Tell me I'm not crazy : Swingers Discussion 121977
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsFitnessTell me I'm not crazy
TOPIC: Tell me I'm not crazy
Created by: lost_j1
Original Starting post for this thread:
I'm too impatient to find the ask Poly thread so I'm just asking. Now mind you, please forgive my ignorance in these matters. But I'm hoping there are others who have a dumb ass question like this, they just aren't crazy enough to ask like I am lol. So here goes.

Has anyone had to go UP a pant size when they have worked out religiously? I have stepped it up and I'm loving my speed walking. I doubled my work out and have added weights. I'm actually going to add a weight belt I think. So I am actually starting to have an ass. I am not gaining weight in my abdominal area, I am happy with that; but I am thinking I have to go up a size in jeans...does this makes sense?

GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 7 of 7 
User Details are only visible to members.
Second, many women with PCOS are insulin-resistant. In fact, they appear pre-diabetic and are often treated with metformin."

Yes, I was originally diagnosed with PCOS around 1997. I was put on metformin for a time and it was determined that my PCOS was not severe enough to warrant medications so I have not taken them in years and years. Honestly it has never been a condition that alters my life...I had no issues in staying pregnant with my children and I do not think it has made losing weight any harder. But it is interesting to me about the bulk up. Heehee, I'm not saying that this is what I am necessarily experiencing but it does make one wonder. Thank you for the information!!

Username hidden
(23991 posts)
Shell...

Two aspects to this.

First, elevated testosterone levels are part of the diagnostic criteria for PCOS. How high they are varies from patient to patient.

Second, many women with PCOS are insulin-resistant. In fact, they appear pre-diabetic and are often treated with metformin. Testosterone and insulin are potent anabolic hormones and can predispose SOME women with PCOS to bulk up when they start doing heavy lifting etc.

Bottom line, it's something that we pay attention to. It's not something we "warn" patients about. The physical activity is a key factor in preventing/treating obesity (50% of women with PCOS) and we are much more concerned about preventing/minimizing metabolic syndrome.

As M will tell you/us, it's fairly straightforward to construct an exercise prescription that focuses more on cardio/flexibility even using weight training. Mostly a strategy of lighter weights, more reps and especially exercises that include substantial minor muscle development.

Regards.

T

Atlanta GA
Username hidden
(438 posts)
Women with PCOS make testosterone in quantity and they can bulk up somewhat in response to training. "

I have PCOS and this is the first time I have ever heard of this. Can you elaborate on this?

Username hidden
(23991 posts)
Slippery...

I understand the frustration. A couple of things worth thinking about. First, "smaller" is not necessarily better. You didn't necessarily want to hear that, but speaking from a man's point of view, "fitter" is better.

Exercise generally causes muscle hypertrophy in men. It does not do so in most women because they do not have sufficient testosterone to mediate the response. There are a couple of exceptions. First, 1:20 women have polycystic ovary syndrome, PCOS. Women with PCOS make testosterone in quantity and they can bulk up somewhat in response to training.

Some medications (obviously the testosterone patch) and over the counter supplements contain testosterone alalogues and precursors. If you are taking such things, that's likely the source/cause...

Atlanta GA
Username hidden
(438 posts)
I have been working out on a regular basis since Feb 11th of 08, least 5-6 days a week 1 hour a day. I do different routines including eliptical, resistance weights, free weight and areobics. I eat healthy, finatically healthy. I had gained strength but but not lost fat or weight.. my appearnce hasn't changed. I decided to up my workouts to include and extra 30 minutes on my elitical a day. I gained 5 pounds doing this and got very discouraged and wasn't fitting my clothes. I since quit the extra workout and got back to my "normal" but its discouraging to get bigger when you work so hard to be smaller.

Broad Top PA
Username hidden
(1976 posts)
Shell...

This can happen as fat (which is moveable--what a girdle moves) disappears and muscle (which is not moveable) hypertrophies.

Your pant size bears only a passing relation to what you see in the mirror.

As long as you are feeling better and fitter, relax and enjoy the ride.

Tim

Atlanta GA
Username hidden
(438 posts)
I'm too impatient to find the ask Poly thread so I'm just asking. Now mind you, please forgive my ignorance in these matters. But I'm hoping there are others who have a dumb ass question like this, they just aren't crazy enough to ask like I am lol. So here goes.

Has anyone had to go UP a pant size when they have worked out religiously? I have stepped it up and I'm loving my speed walking. I doubled my work out and have added weights. I'm actually going to add a weight belt I think. So I am actually starting to have an ass. I am not gaining weight in my abdominal area, I am happy with that; but I am thinking I have to go up a size in jeans...does this makes sense?

Username hidden
(23991 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 7 of 7 
TOPIC: Tell me I'm not crazy