Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Fitness › Happy Thought of the Day for Fit People
TOPIC: Happy_Thought_of_the_Day_for_Fit_People
« Prev  1 ...  138  139  140  141  142  143  144  145  146  147  ... 197  Next »
1421 to 1430 of 1968
User Details are only visible to members.
Leeza,

Well, come on down! We will gladly be your tour guides and workout buddies. ;)

That doesn't surprise me about motocross though. Pro racers do 30 minute plus one lap mottos. They only do two mottos now. In the 70s, when motocross was in its prime, the pros did three mottos.

It is one of the few sports that works every muscle in your body, which is probably why it was compared to cross country skiing. Hubby has surprised a few fitness trainers. He is able to keep his heart rate, at his normal rate, for a very long time, while working out. I have often wondered how much motocross plays a part in that.

Carrie

Corpus Christi TX
Username hidden
(18093 posts)
And I'm pretty sure that the marathon runner would not have the strength needed for motocross racing. A "fit" athlete like a sprinter would also struggle in the marathon.

There are different levels of fitness. I competed in a sport that required both strength and endurance. Marathon runners do not need to do as much strength work as a middle distance runner, speed skater, or a rower, for example. The context of the conversation I had with the sports doc was the kind of fitness level and body type found in sports that need both superior power and stamina.

I am not an expert, nor did I want to open a debate about who the "fittest" athletes are... but actually this is kind of fun! So debate away-- masterdebaters!!!

Gibsonia PA
Username hidden
(7111 posts)
I saw an Iron Man Motocross competition on ESPN last year. That is more than your usual competiotion. You have a huge course, have to get up moutains, even in mud. So many people dropped out in the first day. I think it was three days of racing.

Quakertown PA
Username hidden
(1878 posts)
My ex was not a professional motocross racer, but he did ride dirt bikes like a motocross racer. He found it was more enjoyable than motorcycles, but he did mention it takes alot of physical endurance.

Quakertown PA
Username hidden
(1878 posts)
Have you ever tried to even casual motor cross? Watch a MX race and study the legs. You should see as they go up and down the bumps and jumps they use their legs as shock absorbers. They are almost always off of the seat. Kind of like doing a couple a thousand knee benders. Plus the way they have to hold on to and toss around through the curves a motor bike that weighs more than a few hundred pounds. It is a lot of work!

Tulare CA
Username hidden
(1879 posts)
Back in the mid 1980s I was an athlete and competed in international competition several times. Twice I medaled in the World Championships. As member of the US National Team and an Olympic Team candidate I was tested and studied often (sometimes felt like a lab rat)-- VO2 max, lung capacity, blood tests, muscle biopsies (which hurt like hell). One of the sports physioliogy doctors who was studying us mentioned other sports where the athletes are at the top for cardiovascular fitness. Most of them were obvious, but he mentioned motocross racers as being exceptionally fit (as fit as cross country skiers) which surprised and interested me. Anyway, my source is anacdotal, but I believe to be credible and based on research.

Gibsonia PA
Username hidden
(7111 posts)
Carrie-- Mrs Leeza and I would like to take a trip down to Corpus Christi to meet you and maybe do a few "workouts" together.

...and I see in your profile that your hubby is a motocross racer. Speaking of fitness, I was surprised to find out that motocross racers are among the fittest athletes in any sport... pretty cool!

Gibsonia PA
Username hidden
(7111 posts)
Damn! I almost missed a compliment from Leeza. I really need to come in this topic more often.

Carrie

Corpus Christi TX
Username hidden
(18093 posts)
This was my first longer race and I went with friends from the gym. Now thinking of doing the half in Philly. Sorry to hear about B, hope he heals fast. I probably could have finished better, but the heat was a killer. On top of that, I have a cold. I finished in 1:42.

Pipersville PA
Username hidden
(73 posts)
I just completed my first Broad Street 10 mile run! The weather made it very difficult. But I finished in a time I am happy with!!!

Pipersville PA
Username hidden
(73 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  138  139  140  141  142  143  144  145  146  147  ... 197  Next »
1421 to 1430 of 1968
TOPIC: Happy Thought of the Day for Fit People
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.