Weight loss plateau : Swingers Discussion 207330101
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsFitnessWeight loss plateau
TOPIC: Weight loss plateau
Created by: sardukar
Original Starting post for this thread:
My wife and I decided to get feet wet in the life style about 1 1/5 ago and I figure before doing anything lets get in shape first..so I hit the gym hard and start doing cardio and lifting heavy..the result: went from size 38 to size 34 and from 210lb to 175lb..and this is where I stopped no matter what I do it wont budge. I lowered my cal. intake to less than 1500/day, increased the cardio to 45min/day plus 30min of lifting..still no go..In general the fat melted everywhere but around the bellybutton. I look ridiculous with a 4 pack and fat pad. :-) Ideas ?

PS the cardio is either elliptical for 45 min or running for 3 miles or HIIT /Tabata for 25min the heart rate goes up to 180b/min to no more 200.

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5
 1 to 10 of 45   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Cookies?!?!??? Where??? LOL

I'm guilty of weighing and measuring my food and counting and logging, etc. But I find that I need the regimentation because I have very little will-power on my own. I know, lame, but.......

Lahaina HI
Username hidden
(582 posts)
"And the Dark side has cookies! LOL"

hmmmm, cookies.... Actually, not lately. Even my cheat cake last night wasn't that tasty. Fresh watermelon & pineapple are so sweet to me now.

On the other hand, that key lime pie from Morten's the other weekend? Wowza! (since starting this challenge almost 90 days ago I have a cheat dessert once a week).

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(960 posts)
Who is him? ------------------------- The father of the owner of our box. He was a ZONE supporter. SVC was discussing the Zone diet.

Him is actually a really smart cookie, I'm just looking for other input.

Kind, don't get discouraged. Discouragement leads to anger, anger leads to the Dark side....And the Dark side has cookies! LOL

Jacksonville FL
Username hidden
(2271 posts)
So, IMHO, balanced meals / snacks = good. Be aware of portions = good. OCD with "blocks" and scales, and 40-30-30 = ?. LOL! ----------------------------------- Thanks so much for your insight and time to write such a fair assessment. I do sense a little OCD with him, but mostly in a good way.

I can't see myself weighing everything....I don't even weigh myself! LOL

Jacksonville FL
Username hidden
(2271 posts)
Zone Diet: Low calorie for obcessive compulsive people.

The good: protein with every meal/snack = increased sense of satisfaction/fullness. Controlled carbs + fat + protein at every meal/snack = slower to rise blood sugars & then slower to lower (no crashing). Still meets the classic definition for "low fat" (30% or less of total calories from fat).

The bad: if you really calculated it out per the book, it's really low calorie (mine was only 900 a day!!!). In the end he wrote that if you are an athlete or need more calories, then add fats. However, wouldn't that change his "magic ratio" that is suppose to be so wonderful? There was never any good science behind the 40-30-30 but we do know that any time you remove non-nutritional sugars/processed starches, increase vegetables/lean proteins, healthy fats, everyone feels better (duh???); he just packaged it up in a nice gimmick (like many other diet books).

The ugly: his claim to be "nominated for a Nobel Prize" was never substantiated - and it had nothing to do with the diet in the first place (he was an organic chemist). Later changed to "based on Nobel prize winning research .....". The "science" he claimed, the success he claimed with the swim team, was bogus - he gave them a lecture and then they won a championship, so he said it was his diet - but they didn't follow his diet. He never did any controlled studies. However, later other research was done. With a 1500 calorie version (still 40-30-30) there was measureable increased sense of satisfaction, less hunger, and "slightly" more weight loss compared to a 1500 calories traditional "low fat" diet (55-20-25). And subsequent use of slightly higher protein/lower carbohydrate diets have gained a lot of popularity.

So, IMHO, balanced meals / snacks = good. Be aware of portions = good. OCD with "blocks" and scales, and 40-30-30 = ?. LOL!

mrs svc, RD

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(960 posts)
When there is a plateau sometimes you have to take a couple days to eat MORE. That doesn't mean eating more junk, but just more of your healthy stuff. When there is a plateau sometimes you have to take a day of rest from your usual routine. Allow your body to recover, repair, rebuild. When there is a plateau sometimes you have to mix up the routine, do something different, do something at a different time of the day, split your routine. Re-evaluate your exercise program, too much cardio? Not enough strength training?

mrs svc

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(960 posts)
I think there is no need for dieting the bottom line is : 1. eat less 2. exercise more The diets really do work and help lowering few pounds but its hard to maintain. Once you hit the plateau adjusting the basic caloric intake is needed. For me at this dont work. I just go hungry all day and I don't like it..so I keep the current caloric intake and up the physical activity. Keep in mind the more muscle you build the more calories you burn.

New York NY
Username hidden
(323 posts)
Paleo is a modified version of Atkins, without the ketosis unless you do something called "The Whole 30" (people in my gym who do it, I can tell, they have keto breath/sweat, it stinks). ------------------------------------ I remember that from my Atkins days....Dragon Breath I called it. (no offense or relation to @Kind ...LOL)

That's what I like about most of Paleo over Atkins, better carb intake, although I still love a shot from the Redi Whip Can now and again! LOL

SVC - what about Zone? I haven't done much homework on it yet, Box Dad was a big Zone guy, moreso than Paleo.

Jacksonville FL
Username hidden
(2271 posts)
Sorry. "...what is CHO short for? PCOS? and what exactly is metabolic syndrome?"

CHO = carbohydrate (because it's made up of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen) PCOS = polycystic ovary syndrome (a metabolic condition with decreased glucose tolerance or high insulin resistence, causes infertility, usually women are heavy & have increased facial hair). Metabolic Syndrome is present if you have three or more of the following signs: • Blood pressure equal to or higher than 130/85 mmHg • Fasting blood sugar (glucose) equal to or higher than 100 mg/dL • Large waist circumference (length around the waist): ? Men - 40 inches or more ? Women - 35 inches or more • Low HDL cholesterol: ? Men - under 40 mg/dL ? Women - under 50 mg/dL • Triglycerides equal to or higher than 150 mg/dl Increases risk for Type 2 DM, stroke, cardiovascular disease. Often have markers for inflammation. Treatment for PCOS & Metabolic Syndrome is similar. Controlled/moderate carb, high monounsaturated fat, adequate protein, low calorie (weight loss), exercise program (weight loss).

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(960 posts)
@south - Thanks! I will certainly try lowering my protein to 100. That'll be easier for me to achieve, I think.

I don't think I could do a ketogenic diet. I'm already struggling right now with finding things to eat. I don't know what to eat instead of a starch (bread, rice, pasta, etc). I can only eat so much salad and veggies a day. :( I already have 2 salads a day right now.

Once I can exercise regularly again, I won't feel like I have to control my food intake so much.

Lahaina HI
Username hidden
(582 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5
 1 to 10 of 45   End
TOPIC: Weight loss plateau