to just get a glimpse of the taste of the middle cut out of a good bottle. I know each distiller makes their own choice as to WHEN to make that middle cut (aka 2nd distill) - and THATS the taste I want to get a hint of, since some say that taste is just a important as the finish. While it is harder to detect (for me), I wonder if it is as good as getting that great finish effect? I figure its probably easier to tell when I do several of the same distillery drams - as each is specific to their process. So it would seem it would be easier to do this after knowing that drams overtones and undertones inside and out. (aka drink a lot of scotch!) Given everything else as equal - that middle cut difference is something I'd love to experience.

Zig - who went thru Dalmore and end up with a McClelland highland this weekend

Frederick MD
Username hidden
(166 posts)
Last nite we went to a birthday gathering for some frinds of ours and naturally I stopped and got a bottle of the 'cheap stuff' - Dalmore 12yo. (not implying Dalmore is cheap - it just happened to be the least expensive of my choices - Glen Livet, Glenfiddich amoung those)

Its a good single malt (highland) and I like it pretty good for a nice all around taste. What blew me away was when a lady friend there asked to try it - she went overboard on complimenting it - as she was under the impression scotch was 'peaty' and was an aquired taste. She said it was so smooth and easy.

So we had a convert last nite LOL, disspelling myths surounding scotch. Needless to say - she was wanting more as the nite went on -- and I dont mind sharing (bfg).

So just a note to offering scotch to first timers - please make sure you offer a good brand - first impressions are what exactly that - if its a bad one, then it could easily set one against becoming an avid scotch drinker.

Zig - affirming scotch does not lead to hangovers

Frederick MD
Username hidden
(166 posts)
SandJinVT, No need to run off since I am learning from your posts! I am enjoying your experience and well written posts!

Brownwood TX
Username hidden
(11437 posts)
The previous post should have read Johnny Walker Blue, not Silver.

Buffalo NY
Username hidden
(73 posts)
If any of you scotch drinkers are planning a trip to the resort island of St. Martin, stop by one of the supermarkets (yes supermarkets) in Phillipsburg on the Dutch side. You cannot imagine the low prices on single malt, well aged scotch that you'll find. Plus each US tourist can bring home a gallon ( 4 quarts) without paying any extra duty. On our last visit, there was a large display of Johnny Walker Green Label and I believe a Johnny Walker Silver, both for around $50.00

Buffalo NY
Username hidden
(73 posts)
Susan -

Aren't you just a wealth of knowledge! That just goves me more reason to find that single excellent 50yo dram. I dont think I want to drop 5k for a drink, but 1-2k wouldnt be bad. (hehe one is only 50 once right?!?)

While we're on the subject - is there any particular must see stop if one were to visit Scotland? (in regards to scotch)

Zig

Frederick MD
Username hidden
(166 posts)
Although you brought up a good point, It is amazing how much scotch a bladder can hold though VA.

Brownwood TX
Username hidden
(11437 posts)
Sorry, Terry, I had just BEEN good, and my eyes were crossed and I was full of endorphins!

South Riding VA
Username hidden
(8172 posts)
This is not a surprise Terry, When you drink scotch you will have to urinate!

Brownwood TX
Username hidden
(11437 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 19   End
TOPIC: Scotch Drinkers Unite