Mountain Bikin' : Swingers Discussion 46026
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsMen TalkMountain Bikin'
TOPIC: Mountain Bikin'
Created by: ZigNYur
Original Starting post for this thread:
Any mountain bikers in this place? Any newbies to the sport (like me)? Zig - Specialized Hardrock (no thats NOT a pun - its my bike LOL)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 13   End
User Details are only visible to members.
woo hoo -- just got sized for my new bike!!

Cannondale Rush 300. Yeah I'll keep my Specialized Hardrock for around the house bikin' -- but I'm dying to get the Rush under my ass.

Any words of wisdom? Comments from other Rush riders?

Zig - oh THAT was a mountain - my bad ;-) roflmao

Frederick MD

Username hidden
(166 posts)
We are about 1 - 11/2 hours south of French Creek. Usual haunt is Fairhill MD, or Middle Run DE.

Oxford PA

Username hidden
(72 posts)
Have already gone over the old bike. Patched all my tires (tubeless). Just waiting to get back north next month to start riding for real. We did actually ride over the intercoastal bridge yesterday. It's the closest thing to a climb in SE Florida LOL. We usually head up to Jim Thorpe in the Poconos to camp and ride. Although friends have told us there is some good riding in WV. Last time we went down the New River, I was kicking myself for not bringing a bike.

Oxford PA

Username hidden
(72 posts)
Alrighty then - racin season is almost here!! Time to get back out and lose those winter pounds, add a few scars, and live life with wind blowin in your hair.

If anyone is within decent drivin distance of WV, you may manna check out www*wvmba*com - there is probably a race near you.

Also, even if you're not the racing type but more of recreational sort, feel free to post your experiences.

I've done some updates to my stock bike over the winter, including a deore rear derailuer and new cranks are comin this week. Anyone care to discuss Shimano vs. SRAM components?

And just as a fyi - I am almost complete with cutting in a new trail behind our place here. With 2 nasty vert drops (10 and 15' respectively) - it may be a bit too challenging for me -- but hey the worst that can happen is I'll end up in the briers LOL.

Zig - ride nekkid it just feels better

Frederick MD

Username hidden
(166 posts)
Body armour -- who is wearing what?

Helmet - of course padded gloves - open contemplating forearm shields

I also ride in sandals - I hate shoes to start with - and with almost 1k of mtb rides under me with no toe injuries -- i prefer them - thinking of going clip sandals this year LOL.

Zig -- yep 3 races planned

Frederick MD

Username hidden
(166 posts)
dan -

Can't help with the Philly area, if you are interested take a look at wwwdot wvmba dot com

WV has some of the best MTB places in the nation. If that wasn't enough - the Hatfields-McCoy Trail System has over 500 miles of legal MTB and ATV trails for use. Talk about a day ride!

Also the New River Gorge has some spectacular trails for all experience levels.

I'll prob in 3 races this year as a Vetern Beginner (over 40, less than 5 races). So hopefully I wont break my arm again and can actually enjoy the sport as it was intended - extreme LOL.

Zig - MTB season is just about here!

Frederick MD

Username hidden
(166 posts)
Well - I'm not sure where to begin BUT I do want to drive one key point home:

WEAR A HELMET! WEAR A HELMET! WEAR A HELMET!

Heres the story: On Friday we went to preview the 9 mile beginner course at ACE (aceraft dot com) for a point-series race on Sunday. I went with yur's son who is 16. The excellent course whipped our ass - but it was great and we both decided to do the race on sunday.

So Saturday, to shake off some soreness from the previous day's run we went to our little 5 mile practice course. We had just completed 3 miles and took a small break b4 we started the 2500 foot downhill that led to the remaining 2 mile trail. we were going just a bit slower than normal, maybe around 15-17 mph with her son about 100 feet behind me. About 1000 feet into the downhill, i took a turn outside of my normal 'line' and the bike finds a 1" drop off and jack-knifes! Needless to say the resultant catapult action sends me flying into the air - but without wings I soon find that gravity is a very real force and i hit hard onto the loose gravel and red-dog slate.

I'll spare you the nasty details, but once i realized my helment was maintaining full contact with the trail, i used it to drive into the ground to slow me down.

In the end, aside from massive scrapes and bruises, my left arm was broken, probably from the rock it hit before it proceeded to slide on the trail.

The helmet saved my head - pure and simple. Not only did it take a lot of the initial impact, but using it as a bulldozer also prevented more serious injuries to the rest me while sliding down some VERY rough terrain.

I cant emphasis this enough - wear your helmet. Had i not been wearing one, I do believe my injuries would have been critical.

As for the race the next day, we both went, him to race and me to watch. He placed 3rd - not bad for his first race!

Zig - who is now a firm believer in safety equipment (and is contemplating body armour)

Frederick MD

Username hidden
(166 posts)
bleyed - Go talk to your local bike shop - do NOT go to wal-mart for a bike. Your local bike shop will make sure your new bike is fitted to your specific needs as far as sizing and comfort go. Sure bike from your local shop will be a bit more than your typical walmart fare - but you won't be trying to overcome the equiment and you'll enjoy the experience better (instead of fighting a heavy bike thats prone to break often).

Having recently re-entered the biking world -- I can say that no matter your seat selection - do expect your hinney to sore for the first few trips out. Once your butt has 'adjusted' to the ride its a breeze.

Zig -pedal on

Frederick MD

Username hidden
(166 posts)
Pen -- Thats ok - you dont have to scratch your groin area (I'll volunteer to do it for you ;-))

Great advice btw - I'll look into clickies for the bike (i thought they were just for road use).

Right now -- my goal is two-fold : excercise and hopefully it will lead to me quit smoking. I got the entry level Specialize bike just to get into it - see if I can reclaim my youth to some extent (semi-pro skateboarder and am. BMX back in the day).

My daily routine is anywhere from 6 to 12 miles (typical is 10) - half of that is off-road and half of the off-road is ballast stone (railroad beds) - which is brutal on the bike and my body! I strive for a 60-90 cycle cadence when i can thru-out the entire ride. BUt I will say one thing - the ballast stone are great for balance even at slow speeds and norm cadence its tricky at best.

I'm not inclined to even think of competing (even locally) yet -- I still have a LONG ways to go - but I'm definitely hooked and will be pressing my limits with each trip out.

I do have a question tho - what does technical mean in respect to climbs and descents - Ive heard that term a lot but havent really found a good read on it yet.

Zig -- did 11.65 miles for today (and died)

Frederick MD

Username hidden
(166 posts)
Pen - For that particular hill - I've tried a number of techniques - and its just one of those hills thats unclimbable (for me anyway).

But now you have me curious -- why would a mtn biker wear clips (or use a cage on the pedals)? Seems that would make for a dangerous combination as one wouldnt be able to get the foot off pedal quick enough for balance control were it so needed.

On another note - since I'm becoming more secure pushing my limits each day - the thought occurred to me the other day -- the first crash and burn is gonna hurt big time (its been 20+ yrs since my last face plant) - any thoughts on body armour? Right now my typical speed downhill is around 15-20 mph and some of the terrain gets pretty rugged (or just tricky in places <loose sand, rocks, ruts etc>).

Ysterday's run was wicked. It had just rained, and a light rain was falling so everything was mud. I crossed a small trickle of a creek on my way out only to come back to re-cross the same trickle that is now a raging 10 foot wide 3 foot deep torrent. Long story short - i crossed pedaling the bike thru it - not recommened for anyone (i knew this particular spot extremely well!) But all in all - the 4 mile off road section whupped my ass yesterday - mud is so nasty to bike in - but what a frickin workout LOL.

Zig -- sore but gonna do 10 miles today anyway

Frederick MD

Username hidden
(166 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 13   End
TOPIC: Mountain Bikin'