Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Fitness Legs and my aching knees
TOPIC: Legs and my aching knees
Created by: King20
Original Starting post for this thread:
I have finally accepted that I can no longer do leg presses or squats without my knees screaming at me for a good week. Does anyone have suggestions for good leg exercises to replace them that are easy on the knees?

GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 6 of 6 
User Details are only visible to members.
That's exactly the same thing the military told me about the brace but it made me feel better. My ACL is gone, the meniscus is torn, arthritis, surgery and I tried injections. In short my left knee is a wreck and hurts all the time. Glucosamine helps a bit but mostly no more running unless I have too. Like everyone said though see your Doc it shouldn't hurt. I'd run and be sore for days than start the cycle all over again. See the Doc, really and don't let them blow you off.

Hendersonville TN
Username hidden
(1188 posts)
I have torn meniscus and arthritis and am going through injections in my knee right now. My (military) doctor suggested eliptical machines to build my calf and thigh muscles so that they will take on some of the strain on my knees. Makes sense. Do as much (or little) as you can stand at first and build from there. A friend with weaker leg muscles could only do 3 or 4 minutes at first, and now she is doing 40 minutes.

He also said a knee brace is unneccessary (have had 2 docs tell me that), but it gives a sense of security more than any real support. But that's up to you.

Good luck, Gina

San Antonio TX
Username hidden
(5605 posts)
"The first suggestion is---see your doc" Honestly, I never thought to. I just figured it was like that old joke....doctor it hurts when I do this, well then dont do that.

"Are you investing adequate time on knee (lower thigh and calf) strengthening exercises" I'm not sure. I do try to hit all muscle groups every week but I'm no expert. What would you suggest?

North Providence RI
Username hidden
(19 posts)
I blew out my knee in the military and so anything with alot of weight on it has me buckling or running anymore than 1/4 of a mile and I am flat on my face.

About the only exercise, outside of stretching, that I can do without hurting afterwards is the elliptical machine. I keep my knee brace on and I can make it about 45 min or so, depending on the day.

It doesnt give my legs the normal work out of weights or machines but it does give me some.

Not sure if that will help you at all or not.

Murfreesboro TN
Username hidden
(1009 posts)
The first suggestion is---see your doc. This may be early arthritis. It may be other things. Sometimes some pre-emptive ibuprofen can work wonders.

Are you investing adequate time on knee (lower thigh and calf) strengthening exercises in your weekly rotation? When joints hurt, I always ask about the muscular supporting frame and whether those are being supported.

Are you inadvertently transferring lateral loads from hip to knee during squats? Are your feet pointed where they need to be, and legs optimal distance apart, etc?

Are you on the treadmill for cardio? This really beats up knees with even the slightest improper form. Elliptical machines--especially the Cybex ArcTrainer series and the Precor AMT 100--are MUCH kinder to aging knees than treadmills and even stairmaster type devices.

Hack squats can be useful if there is a form issue and you are translating the force of keeping your back where it needs to be to your knees. Even the day after I have been on the leg press and my knees and hips notice it, I can get a good workout on the hack squat machine. I do not recommend it as a steady exercise plan, but there are times that I need to protect upper body and have planned less than optimally...

Other alternatives that work for me are step ups, initially without and later with some weight loading.

Mariana will likely have additional excellent suggestions.

Atlanta GA
Username hidden
(438 posts)
I have finally accepted that I can no longer do leg presses or squats without my knees screaming at me for a good week. Does anyone have suggestions for good leg exercises to replace them that are easy on the knees?

North Providence RI
Username hidden
(19 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 6 of 6 
TOPIC: Legs and my aching knees