running shoes : Swingers Discussion 130167
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsFitnessrunning shoes
TOPIC: running shoes
Created by: ring2s
Original Starting post for this thread:
Anyone have advise on selecting a good running shoe? I am running about 15 miles a week sometimes less. Oh, not to impressed with new balance.

GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 21   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Hi Mark! I have carried a small .38 in the past - we do have a lot of coyote packs and bears in this area. In fact, on Saturday evening, we had a bear up a tree in town! I should probably carry the pepper spray - several others have asked me about that also - some of the areas are very remote and without cell service. Guess I should start thinking about that - especially when I start training on the really remote side of the valley across the Creek! Thanks for the reminder!

Seneca PA
Username hidden
(142 posts)
Do you carry any weapons with you when you run? A small knife and a canister of oc (pepper spray) are a good idea to have with you, if you run off road and your by yourself . Cougar and bear encounters are increasing as both animals’ populations are increasing. Currently I run/bike up to a city park on city roads. In the last five years or so I have emptied three canisters of oc. Canines have aggressively chased me on several occasions. Three of the canine encounters were with bull terriers. A blast of oc right on their snout turns the very scary encounter into a funny one. The oc hurts them bad as their noses are very sensitive to the pepper.

Tulare CA
Username hidden
(1880 posts)
Good Morning! I am training for a 31-mile (50K) ultra trail run! What a blast! I have a long ways to go, but what a different type of running - the miles just fly by! Of course, trails are so incredibly scenic, and usually, rugged, so my brain stays totally engaged. I haven't tried the trail running shoes yet, but I was told that alternating between running & trail shoes is a good thing. So, I figure I'll give it a try. We have nearly 150 runners lined up for the first ever Oil Creek Trail Run here in PA - more signing up every day!

Seneca PA
Username hidden
(142 posts)
Wish I was on of those natural runners. I just started trail running so would not the difference b/t using a trail running shoe v. a standard running shoe. But several season runners have said they did not like the trail running shoe- sole to stiff. It might just be a preference.

I am thinking of entering next year a 31-mile ultra relay trail running race. Wow that was a mouth full.lol

Lansing MI
Username hidden
(1624 posts)
I'm going to post twice because I wanted to address the diet comments you posted. I am an advocate of a natural diet - lots of unprocessed, raw fruits, vegetables, and, I am not a vegetarian - I eat local, farm-raised meats, my neighbor provides me with the freshest eggs imaginable, I have raw milk delivered once a week, and I raise a lot of my own fruits and vegetables. After living in the D.C. area for the better part of 20 years I moved back to a rural community and my health and fitness levels have completely rejuvenated as I got myself back outdoors and back to eating as naturally as possible. I hadn't run more than 2-3 miles on trails - never on roadways anymore - in over 15 years. The first 5-mile training run out the door and up over the hills and down through the steep valleys amazed me with my own physical resilience after eating those foods for more than 5 years now. Great recovery time and extending the distances all the time now!

Seneca PA
Username hidden
(142 posts)
Great information on the running shoes! I have worn out a number of pretty great running shoes over my years of running. I'm in terrific shape, and tackling the trails with all the rocks and roots is so fantastic - I love the challenge and the rush of it! Just wasn't sure about anyone's experience with actual trail running shoes or if it made any difference if they were considered "trail" running shoes vs. regular running shoes. This will be my first ultra trail run (hopefully the first of "many"??)

I enjoyed your comments on us being born to run! Sure is a rush! Thanks for your comments - most appreciated!

Seneca PA
Username hidden
(142 posts)
The human is born to run. Everyone is a natural runner. The best way to kill the human is let it be idle. The price you pay for a high priced shoe is "fashion". The US Army did a study of 100 different running shoes vs. running in a pair of standard combat boots. The combat boots came in at # 50, or right smack in the middle of running shoes for protection against injury from running. The price of a running shoe had very little as to where a shoe placed for protecting against running injuries. You have to find a shoe that works for you. The salesman in the mall, shoe store is just that. A salesman. Most likely a kid with his first job and has no real knowledge of running. You have to empower yourself with knowledge about running. Get a couple of copies of Runners Magazine and do a search for runners web sites and boards. I can assure you, you will find hundreds of women who run and have small feet. Running should not hurt, ever. If you feel pain something is wrong and you need to stop and find out what the problem is. Pain is your body telling you something is breaking down. Discomfort like your lungs burning as you increase speed is ok. The burning in your leg muscles as you attack a steep hill is ok too. How is your current diet and has it been a good diet in the past. Pain in the bones if you are a new runner and mid aged maybe a sign of osteoporoses from long term lack of calcium in your diet. I have done a couple of tours in basic training for the Army and it is a sad fact that the USA population chooses bad diet habits. Many of the young kids coming into the Army suffer skeleton break down due to poor bone density. Especially the females. Cramping in the muscles maybe a sign of severe dehydration. Hydrate or die. You may also have to start over if you’re a new runner. You may have to build up some muscle with weight training to build enough leg strength. Start with short and slow runs, and rest a day between runs. Then build up your distance and frequency as your body builds up. Stretch. Always stretch before and after a run. Have the hubby video you as you run. Study your running form. Insure you have a good stride. There are also shoe inserts you can put in your shoes. I wear heel cups. I took a nasty fall and suffered a heel contusion. Never run in a pair of worn out shoes. Once the out sole is worn through to the middle sole get a new pair. Nike in a joint venture with Apple Computer is introducing a new shoe that looks really good. Wait for the price "fashion" to come down. The shoe has a chip in it that will record your basic running performance on an i-pod. The test results are in and all test subjects gained in performance.

Tulare CA
Username hidden
(1880 posts)
fast.. Thanks!!!

Lansing MI
Username hidden
(1624 posts)
I have been looking at the Saloman trail running shoes for my 50K trail run - anyone ever use this brand? I always wore NB, but I'm looking for something different. I have tiny feet (size 4.5 to 5) and sometimes have a hard time with shoes. This is a brand-new event this year and looks to be a great East Coast Trail Run - Oil Creek Trail Runs - 50K, 50/100 milers - pretty rugged terrain through some gorgeous territory (also happens to be in my literal "back yard"!)

Seneca PA
Username hidden
(142 posts)
Those long trail runs are a blast. I did the JFK 50 miler several years ago with a bunch of guys from Ft Drum. Our prep was getting tanked on Guinness the night prior and passing out on the high school lawn in our sleeping bags. Quite a sight for the early birds the next morning I'm sure. It was a great day and I'm hoping to do another again soon.

Vine Grove KY
Username hidden
(143 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 21   End
TOPIC: running shoes