Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Fitness interval training
TOPIC: interval training
Created by: ExiledFun
Original Starting post for this thread:
Hi all - curious what people's experience have been with interval training. I workout several hours a day in dual daily work outs and just read up on this type of training. I'm finding it hard to believe that 15-20 minutes of intense interval training can replace 1+ hours of standard target heart rate zone aerobic exercise but would love to have it be true. Thanks.

GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 8 of 8 
User Details are only visible to members.
Remember that everyone is different and one has to experiment and find out what works better for you. No single type of exercise can be good for all of us.

I exercise everyday because I like to feel fit and it makes me enjoy sex more too. I'm sporty and do biking, scuba, skiing, hiking, etc., etc., so being fit is a must for me, not an option.

Over the years I've found that 'interval training' works well for me because frequently with work and social life plus sex, dating, etc., I don't have time for long workouts. (The only long workout I do enjoy is all night sex). The type of interval training I do is skipping rope. I always bring my rope when I travel and find a place to use it.

I also have a omrom monitor so that I know when I reach my max and for how long. The great thing about this is that you don't need machines and it's totally transportable no matter how light you travel.

Michelle

Sekiu WA
Username hidden
(175 posts)
yeah I've been doing it 3-4x/week for the past couple weeks and have pulled off another % bodyfat - some of the best workouts I've done. Plus it's fun and not mind-numbingly boring like the old school cardio stuff. Thanks!

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(30 posts)
Well, it's working for me, and freeing up over 15 hours per week I was spending on low-moderate aerobic exercise. I'm doing 20 min HIIT 3x/week after my weight training in the AM. I'm already low teens bodyfat, eat well, and only looking for something to get another point or two off without going completely insane with mindless hours of cardio.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(30 posts)
Actually it's both that simple and not.

If your body gets used to performing a certain activity, it becomes efficient at doing it and your calorie burn from it will decrease somewhat. That's for both weight training and cardio. Interval training prevents that mechanism from kicking in since you're not performing the same activity over a protracted period, so you get higher calorie burn. All of the major fitness trainer certifications are consistent in recognizing this.

Username hidden
(255 posts)
The reason interval training has shown to provide greater benefit is that you prevent your body from falling into "muscle memory"-type activity. Just like you start to plateau over time if you keep doing the same types of exercises (without increasing reps/weight), you also will see diminishing benefits over time from steady-pace cardio (without increasing duration for endurance training as mentioned elsewhere in this thread).

Reports vary as to HOW much better interval training is over exercise-zone steady cardio, but there's a pretty solid consensus that you get more bang for your buck time-wise with interval training.

Username hidden
(255 posts)
In my experience it is NOT the same. You can not get the same quality aerobic fitness from short work outs. I think it is all a question of what your goals are. If you just want to burn some fat, get ripped, and look good, the High intensity intervals work. If you are preparing to compete in any longer events then you have to put in the time to properly train your whole aerobic system. That being said, the research suggests that interval training works for everybody if added to the overall training mix.

Mr.H

Tampa FL
Username hidden
(4 posts)
yep, that's it exactly. I just find it hard to believe that can replicate the same cardio as the standard moderately intense, longer time period aerobic sessions. If so, I'll be a happy camper. I've tried it the past couple days and it's fun but I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(30 posts)
Hi all - curious what people's experience have been with interval training. I workout several hours a day in dual daily work outs and just read up on this type of training. I'm finding it hard to believe that 15-20 minutes of intense interval training can replace 1+ hours of standard target heart rate zone aerobic exercise but would love to have it be true. Thanks.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(30 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 8 of 8 
TOPIC: interval training