Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Fitness What's your WOD (workout of the day)
TOPIC: What's your WOD (workout of the day)
GoTo Page: Less ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... More 
Start   31 to 40 of 933   End
User Details are only visible to members.
I went back to the gym yesterday after being away for approx. one month. As you know or may not know, I train at Planet Fitness in Vero Beach. One of the many problems with PF is that most of the people who work out there know nothing about true training and there is no one, except one little young woman who give newbies a crash course, at least that's what I've observed at the one I attend.

I have a friend who is planning on opening a club in Barbados when he retires in the next two years so I looked into the PF franchise and it is quite expensive and your net worth has to be pretty high if the figures are still current and/or accurate.

The culture at PF for newbies almost guarantees that the severely overweight or obese and those who know little to nothing about training will see any results. Coming from a hardcore training background I get annoyed when someone sits their ass on machines getting in the way. That's why PF is not designed for serious training people. It's just a keep fit place as I see it. You have to really come from a hardcore training background to get significant results or just plan on keeping fit.

Machines are good for newbies. Less chance of injury; they can learn proper technique in most cases and get an overall idea of what exercise does what for a specific muscle group.

I love free weights. I did legs yesterday. The day before I did cardio and shoulders and arms. Today I will be doing cardio/back and biceps. Yoga at home.

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(3658 posts)
It's still $9.95 for a specific club or $19.95 for a "black card' which lets you go to any one in the country plus some other goodies like tanning etc. I mean it's a decent deal all things considered. Being able to find one 10 miles from wherever you're traveling- like we do - is a major bonus. Plus most are open 24 hours so you don't find it closed at 5:30 am.

Yeah it's not recommended for serious athletes but I understand who they are marketing to. They don't want people who are in bad shape but want to do something about it - i.e. very self conscious people - being intimidated by musclehead guys shouting while dropping their 400 pound deadlift bar or virtually flawless women in tight clothes smirking at their belly while they try to work out and making them feel like shit. I get it.

btw: re machines....

I agree with you and I don't, somewhat. I think some machines are much, much better than ones of yesterday, allowing for more freedom of motion and more natural arcs to movements as opposed to straight up and down-type motions. And yes, training on machines with limited freedom of motion makes you prone to injury if you're carrying something heavy and the weight shifts onto underdeveloped muscles. Although that can also happen to free weight people who focus solely on certain things (such as those who only try to build huge arms). But - I think machines are better for beginners. Also this can be somewhat compensated for by using different versions of different exercise machines, if you know what I mean.

In short - free weights > modern machines >> machines of yesteryear.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20260 posts)
I understand VA. Honestly I would never workout or train at a PF BUT if I was going to buy a gym franchise that would probably be it. I'll probably offend a few people but PF's whole marketing strategy is to cater to the people who never go to the gym but buy and pay for memberships. Smart business really.

They put a new PF in town here a few years ago BTW. I think they advertised $9.95 memberships at the time.

Lexington KY
Username hidden
(2763 posts)
i guess it depends on the PF location, the one i belong to has a pretty extensive free area.

never cared much for machines but always saw the value in them for folks who aren't very knowledgeable as it can hopefully curtail beyond-safe-ROM injuries. not a heavy lifter, always preferred functional fitness (squats, plies, lunges, crunches, dips, pushups, deadlifts & good mornings, etc) & working with bars and the barre.

Manville NJ
Username hidden
(2900 posts)
I know what you mean TMF and I agree with you. Like I said this is a temporary measure to keep me working out until I have my own gym back.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20260 posts)
Unfortunately Planet Fitness does not support much in the way of lifting free weights.

"Fight Gone Bad" this morning. 3 rounds: 1 min wall balls (14 lb to 9') 1 min sumo deadlift high pull (55 lb) 1 min box jumps (20") 1 min push press (55 lb) 1 min row (for calories) 1 min rest Count reps (& calories). total 224 (first time since back surgery, so 30 reps less than my previous best, and wall balls are suppose to be to 10' but I can't do that yet).

mrs svc

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(973 posts)
I haven't bothered to see if anyone has published a study about this but based on my experience machines are bad news for anyone to use exclusively. You don't train the supporting muscles during the movements and it can cause injury later when you do something outside the "track"you trained up. Some do allow some movement but even the best dont allow enough. That said there are some that are important like leg press and hack squats for example but doing things like bench on machines will mess you up unless you are one of those that just come in and fart around twice a week.

Like most things to do with fitness opinions vary but you don't see bodybuilders or power lifters on machines unless the are isolating something on purpose.

Lexington KY
Username hidden
(2763 posts)
I used free weights exclusively prior to PF, as I had a gym at home, but it's currently in a shipping container waiting for us to tell them where to drop it. So, a gym it is.

PF has some free weights, and I use them for some things, but it's limited. It's OK. I'll get through this - moving to some free weights for some things, and upping reps on others. I only have maybe 3 more months of this to get through, max.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20260 posts)
Machines BAD, Free weights GOOD. Pump you UP!

Lexington KY
Username hidden
(2763 posts)
VA: if you've maxed out the pre-fab *and* rack n bar free lift systems, in what I privately call the man cave corner, you could always ask one of the PF "trainers" (*cough*) to put a program together for you. or, ask some guy whose arms you think are great for a new twist.

OT: hour of hard core interval cardio. got 40 minutes to go. yeah, I type during the recovery intervals. it takes forEVer to type a post. ;)

then: squats, plies, crunches, & yoga.

Manville NJ
Username hidden
(2900 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... More 
Start   31 to 40 of 933   End
TOPIC: What's your WOD (workout of the day)