Vegetarians and working out : Swingers Discussion 213778
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsFitnessVegetarians and working out
TOPIC: Vegetarians and working out
Created by: 2sleepyheads
Original Starting post for this thread:
Out of pure curiosity.. How many on here are vegetarians? I like to say I'm a part time vegetarian. meaning I will still eat meat, but my main diet is veggies. I am lucky it is a lot easier having accessible while at work.
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 9 of 9 
User Details are only visible to members.
The attached picture is of my girlfriend that is a vegetarian these days. Seem to be working for her but then she does drink 100 grams of whey protien isolate a day most of the time.

I only wish I could eat as clean as she does.

One thing I have learned is that vegetarians that don't eat meat for ethical reasons can be perfectly happy eating all the pasta and sugar, and plant oil they want. As a result, it is possible to a fat vegetarian.

Williamsport PA

Username hidden
(4 posts)
From a physician...

This is an interesting thread. People are speaking past one another.

Disclosure. We're omnivores. We'll do vegetarian meals. Sushi. Fritattas. And yes, once in a blue moon we'll get into the 'gotta have a steak' mood.

Strict vegetarians--plant food only--will have trouble getting sufficient protein. Even the addition of soy, beans and so on will make make for rate limitations in protein synthesis. The ovo-lacto folks are in much better shape because they are getting protein from animal sources that is a richer mix.

Most people require at least 1 gram of protein/kg body weight each day. The fitness folks are going to require more, and that is going to be really hard to do without some supplementation beyond plant sources.

There's little rationale for attacking people for balanced food choices. We've evolved that way. The plant eaters run into less problems with overweight, vascular disease and maybe some form of cancer. But they may not be as robust and resilient to certain illnesses and traumas. Food choices constitute a form of risk-management. They also constitute a form of pleasure. Both can be accomodated.

Atlanta GA

Username hidden
(436 posts)
Actually I speak as a Fitness industry, nationally certified trainer.

* Vegan for many years who won a female body building contest. Sooo... *

Anecdotal evidence are just that, anecdotal. And while you're entitled to your opinion, you're not entitled to your facts. Having said that, I wont argue with you. Plant based foods are not complete protein, it's a fact. That translates to the fact that they do not contain all the essential amino acids [we refer to them as essential for a reason]. When meat is consumed the digestive system breaks it down into amino acids. Which then gets absorbed into the blood stream, amino acids form the proteins which make up the human muscles and organs. The Amino Acids that are considered *essential* are the ones that humans are unable to produce, ex: Tryptophan, Valine, Lysine etc...Animal protein have ALL of the essentials that humans need. Cereal and grain on the other hand do not, in fact, Lysine is literally non existent in them. I guess you can rely on legumes, peas and peanuts for Lysine, but they sadly lack in tryptophan. Legumes peanuts and peas don't have cystine & methionine.

I trained a strict vegan about a year ago, he was 18 and a scrawny kid that was well over 6 feet. He worked hard, four hours a week with me, and 4 hours on his own. He couldn't put on muscle regardless of how hard he tried. After much struggling, he decided to add eggs to his diet. In less than 3 months, the kid put on 3lbs of muscle weight.

Anyway, my point is, that it's practically impossible to consume complete proteins when one is a strict vegetarian. Most that I've met tend to be stringy and unhealthy in appearance, more often than not, pale and suffer from Halitosis. Who knows, maybe you're an exception.

FYI, people over 60 years old, should be very very vigilante about taking enough lysine on daily basis.

Colts Neck NJ

Username hidden
(16526 posts)
You really cannot get complete protein from consuming veggies only. Muscle growth is heavily reliant on protein.

Colts Neck NJ

Username hidden
(16526 posts)
Dear forum police Capt.Sed. I forgot a interesting part of my original post (sleeping pill & beer). I wanted to know if anyone that is a vegetarian or vegan, that works out. How well does it work with your fitness routine. Can you tell a difference in being a vegetarian? I have fallen of the wagon.

Haw River NC

Username hidden
(397 posts)
Right, but this is a fitness forum, if you are a vegetarian, and work out, can you post about it? what is your workout routine? how many calories do you consume?

Based on your photos, you're not particularly muscular, so I'd guess that you don't do much resistance working out.

Colts Neck NJ

Username hidden
(16526 posts)
I have never heard that. But I find your post interesting. How hard is it for you to find play partners?

Haw River NC

Username hidden
(397 posts)
I'm a vegan for the most part and a beer drinker. I dont work out to much as I bust my ass at work.

Sacramento CA

Username hidden
(1 post)
Out of pure curiosity.. How many on here are vegetarians? I like to say I'm a part time vegetarian. meaning I will still eat meat, but my main diet is veggies. I am lucky it is a lot easier having accessible while at work.

Haw River NC

Username hidden
(397 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 9 of 9 
TOPIC: Vegetarians and working out