after the holidays : Swingers Discussion 172670
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsFitnessafter the holidays
TOPIC: after the holidays
Created by: SexusNTexas
Original Starting post for this thread:
Why do people always try to start new fitness/health/nutrition programs "after the holidays?" I know it's an excuse to make yourself miserable during the holidays with excess food, sugar, carbs, alcohol, etc. A new year, a new start, so goes the warped mentality of indulging.

Well, I'm not going to buy into that one this time. I do not want to gain weight and feel bloated and awful during the holidays. So, I'm going to be careful about what I put in my mouth (with exceptions...ha). Doesn't mean I won't have a Christmas cookie or two, but I will avoid over-indulging, I will avoid things like eggnog, etc., and make better choices. I'm not a fan of fudge, so why eat it? I do like sugar cookies with frosting, so I didn't make those this year, but I will have one at a friend's house b/c she and her grandchildren make them. I'll choose a small one.

And I'll keep up the pace walking, add some more little activities that I will continue, and make it through the excessive holidays without feeling like a failure.

And, after all, "after the holidays" is a misnomer: there's always SOME sort of holiday. This year, I'm going to try to celebrate ME.

Gina

GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 6 of 6 
User Details are only visible to members.
I absolutely agree with that. I don't just want to "diet" or have some goal for which to lose weight, like a cruise or a wedding, etc. We've seen people do this all the time. They always gain back what they lost, and that takes a toll on their bodies. I don't want something else that will take a toll on my body. I want to be healthier, feel and look better, decrease or eliminate diabetes meds, and just do things that won't make me feel foggy, irritable and not enjoy life.

So, while this seems to take time for me to fully implement, it's a process. I make mistakes with it. It's not something that comes naturally to me.

I learned long ago that real food is "good," not "bad," and the key is to, yes, enjoy it, but to also enjoy it in moderation. I am going to have a piece of chocolate. And not feel "bad." BUT what I have to watch for, is to NOT have a whole bag of M&Ms when one nice piece of Godiva will do.

Or things in a bag...what is that all about? Chips, pretzels, etc., crunchy stuff. Can I really make pita chips (which I like to do) and put them in a bag and that would satisfy that urge I have to crunch on something? And no, carrots aren't my answer (they're good, but it's a mental thing, not just that crunch). I learned in a nutrition program that if you need crunchy things, that's pent up anger that you need to get rid of...I don't know about that, but it was interesting.

Moderation. Which, of course, is a good rule for everything (except maybe sex!). I can't just say, "Oh I'll "start" after the holidays," or "I'll start again on Monday."

Why not, "I'll start right now?" It's not something that has a goal line or a starting gate. It's your life. Again, I'm not "there" yet, but I'm moving along those lines. We can set goals (we both want to start out by losing 20 pounds...it's not a race; it's something we want to do slowly and steadily and completely). It's all in the mindset of how we want to reach those goals.

Thanks, Gina

San Antonio TX
Username hidden
(7290 posts)
I learned this long ago, I just tend to bypass it or "forget:" HALT: hungry, angry, lonely or tired...ask yourself if you are eating (or not eating) due to any of those things or if you are truly hungry.

Listening to my body is a learned thing. And sometimes I'm just a slow learner.

San Antonio TX
Username hidden
(7290 posts)
You are like me, we are just opposites. With you, food is a "solace" of sorts...where with me, stress or a feeling of being out of control will cause me to stop eating. Both are equally dangerous....and I am glad we are both coming to a peaceful existence with ourselves. Just take things slowly. Drink lots of water...and when you are needing a snack ask yourself if you are truly hungry, or are you trying to self medicate.....and also, I have read that being dehydrated can trigger feelings of "hunger".

San Marcos TX
Username hidden
(23995 posts)
Thanks for the encouragement. I want someone besides myself to be accountable to, and will keep a food journal of sorts. I don't want to obsess, b/c that's one of the main problems I have with food. It's been a "comfort" since about 4th grade or so.

I want to feel better. I know what food can do to my moods (sugar makes me crabby and bitchy, and other carbs just zone me out somewhat), and I want other things to take its place when I'm angry or depressed or need comfort. I want to just learn to dance it away instead.

G.

San Antonio TX
Username hidden
(7290 posts)
And I'll keep up the pace walking, add some more little activities that I will continue, and make it through the excessive holidays without feeling like a failure."

Never feel like a failure, you have accomplished way too much to ever feel that way....weight or no weight. I do relate to you though. Last year I gained quite alot because its just SO EASY to indulge during this time of the year. And G Money, you can do it. You can do anything you put your mind to. You are one of the strongest women I have ever known, much stronger than I am myself. If there is anything I can do to motivate you, support you, whatever. You know where I am.

San Marcos TX
Username hidden
(23995 posts)
Why do people always try to start new fitness/health/nutrition programs "after the holidays?" I know it's an excuse to make yourself miserable during the holidays with excess food, sugar, carbs, alcohol, etc. A new year, a new start, so goes the warped mentality of indulging.

Well, I'm not going to buy into that one this time. I do not want to gain weight and feel bloated and awful during the holidays. So, I'm going to be careful about what I put in my mouth (with exceptions...ha). Doesn't mean I won't have a Christmas cookie or two, but I will avoid over-indulging, I will avoid things like eggnog, etc., and make better choices. I'm not a fan of fudge, so why eat it? I do like sugar cookies with frosting, so I didn't make those this year, but I will have one at a friend's house b/c she and her grandchildren make them. I'll choose a small one.

And I'll keep up the pace walking, add some more little activities that I will continue, and make it through the excessive holidays without feeling like a failure.

And, after all, "after the holidays" is a misnomer: there's always SOME sort of holiday. This year, I'm going to try to celebrate ME.

Gina

San Antonio TX
Username hidden
(7290 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 6 of 6 
TOPIC: after the holidays