Study shows overweight people live longer : Swingers Discussion 123297
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsFitnessStudy shows overweight people live longer
TOPIC: Study shows overweight people live longer
Created by: Simbaxxx
Original Starting post for this thread:
This really puts a bite in my weightloss motivation...

************* By Denise Dador -Experts say that overweight people live longer than underweight people, normal weight and obese people. Tracey Posess is a mother of five and frequently goes to the gym. "I'm here as often as I can be. At least four to five days a week," said Posess. She's toned and muscular, but at 163 pounds and with "I feel like I don't think I'm overweight," said Posess. A BMI of 18.5 to 24.9 is considered normal weight. Twenty-five to 29.9 is overweight. A BMI greater than 30 is obese. Though no one wants to be labeled overweight, new research shows overweight people live longer than underweight, normal weight and obese people. The study found overweight people have a lower risk of death overall and from infections, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and lung disease. "The news, I think, hopefully will allow people to breathe the sigh of relief who may be in the overweight range," said clinical psychologist, Joshua Brown. But some say this research isn't enough to re-define overweight as healthy. "It only speaks to the likelihood of dying from particular causes. It does not address health status. It does not address quality of life," said Patrick O'Neil Ph.D., Weight Management Center director. Another recent study showed about half of overweight people have normal blood pressure and cholesterol levels. "It does reiterate to folks who may be in the overweight range that they are not necessarily unhealthy," said Brown. Tracey says the news is refreshing. "If they are showing it, then I'm thrilled to hear it, you know. I feel comfortable," said Posess. Comforting news, but experts say not a greenlight to go overboard. Experts say the slightly overweight people most likely to be healthy are those who are regular exercisers and have normal blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol levels.

GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 5 of 5 
User Details are only visible to members.
Gina, to build on your comment -- this is probably a very old joke:

A 40 year old man is told by his doctor that he has only 6 months to live.

"Oh my god!" says the man. "Isn't there anyway I can extend my life?"

"Well, yes..." says the Doctor. "Divorce your beautiful wife, and take up with a fat, single mother of four in a trailer park next to a landfill in Bumfuk, Georgia..."

"Good god!", the man says. "You mean that will make me live longer?"

"No," says the doctor -- "but it will seem longer."

Charlotte NC
Username hidden
(566 posts)
"In comparison, there were 112,000 extra deaths among the obese category and nearly 34,000 extra deaths among the underweight category."

Unless of course you are one of those people that are in the starvation mode. I recently saw a special on the news that your body releases special protection hormones in your system when it senses starvation. So, there are actually groups that are members practicing starvation (they looked really unhealthy) but studies have shown people live longer. Well which is it? Extreme underweight or overweight live longer? LOL!

Mountain Ranch CA
Username hidden
(8696 posts)
Reminds me of the study about married men. They say married men live longer than single men. Wait a beat. "not true...it just SEEMS longer!"

San Antonio TX
Username hidden
(5605 posts)
The problem here is using BMI as a surrogate for body fat. Gym 4-5 times/week and a real workout, I suspect that body fat is low-normal.

Atlanta GA
Username hidden
(437 posts)
This really puts a bite in my weightloss motivation...

************* By Denise Dador -Experts say that overweight people live longer than underweight people, normal weight and obese people. Tracey Posess is a mother of five and frequently goes to the gym. "I'm here as often as I can be. At least four to five days a week," said Posess. She's toned and muscular, but at 163 pounds and with "I feel like I don't think I'm overweight," said Posess. A BMI of 18.5 to 24.9 is considered normal weight. Twenty-five to 29.9 is overweight. A BMI greater than 30 is obese. Though no one wants to be labeled overweight, new research shows overweight people live longer than underweight, normal weight and obese people. The study found overweight people have a lower risk of death overall and from infections, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and lung disease. "The news, I think, hopefully will allow people to breathe the sigh of relief who may be in the overweight range," said clinical psychologist, Joshua Brown. But some say this research isn't enough to re-define overweight as healthy. "It only speaks to the likelihood of dying from particular causes. It does not address health status. It does not address quality of life," said Patrick O'Neil Ph.D., Weight Management Center director. Another recent study showed about half of overweight people have normal blood pressure and cholesterol levels. "It does reiterate to folks who may be in the overweight range that they are not necessarily unhealthy," said Brown. Tracey says the news is refreshing. "If they are showing it, then I'm thrilled to hear it, you know. I feel comfortable," said Posess. Comforting news, but experts say not a greenlight to go overboard. Experts say the slightly overweight people most likely to be healthy are those who are regular exercisers and have normal blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol levels.

Mountain Ranch CA
Username hidden
(8696 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 5 of 5 
TOPIC: Study shows overweight people live longer