To Stretch or Not to Stretch : Swingers Discussion 1826771011
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsFitnessTo Stretch or Not to Stretch
TOPIC: To Stretch or Not to Stretch
GoTo Page: 1 2
Start   11 to 17 of 17 
User Details are only visible to members.
You guys right! Joyful, I use a similair technique and rarely hurt anything. My stretching is really a check to make sure all parts are working ok before I work them overtime. As I get older I find myself doing yoga like moves and workouts that only involve stretching. I used to think that stretching had to be like weights .. No Pain No Gain ... but learned if I overdue stretching I'm gonna hurt something.

Livermore CA
Username hidden
(3693 posts)
I remember reading that article. However, I also remember reading that for people ALREADY used to stretching to not just stop. You can get seriously hurt like that.

Pomona CA
Username hidden
(120 posts)
I always stretch prior to weight training. Combination of static stretching and very light cardio. Following that and before any major compoound movements I usally warm up with a lighter weight before attempting a heavier lift. Usally 10-25% of 1 rep max for 10-12 repetitions.

George School PA
Username hidden
(227 posts)
I do dynamic stretching and self-myofascial release both pre-and post workout, and will do static stretching post-workout as well.

It's a must for me. Without keeping the adhesions and trigger points at bay, I wind up with debilitating pain (e.g., right now, both my piriformis muscles are tight, and they're impinging on my sciatic nerve in my hips, making squats both painful and difficult to do, since it weakens my leg drive and makes pushing my knees out more difficult).

Similarly, I have to be careful with my lats, pecs, and shoulders, lest I start having pain during the bench.

Also, keeping the tendons and muscles in my forearms loose is a must, particularly with the arm I broke in training, or I get really bad pain (to the point of screaming) when I take a handoff on heavy benches.

Sitting is the devil. Working at a computer, doubly so.

Oakland CA
Username hidden
(84 posts)
FS, maybe you can show me how to warm up some time :)

Apollo PA
Username hidden
(741 posts)
Honestly, I have never heard that! Yes, I stretch quite a bit both before and after exercising. Actually, I have a lot of issues with shin splints when I run, and the one thing I have consistently read is to stretch to help reduce the shin splints. Very interesting post!

Apollo PA
Username hidden
(741 posts)
Is it time, once again, to stretch? For decades, many of us stretched before a workout, usually by reaching toward our toes or leaning against a wall to elongate our hamstrings, then holding that pose without moving until it felt uncomfortable, a technique known as static stretching. Most people, including scientists and entire generations of elementary-school P.E. teachers, believed that static stretching lengthened muscles and increased flexibility, making people better able to perform athletically.

But about 10 years ago, researchers began putting the practice to the test. They found that when athletes did static stretches, performance often suffered. Many couldn’t jump as high, sprint as fast or swing a tennis racquet or golf club as powerfully as they could before they stretched. Static stretching appeared to cause the nervous system to react and tighten, not loosen, the stretched muscle, the research showed.

Not surprisingly, stretching fell out of favor among well-informed athletes and coaches. Last year, new exercise guidelines issued by the American College of Sports Medicine specifically advised against static stretching before workouts or competitions. The European College of Sport Sciences issued a position statement saying that such stretching could “diminish” athletic performance.

Do you stretch out before exercise?

San Antonio TX
Username hidden
(8069 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
Start   11 to 17 of 17 
TOPIC: To Stretch or Not to Stretch