Knees and Fiber help : Swingers Discussion 214316
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsFitnessKnees and Fiber help
TOPIC: Knees and Fiber help
Created by: itsbeen20yrs
Original Starting post for this thread:
Looking for help on a couple items:

1. Knee issues. I had meniscus surgery about 15 years ago. Trimmed the frayed front edge and trimmed up a "V" cut in the back of it. Since starting to do Crossfit the Box Jumps and now heavy squat reps are getting to me. I started wearing a donut neoprene brace, doing step-ups and avoiding squats if it's aggrivated and it has helped some. The next day after some WODs I can hardly move it. If I rest for 2-4 days it's great, until the next day of Wall Balls or Heavy Squats.

Any suggestions short of going back to Orthopedic surgeon?

2. Fiber - I started evening doses of psyillim fiber to help clean out the old tubes. Has worked great! Was told to switch to a "prebiotic, vegetable based" fiber after a few weeks so I don't kill off all the good shit (excuse the pun) in the intestines. Any suggestions for a good brand, mix, dosage, etc?

Thanks!

GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 23   End
User Details are only visible to members.
FYI: IB2Y hasn't been around SLS for a few months but we're Facebook friends. He has rehabbed his knee and continues to do Crossfit and loving it. In fact, he PR'd a lot of moves/lifts during the recent Crossfit Open competition. mrs svc

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(953 posts)
You may want to explore alternative styles of training. I know Crossfit is the rage now but it's HITT training "High Impact Interval Training", the damaging part of that for those who have previous injuries is the High Impact. If you have injuries you may end up paying for it in the future and not be able to walk at all. Try lower impact resistance training. You'll still get fit and won't destroy your body while doing it.

Spring TX
Username hidden
(18 posts)
I had ACL and MCL reconstruction done on my right knee when I was 18 and I was running 5 miles a day up until 6 years ago. I recently started back up and found that my knee doesn't always agree with the workouts. I found my old jar of tigar balm and thought "what could it hurt?" and it actually worked! The only down side is now I smell like a mint bush just vomited all over my knee but after a hard work out, I welcome the relief!

I have been drinking 8oz of the Bolt House fruit and veggi smoothies in the evening! It is a great way to get the fiber at night and it works great in the morning! LOL

R

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3199 posts)
I have had PT for other areas, neck and shoulder (good ole arthritis) and torn Achilles tendons and all was helpful and I still do some/most of the exercises. Relearning to actually walk was probably most helpful, even for my knees.

I will def. talk to my doctor again. Thank you for your input. I avoid surgery and meds and drs as much as possible.

Gina

San Antonio TX
Username hidden
(7271 posts)
Hi Gina, Disclaimer of course, talking to your doctor is always advised! The last surgery I had (in August) was ostensibly for a torn meniscus, but they also did a debridement and chondroplasty, just a general clean-up job on a severely damaged knee with lots of arthritis. I had been exercising regularly, with lots of walks up to the point of the surgery. And while I had pain, and I limped, and it was stiff, it WAS getting better (this was over a time period of about 9 months). I was actually thinking a few days before the surgery to cancel it. And I wonder if I should have, because I'm worse off than before. I had 3 injections of Euflexa in December, once a week for three weeks, and I'm still worse off than before the surgery. From my perspective, the walking was doing me good. I have trouble going uphill versus down, but the pain was lessening over time. With my particular patellar-femoral problems, bicycling is not good and is painful, but bicycling may be a better choice for you. The elliptical is great for me. And if you have issues going downhill, then maybe using a treadmill would be better, and you can use the incline function to get more out of it. Have you had any physical therapy? I'm still doing my home exercises and I think they do help as well. Good luck!!!

Gibsonia PA
Username hidden
(6742 posts)
Here is my knee Catch 22-I want to be healthy, healthier. I also have a torn meniscus. I'm trying to take walks, and add in some workouts with a trainer (postponed until first week of Feb for now). I know if I get some weight off the knees that they will feel better, but I have to be able to exercise and walk, etc., to get the weight off and the pain is awful.

I've been injected w/ hyaluric acid (5 injections in 5 weeks, a few years ago) and then again with a special injection that did 3-in-one and was the worst pain by far that I've ever felt in my whole 52 years of life. I won't do that one again. It wasn't hyaluric acid, but I forget what it was called.

So. Help. Should I try bike riding instead of walking? Walking is ok except we have a lot of small inclines. Going up is no prob. Going down is the killer.

I will listen to any advice. I trust you people in this thread, and know you have good advice. Thanks in advance.

And there are just some sexual positions that my knees can't handle :( Yet.

Gina

San Antonio TX
Username hidden
(7271 posts)
Knees are delicate grudge-holding beasts. Once you fuck them over, they never forget, never forgive and never stop reminding you about that one time when you screwed up :-/ ---------- Jax...sounds like someone I was once married too! LOL

Jacksonville FL
Username hidden
(2271 posts)
Thanks Leez.

I too take Lovaza for Cholesterol and get that benefit. I added Vitamin D last summer. Also MSM/Glucoasmine (sp?) for little over 2 years now.

I'm going to try adding a few of the others mentioned and just keep rolling it out before, keeping it wrapped during and icing after. It seems to be the holy trinity so far.

Thanks folks, appreciate the help.

Jacksonville FL
Username hidden
(2271 posts)
Continued - sorry, iPad wouldn't let me keep typing!!!

Anyway, not until I got back and talked to my doctor did I understand the additional benefit I was getting from Lovaza - I had been taking it to lower my triglycerides, where it works great too.

I added vitamin D and hyaluronic acid this past year after discussions with a doctor in the UK; I can't tell if they are helping, but I'll stick with them; I don't see a downside at present.

Good luck with your knee IB!

Gibsonia PA
Username hidden
(6742 posts)
Of course you should consult with your doctor on your knee issues, and I'm not a doctor, so there's the disclaimer...!

I've had 6 knee surgeries so far, resulting from knee problems I've had since about the ago of 10, so I guess you could say I'm an expert on knee pain.

I take a number of supplements (glucosamine chondroitin, vitamin D, hyaluronic acid, omega 3 fatty acids), and while I believe I get benefits for my knees from all of these, the only one I know for sure helps my knee pain is omega 3 fatty acid, which I take in prescription form as Lovaza.

The reason I know it helps me is because I was on a trip to the UK 2 years ago and got stuck because of the volcanic ash cloud. I was supposed to be there for 2 days of meetings, and instead I was stuck for 2 weeks. I had just enough Lovaza to last for my trip. By the beginning of the second week my knees were really hurting me and I couldn't understand why.

Gibsonia PA
Username hidden
(6742 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 23   End
TOPIC: Knees and Fiber help