Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Fitness Target heart rate
TOPIC: Target heart rate
Created by: biandbi804
Original Starting post for this thread:
The cardio machines where we work out has suggested heart rate targets based on age. My resting heart rate is usually around 50-52 and it has been impossible for me to hit the target rate listed for my age no matter how hard or long I exercise. Is ther a way to figure an exercise heart rate target for someone 60 y.o. with a heart rate of 50? Thanks for any help on this. We just started the exercise program and I would really like to get the most out of it. R

GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 4 of 4 
User Details are only visible to members.
Don't forget, guys, that medium intensity exercise burns more fat than high intensity exercise. Don't push yourself too far over the edge to get a target heart rate that you can only sustain for 5 minutes, lol. Going 10-15 bpm lower but for two or three times as long is a better alternative, IMO.

Falls Church VA
Username hidden
(92 posts)
This depends on your goal? If your goal is fat loss the rule of thumb is 220 minus your age. Then your optimum heart rate to burn fat via krebs cycle is 60 to 70 percent of that number

For ex. Im 24, so 220 minus 24 equals 196. 196 times .60 (60 percent) is 117 196 times .70 (70 percent) is 137

So i should keep my target heart rate between 117 and 196 for fat loss. If your goal is cardiovascular health you'll need to work at a higher intensity. Most heart rate moniters on cardio equipment is very inacurate, i suggest you look into buying a personal heart rate monitor. You can pick one up at sporting stors (I.E. Sports authority) for about 70 or 80 bucks.......

good luck

Chicago IL
Username hidden
(4 posts)
The Suggested heart rate is based on a percentage of what is considered a "safe" maximum heart rate. The target heart rate for exercising is, I think, 60-85% of the calculated maximum. There are actually diseases of the heart that will limit the upper heart rate. Medications will also limit your maximum heart rate. Those medications are used to treat irregular heart rates as well as blood pressure. Extremely well conditioned athletes will often have very low heart rates even under extreme levels of exercise. There is a condition called athletic heart where because of the level of conditioning the heart rate is too low and does not rise enough to match activity level.

W/O effect from disease or medication, a lower heart rate and limited ability to raise the heart rate are an indication of better conditioning. If you are having problems reaching target heart rate it may be that you are just very well conditioned for exercise. It could also indicate a medical problem. There can also be an issue that causes a sudden, rapid fall in blood pressure after termination of high heart rate exercise. This can actually cause you to pass out suddenly.

Check with your doctor and see if you are on medications that limit your heart rate or may have a medical condition that my be limiting your heart rate.

One measure would be if you can maintain a level of exercise and still talk comfortably, you are doing well.

Chandler AZ
Username hidden
(31 posts)
The cardio machines where we work out has suggested heart rate targets based on age. My resting heart rate is usually around 50-52 and it has been impossible for me to hit the target rate listed for my age no matter how hard or long I exercise. Is ther a way to figure an exercise heart rate target for someone 60 y.o. with a heart rate of 50? Thanks for any help on this. We just started the exercise program and I would really like to get the most out of it. R

Calabash NC
Username hidden
(73 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 4 of 4 
TOPIC: Target heart rate