Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Fitness How Many Reps
TOPIC: How Many Reps
Created by: TechSupport
Original Starting post for this thread:
I've started working out with my nephew. My nephew says I should do more reps with less weight (4 or 5 reps on each machine) and a friend says I should do less reps with more weight (enough weight that I can barely finish the set).

What's best?

Wayne

GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 11   End
User Details are only visible to members.
OK, from what I've heard. read, and experienced...

1. Weight training is NOT just another form of cardio... Weight training is really important to any fitness routine. Cardio will build up you aerobic capacity, but proper weight training builds anaerobic as well. Normal weight training (not body building) also burns a lot more caleries per given period of time, esp when you work the larger muscle groups, like legs and upper/lower back.

2. There is no "best" when it comes to number of reps. Different strategies get you different results, and ultimately the human body gets used to the repetition if you only do one routine week after week. The best strategy overall is to mix it up... Personally, I do combo sets. One day I'll do a base set of 10-15 reps, then add 1 level of difficulty to that and go until I can't do any more. The next day I'll do a 1 set of 6-8 at 1 level higher than my base, then a set of 6-10 at my base, then drop the weight to 1 level below my base and push till I'm spent... I just pick a different strategy every other trip to the gym... keeps my from getting bored and keeps my training from becoming to repetitious.

Tracy CA
Username hidden
(4 posts)
I will echo what others have said. If you want to cut out bodyfat you need to get your diet in check. Reduce both calories and carbs. The protiend shakes will help greatly as you want to increase protien intake and take in at least 1gm of protien per pound of lean body mass. Cardio will help the process and also help your lipid profile and blood pressure.

I personally don't think lifting light weights and doing high reps will do much for you. To me it is just another form of cardio. You should target each excercise to do 3 sets of 5. This will both burn fat and increase muscle faster then anything. When you can get the last set done easily up the poundage.

Do big compound movements that work multiple body parts. You will burn calories and develop a nice hard physique if that is your goal.

This is a difficult plan for most but very effective. I have lifter that way for many years with good results in strength and physique. I don't do much cardio unless I am cutting and my lipid profile and BP are very good.

Good Luck. Ultimately pick a plan you'll do and stick with it!!

George School PA
Username hidden
(227 posts)
And Sea Salt is sooooo much yummier.

Sacramento CA
Username hidden
(13 posts)
Doing heavier weight with less reps is what is going to build muscle. But concentration is very important when lifting. Pay attention to what you are doing, and listen to your body. Feel your muscles contract, and make sure you are using the muscles that are supposed to be used for that exercise. I cant believe how many people I see gawking around the gym while doing a set. They are an injury waiting to happen.

Lean protein is also a must!!!! I cannot stress how important it is to EAT while trying to build muscle. One gram of protein per body weight. Example,,, if you weigh 200lbs, you should be eating 200 grams of protein each day. Also your body can only assimilate between 20 and 30 grams of protein per meal, unless you are supplementing with some sort of steroid {which I am certain you are not}.

Also your workouts need to fit into an hour. Overtraining is not productive, and you actually do more harm than good. So stop talking at the gym and get to lifting hehe.

Three to four different exercises per body part and at least 3-4 sets per exercise @ around 8-10 reps. Always do each set to exhaustion, if you are getting more than 12 the weight is too light. At the stage you are at, anything less than 8 is too heavy for you, and you run the risk of injury.

Five days on, and take at least one {preferrably two} days off in between. Your body needs time to recover, if you want results.

Light weight and more reps is for gurlz,,,,,,, well cept for me and a few others hehe.

Hope that helps a bit.

Kisses Bunny

Sacramento CA
Username hidden
(13 posts)
We agree with everything 1sxycple said. We drink a protein shake every morning... "slim-fast". We put them in the freezer for about 20 minutes and get them slushy. They are excellant and since we don't take vitamins it helps fill that need.

Small meals but we still eat well. Our normal breakfast a couple hours after shake is 3 slices of bacon, one egg, and one slice of toast. Soup helps too.A whole can of Chunky Chicken noodle or with vegetable is only about 200 calories.

On weightlifting, every time in the past I (George) tried to get into it I would injure a shoulder joint or bicep. I now do low weights/ high reps with no desire to get into powerlifting.

Harrison AR
Username hidden
(40 posts)
Been working out about a month and I can tell the difference. I feel great! When I started I could only do 2 push-ups, now I can easily do 15. I've been working out Monday - Thursday and afterwards I either swim laps in the pool or play basketball. On the weekends I try to ride my bike or just do yard-work.

Wayne

Parkland FL
Username hidden
(1474 posts)
Thanks for the tips.

"Cardio and quit SLS. Stop eating all that junk food Wayne!"

SLS probably saved me! Before this I worked in the fast food industry. I ate free Whoppers 4 or 5 times a week for 10 years! That's what got me in this mess.

I don't use salt anymore at all. Don't even miss it now. But now that I have been working out, I have a huge appetite and have been eatting more. I haven't gained any weight, but haven't lost any either. I'm hovering at 175.

Wayne

Parkland FL
Username hidden
(1474 posts)
"1) Want to get rid of my "middle age" stomach (I read the abs thread) 2) Dr. says I need to exercise (high blood pressure, high cholesterol) 3) Want to build up my muscles so I'm not scrawney. :) "

1- diet 2-cardio 3-more reps will tone, less reps and more weight will build.

Rochester NY
Username hidden
(10343 posts)
1) Want to get rid of my "middle age" stomach (I read the abs thread) 2) Dr. says I need to exercise (high blood pressure, high cholesterol) 3) Want to build up my muscles so I'm not scrawney. :)

Parkland FL
Username hidden
(1474 posts)
Yeah, it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Rochester NY
Username hidden
(10343 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 11   End
TOPIC: How Many Reps