Training for a 5K : Swingers Discussion 2130371011
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsFitnessTraining for a 5K
TOPIC: Training for a 5K
GoTo Page: 1 2
Start   11 to 16 of 16 
User Details are only visible to members.
Barefoot running? was that a serious question?

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16378 posts)
You're absolutely correct Peg! That's why the first time hubby purchased from the store and all other purchases from online. Which is what I should have suggested.

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16378 posts)
great idea, but I have to interject this as a small business owner: if you are taking up the time of the store owner or salesperson and using their equipment to provide you with a detailed analysis of your stride for which there is no charge, you should buy your shoes from that store. The store is providing a service that an internet store is unable to provide and it is only fair that you purchase from them to cover the cost of the salesperson, equipment, rent, utilities, insurance, etc.

People do this to me all the time in my store. They use my resources, time and expertise, and they they try to write down the info so they can order online because I am ripping them off. I refuse to give them the information, and usually give them a lecture instead.

I have no issue with people shopping online - but then you need to do your research online and take your chances, or pay the store for the service it is giving you.

Ocean City NJ
Username hidden
(4892 posts)
Re; Shoes.

Hubby is a runner, has completed NJ Half marathon twice and has done dozens of 5k's and more.

Go to a Nike/New Balance/Adidas store (or look on line for one by you). Get on one of their computer analyzing machines. They will first make you walk, than run a little. You will be filmed and analyzed, and a proper shoe will be recommended to you. Take note of what they recommend, the model the size etc... Go home and order it online which will be by far cheaper than purchasing it in a store. Depending on your gait, depending on how strongly you land on your feet, running shoes are designed for anything between 400-500 miles. Hubby puts on about 25-35miles a week on his running shoes which means that he purchases a new pair every 2.5-3 months. For lifting, he changes into crosstraining sneaks.

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16378 posts)
Try interval training....example..jog for 2 min then walk for 1 min...or jog for 1 min walk for 30 seconds.....i use this and it works great...i use a interval timer i got from Walmart.....

Calhoun GA
Username hidden
(76 posts)
Couple things to consider if you get shin splints.

1) shoes. don't use old shoes. running/jogging shoes have ~100 miles before the insides are no longer providing any decent support. 2) your foot strike on the ground. are you slamming or lightly landing? running on your tippy toes? letting your knees go too far behind you? do a search on "pose running" for some tips. 3) proper warmup. stand with weight on your heels and lift toes up and down, rotate foot around the ankle. look for shin/calf warmups online. 4) what surface are you jogging on? avoid sidewalks as much as you can. cement is very hard. asphalt is softer. school tracks are nicest. chances are your 5K will be on street (asphalt).

Training couch to 5K. There are lots of programs out there. Don't think you have to jog continuous right now. Here is a slow version: Start with 1/4 mile jog + 1/4 mile walk/repeat to a total of 1 mile a day for the first week, then increase 1/2 mile total every week to a goal of 3.5 miles. Then advance to 1/2 mile jog + 1/4 mile walk, 3/4 mile jog + 1/4 mile walk, 1 mile jog + 1/4 mile walk, 1.5 mile jog + 1/4 mile walk, etc. Gradual increase in jogging mileage should improve your leg muscle capacity.

Nice thing about these types of 5Ks is that it's not about the speed, it's about the fun. Even if you walk some of it.

mrs svc

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(951 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
Start   11 to 16 of 16 
TOPIC: Training for a 5K