How did Yahoo become the standard : Swingers Discussion 201044
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsGetting StartedHow did Yahoo become the standard
TOPIC: How did Yahoo become the standard
Created by: Hotsummernight
Original Starting post for this thread:
Seems everyone and their sister uses or even requires yahoo messenger as part of their communication. K and I are on enough services and prefer not to add another. Not to mention, 90% of what we do on this site is via phone. If we could upload pics via iPhone, we'd never touch the laptop - well except for the annoying mobile glitches. But I digress.

What's the big attraction with Yahoo?

GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 15   End
User Details are only visible to members.
You said it right. It is completely a generational thing and also a general web knowledge thing. I'm a web designer by trade. You would be amazed at the amount of people who still use Netscape for a browser. Internet explorer is the most used and it is by far the worst browser as far as web building (and even web browsing) goes.

I can build a site that works perfect in chrome, firefox, safari, etc, then I have to make specific files to fix how it is viewed for every version of IE. They use IE because it "comes with their Dell". I am assuming yahoo is included on lots of pc's.

Grand Blanc MI
Username hidden
(146 posts)
Gungho is a great alternative.

Whitehouse Station NJ
Username hidden
(4489 posts)
We actually prefer Skype. But that's never been offered till you mentioned it. Guess its a generational/when you entered the LS/ when you got online thing.

We stopped using yahoo years ago.

Good answers all. Thanks.

Roswell GA
Username hidden
(105 posts)
Facebook is too much into personal life. Yahoo sucks in my opinion. It's slow, doesn't work right half the time, and opens a second window all the time.

I wish more people used Skype.

Grand Blanc MI
Username hidden
(146 posts)
"have the ability" or "know how". Symantics.

It still doesn't mean someone could not put pics on a profile with faces hidden. All the pics on the opening page of our profile show people what kind of shape we are in. There is no reason anyone else cannot do the same if they are being honest.

From our experience, the "someome will steal our pics" routine is almost always an attempt to hide their looks for some reason, and its never good. And yes, as with everything, we know there are exceptions. Sorry. No pics, no meet.

Cape Canaveral FL
Username hidden
(4856 posts)
Yahoo is the standard because it was firstest with the mostest. You had chat programs on the old non-internet services (Compuserve, Prodigy, AOL), but they didn't offer voice or video.

As an aside, chat rooms with private messages and whispers -- I feel as if I'm on Compuserve in 1990 again!

There were services before YIM that offered voice and eventually video, but they were specialized (adult chat mostly) and never really caught on. Yahoo was first with high quality voice and video, and they had a general audience.

The competition now is between Yahoo and Skype.

If you say you have no problems with chat here, what you mean is that you have no problem with text chat. Yahoo and Skype are so far beyond SLS's voice and video chat that they're not even in the same universe.

Kitty Hawk NC
Username hidden
(257 posts)
Shesmooth wrote:

"The percentage of pc users who possess the ability to hack this or any other site for the purpose of stealing pics is relatively small. "

What you mean is "know how to get pics." Pretty much 100% of PC users have the ability get any pic on this site if they know how. It's not hacking and requires no special computer skills or tools.

So let's say 10% of PC users know how. Or they know how to find out. That would give us something on the order of 25 million Americans alone, not to mention the population of the rest of the world.

If this is a margin of safety that you're comfortable with, fine.

Kitty Hawk NC
Username hidden
(257 posts)
I'm not sure if its a standard, but it is widely used. If one uses YIM, Googletalk, Facebook, and Windows Live, etc. should about cover most chat medium requirements. It's usually best to be flexible and have more than just one or two communication tools.

Emeryville CA
Username hidden
(12206 posts)
I talk on my yahoo but only with those who I have known for years and years, back when the chat here was really not worth it. I dont have any problems with the chat here.

Spring TX
Username hidden
(2187 posts)
We do not use Yahoo, really.

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16305 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 15   End
TOPIC: How did Yahoo become the standard