Need Help Getting Started : Swingers Discussion 176121
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsFitnessNeed Help Getting Started
TOPIC: Need Help Getting Started
Created by: SexyJessiBigRob The original post for this thread was deleted.
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 18   End
User Details are only visible to members.
If you want to keep a journal try the free one at fitday dot com lots of people use it.

Southington CT
Username hidden
(6 posts)
Robert, The first thing anyone should do when try to change their behavior is truly understanding and measuring what they're doing now. You also need motivation. If you go to a financial planner, that person will ask you what you're spending your money on, how much, etc. Then they'll tell you you're about to go broke if you keep it up or how you'll get rich just by doing this or that! So to change your body, you have to get on a scale, write down what you're eating now (don't kid yourself, really keep a log for a week), and be truly honest with yourself. You also need something to motivate you that really counts. Maybe a vacation to Hedo or maybe a doctor telling you your diabetes is gone. Maybe getting on a scale in front of everyone once a week is what it will take. A company out there makes millions of dollars a year with that technique as part of their plan. Most systems can get you part of the way but you just have to DO SOMETHING and do it enough so it's a little tough at first. Eventually, better habits will build up and your weight go down. But be healthy first and that's something not everyone can see and it doesn't require you to look like a model.

Southington CT
Username hidden
(326 posts)
Something else to consider: Nothing works for everybody. If what you're doing isn't working -- even if others have sworn by it -- try something else.

BUT! Don't try something for two weeks, decide it's not working, and change. You should give what you're trying at least six months before you decide it's not working.

For example, in my training, there are certain movements that do absolutely nothing for my strength, or at least don't affect the strength of the muscle group it's supposed to target. It may be due to anatomical issues, form issues, or what-have-you, but there are some things that work GREAT for some people, and yet won't do a thing for someone else.

A good example of this for me is the JM press for triceps. All they really do for me is cause my elbows to start hurting, which ends up hindering my bench. On the other hand, skullcrushers, one-armed lying kettlebell triceps extensions, and Panora presses work really well for my tricep strength. Yet there are world-record-holding bench pressers who swear by the JM press for increasing tricep strength.

Does this mean they're wrong? No. Does it mean I'm wrong? No. It just means people are different, and what works for some won't work for others.

The short version of this is: be patient, find what works for you, and then stick to it. Make it habitual, but try to maintain variety (e.g., increase the weight, or do a variant on the movement).

The same goes for nutrition: find what works for you, stick to it, make it habitual, but maintain variety.

Oakland CA
Username hidden
(84 posts)
Ill add my 2 cents also. lol Like others have said nutrition is key, any trainer will tell you "Abs are made in the kitchen not in the gym." With that said It all depends on what your goal is ie. just get some pounds off, get fit looking, or get muscular. When my wife and I first started we did the abs diet with the workout dvd. It worked great for us, but took time getting used too the eating part of it. You have to throw the word diet right out the window. We never dieted, we changed our eating habits from bad food to good food, not easy at first but really easy now. We actually get a lot of recipes from bodyrock.tv. So as far as the abs diet we found that we out grew the work outs really fast. So we joined the gym to supplement, more cardio and heavy weights. So for us abs diet was a great starter program. We next ditched the abs diet workout and just focused on going to the gym. cardio and heavy weights 5x reps. This is where we saw the most improvement in body change and pretty much became addicted to working out. We also threw the bathroom scale in the garbage ( the scale is not your friend trust us). We also tried p90x and this was our results and opinion of the program. P90x will kick your butt and definitely get you ripped if you put the time and effort into it. Now for the BUT.. We got pretty ripped and lost weight but we also lost a lot of strength and muscle mass because we were no longer lifting heavy at the gym, because we were basically just doing P90x and cardio. So we dropped P90x and went back to cardio and lifting heavy, which works for us and its what we like. So you have to find your own goal and be determined. Also workout together with your wife, my wife has always been my workout partner. I get so proud when I see people staring as she does sets of chin ups and knocks out sets off push ups like nothing. Oh my and when her body glistens from sweat from lifting, good god....but I digress. When we first started she could barley do 1 push up and forget a chin up. lol So this is my 2 cents, hope it is helpful and I will leave you with a quote. Morgan Freeman Shaw-shank Redemption "Either get busy living or get busy dieing." Hopefully you guys get busy living. Paul

Southington CT
Username hidden
(6 posts)
Nope you did not. And I had some funny ass test messages you would have loved : )

Lansing MI
Username hidden
(1624 posts)
Im good, how are you? My phone number changed, have I given you the new one? I miss hearing about the crazy shit you do!!!

San Marcos TX
Username hidden
(23995 posts)
Lost...

However, if i could "swing" it I would have surgery. But, yes I agree changing how one eats is a big big factor.

Hey como estas, amiga

Lansing MI
Username hidden
(1624 posts)
My greatest advice is this. Nutrition, nutrition, nutrition. Eating properly and healthy is absolutely, positively crucial and key. You canNOT eat like a fat person and live like a thin person. No matter what the infomercials tell you, no matter the commercials, no pill replaces proper diet and exercise. Nutrition is essential. I work with a lady who had gastric bypass surgery and then a tummy tuck. She eats HORRIBLY and constantly. Like, chips, pasta, soda, sandwiches....I don't think I have seen this woman eat one nutritious piece of food yet. And she has gained almost every pound she lost from the surgery. As far as getting started, start slowly. Keep a food log. You can definately do it!!!

San Marcos TX
Username hidden
(23995 posts)
We wholeheartedly agree about the diet. You can workout til you drop, but if you eat unhealthy it's like running in quicksand. We have a friend who started walking a few hours a day, but dramatically changed his eating habits and lost almost 100 pounds. I worked out for years but ate horribly and never got in the kind of shape I have in the last 3 years when I finally started eating healthy. The 6-pack starts in the kitchen.

We also agree about not making it solely abut weight. It's good to have goals, but if you focus strictly on the scale, then you get what we call The Biggest Loser syndrome. It's why a majority of contestants on that show end up regaining their weight. It's really all about lifelong lifestyle changes. Throw your scale in a closet and let the way your clothes fit, the way you feel and the reflection in the mirror tell you that you're making changes.

RnS

West Sacramento CA
Username hidden
(28 posts)
I second the opinions about diet. Particularly for novices, it doesn't matter what you do in the gym, as long as you're doing it for an adequate period of time, with intensity. The real gains will come from fundamentally changing the way you eat. Eat more whole foods (i.e., less or no processed foods...if it comes in a box, can, bag, etc., don't eat it), eat more animal protein (if it had a face, it's fair game), up your cruciferous vegetable intake, and drink lots of water.

Don't make it about "weight". I can shed 10-30 lbs of weight in a week. Of course, it'll all come right back as soon as I stop cutting weight, but that's the point...it's not sustainable loss. Make it about how you look in the mirror, and how you feel.

And whatever you do, don't go nuts and start severely restricting your caloric intake. Particularly if you're going to be active; you need MORE calories, not less, to support the activity. You should figure out what maintenance intake is once you're active -- the amount of food at which you neither gain nor lose weight -- and then aim to eat 500 cals/day less if your goal is weight loss.

Or, if you want something more "scientific" and "planned" because that seems too easy, look into carb cycling.

Oakland CA
Username hidden
(84 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 18   End
TOPIC: Need Help Getting Started