It's Not What You Eat, It's How Much : Swingers Discussion 124968
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsFitnessIt's Not What You Eat, It's How Much
TOPIC: It's Not What You Eat, It's How Much
Created by: DANANDFDN
Original Starting post for this thread:
EVERYTING in moderation - that is my philosophy

Study Zeroes In on Calories, Not Diet, for Loss By TARA PARKER-POPE Published: February 25, 2009

For people who are trying to lose weight, it does not matter if they are counting carbohydrates, protein or fat. All that matters is that they are counting something.

That is the finding of the largest-ever controlled study of weight-loss methods published on Wednesday in The New England Journal of Medicine. More than 800 overweight adults in Boston and Baton Rouge, La., were assigned to one of four diets that reduced calories through different combinations of fat, carbohydrates and protein. Each plan cut about 750 calories from a participant’s normal diet, but no one ate fewer than 1,200 calories a day.

While the diets were not named, the eating plans were all loosely based on the principles of popular diets like Atkins, which emphasizes low carbohydrates; Dean Ornish, which is low-fat; or the Mediterranean diet, with less animal protein. All participants also received group or individual counseling.

After two years, every diet group had lost — and regained — about the same amount of weight regardless of what diet had been assigned. Participants lost an average of 13 pounds at six months and had maintained about 9 pounds of weight loss and a two-inch drop in waist size after two years. While the average weight loss was modest, about 15 percent of dieters lost more than 10 percent of their weight by the end of the study. Still, after about a year many returned to at least some of their usual eating habits.

The lesson, researchers say, is that people lose weight if they lower calories, but it does not matter how.

“It really does cut through the hype,” said Dr. Frank M. Sacks, the study’s lead author and professor of cardiovascular disease prevention at the Harvard School of Public Health. “It gives people lots of flexibility to pick a diet that they can stick with.”

Dr. Sacks said that to reduce bias the researchers avoided associating any of the diets with well-known commercial eating plans. While attendance at counseling sessions was linked with better weight loss, that was not true for every dieter. In some groups, people lost large amounts of weight even though they attended only a few counseling sessions.

The real question for researchers, Dr. Sacks said, is what are the biological, psychological or social factors that influence whether a person can stick to any diet.

“The effect of any particular diet group is minuscule, but the effect of individual behavior is humongous,” Dr. Sacks said. “We had some people losing 50 pounds and some people gaining five pounds. That’s what we don’t have a clue about. I think in the future, researchers should focus less on the actual diet but on finding what is really the biggest governor of success in these individuals.”

GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 8 of 8 
User Details are only visible to members.
Bi-I just read another article about eatig in restaurants and autmatically dividing the portion in half and packaging the other half for home. Me-I usually get an appetizer and cup of soup or salad. Anyway -from a girl who just had seafood chowder for breakfast I'm shutting up for now.

Annandale NJ
Username hidden
(1988 posts)
so true, all of it. Thanks.

San Antonio TX
Username hidden
(5605 posts)
Yes, and remember to stay hydrated G. Oftentimes our bodies can confuse thirst for hunger. If I just ate and I am hungry and know that I should not be hungry I will drink a large glass of water and change my activity. Boredom and thirst can contribute for lots of needless calories being injested. Sitting in front of the tv....that is notorious needless calorie time because you will honestly be eating and not paying attention to what you are eating.

San Marcos TX
Username hidden
(23995 posts)
We are relearning all that, and I do understand and TRY to follow the principle of eating til satisfied and NOT stuffed. Also, slowing down and enjoying it. Also...smaller portions ESPECIALLY in restaurants. I learned years back to take stuff home if I wanted and to only eat half of what is served, but I've regretfully fallen off of that concept the past few years, so I know what to do. Yes. I just need to now do it.

We are progressing. For the past month, I've done horribly with food issues, and I'm ready to try again and move forward. it actually feels GOOD to feel true hunger.

Gina

San Antonio TX
Username hidden
(5605 posts)
I agree on the stopping when you are satiated. Another good trick is to eat slow. Americans especially simply seem to always feel like we have to almost gobble our food, esp. at lunch. I have a friend, I despise going to lunch with her because she admittedly inhales her food...then will tell you that she is waiting on you. I have started driving my Jeep when she goes so she can leave early. We need to adopt the european habit of enjoying food more I think, if you eat slower and actually pay attention to the food you are eating you allow your brain to catch up with your stomach.

San Marcos TX
Username hidden
(23995 posts)
I've started weighing and measuring our foods again, just for the hell of it. We were eating less protein at lunch and dinner than I thought. It's ok for me, but Mr is a weight killing beast and needs his full protein. Rule of thumb, when you belly says, i feel good-stop.

Annandale NJ
Username hidden
(1988 posts)
Right on. The problem is M, and you know this 10 times more than I do myself, is the American distortion of the single serving portion. Its all about getting more bang for your buck I suppose. Where do people go to eat? Where they can get the most food for the least money. There is a Tai restaurant in Austin that serves the most fabulous rice noodles. They only give you a little bit and basically only myself and another girl will eat there because the others say you don't get enough food for your money. Its not that, its you get a proper single serving portion! Why do you think there is not more education in this country on that, what a proper single serving is?

San Marcos TX
Username hidden
(23995 posts)
EVERYTING in moderation - that is my philosophy

Study Zeroes In on Calories, Not Diet, for Loss By TARA PARKER-POPE Published: February 25, 2009

For people who are trying to lose weight, it does not matter if they are counting carbohydrates, protein or fat. All that matters is that they are counting something.

That is the finding of the largest-ever controlled study of weight-loss methods published on Wednesday in The New England Journal of Medicine. More than 800 overweight adults in Boston and Baton Rouge, La., were assigned to one of four diets that reduced calories through different combinations of fat, carbohydrates and protein. Each plan cut about 750 calories from a participant’s normal diet, but no one ate fewer than 1,200 calories a day.

While the diets were not named, the eating plans were all loosely based on the principles of popular diets like Atkins, which emphasizes low carbohydrates; Dean Ornish, which is low-fat; or the Mediterranean diet, with less animal protein. All participants also received group or individual counseling.

After two years, every diet group had lost — and regained — about the same amount of weight regardless of what diet had been assigned. Participants lost an average of 13 pounds at six months and had maintained about 9 pounds of weight loss and a two-inch drop in waist size after two years. While the average weight loss was modest, about 15 percent of dieters lost more than 10 percent of their weight by the end of the study. Still, after about a year many returned to at least some of their usual eating habits.

The lesson, researchers say, is that people lose weight if they lower calories, but it does not matter how.

“It really does cut through the hype,” said Dr. Frank M. Sacks, the study’s lead author and professor of cardiovascular disease prevention at the Harvard School of Public Health. “It gives people lots of flexibility to pick a diet that they can stick with.”

Dr. Sacks said that to reduce bias the researchers avoided associating any of the diets with well-known commercial eating plans. While attendance at counseling sessions was linked with better weight loss, that was not true for every dieter. In some groups, people lost large amounts of weight even though they attended only a few counseling sessions.

The real question for researchers, Dr. Sacks said, is what are the biological, psychological or social factors that influence whether a person can stick to any diet.

“The effect of any particular diet group is minuscule, but the effect of individual behavior is humongous,” Dr. Sacks said. “We had some people losing 50 pounds and some people gaining five pounds. That’s what we don’t have a clue about. I think in the future, researchers should focus less on the actual diet but on finding what is really the biggest governor of success in these individuals.”

Elmer NJ
Username hidden
(3110 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 8 of 8 
TOPIC: It's Not What You Eat, It's How Much