Getting in shape after a spinal fusion : Swingers Discussion 64838101
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsFitnessGetting in shape after a spinal fusion
TOPIC: Getting in shape after a spinal fusion
Created by: sweetbutt77
Original Starting post for this thread:
I have a question that results from a problem I am having. In 2003 I had a spinal fusion (L5-S1 for those familiar with the proceedure). When I was diagnosed with a ruptured disc I was 172lbs. and was fairly chiseled due to pulling a flatbed (throwing chains, tarps and various other strenuous things). I just weighed myself this morning and I am almost to the 200lb mark and this is not going to work for me. I drive a truck so long walks and running are pretty much out of the question (also the impact is painful). I need a routine that will target the abs without the lower back pain that sit-ups and crunches cause. Can anyone help? -Jim
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 4 of 4 
User Details are only visible to members.
JIm- I had the same fusion L5-S1 in 1986. I even currently have a herniation in L4-L5. I can do ab crunches but I do them on an exercise ball.

Mrs. Things

Honolulu HI

Username hidden
(1488 posts)
I have the same issue with my spine, but am refusing surgery. For strengthening excerces you should be doing physical therapy WITH a therapist to teach you proper form and excerices for your problem. I use a large excercise ball which has helped immensely to strengthen the abs and muscles supporting the spine. You can buy one at any discount chain store (Targette, K-ma-part, WallyWorld) anywhere from $10 (just the ball) to $30 (inclucdes DVD training and workout). The ball helps to support your weight while doing the excercises. Further, it strengthens the mucles (abs, back, buttocks) through deep isometric, stabilizing movements. I have found the pilates like movements to be of the greatest benefits for rebuilding muscle strength and relieving the pressure on the spine. I also use the ball for stretching and lengthening the spine after sitting or being on my feet simply by lying over the ball forward or backward. Situps and crunches are a big no-no for me as they will exacerbate the pain, but there are other excercises you can do with the ball that will accomplish the goal without causing more injury.

Swimming is another great excercise. No stress on the joints at all and the arm and leg movements work to strengthen the spine,arms, legs, abs, back and butt.

I'm curious as to why you are not in PT while waint for surgery? A good therapist would be benenficial.

Palm Beach Gardens FL

Username hidden
(1095 posts)
Good Luck I have had several of them and know just how you fell,it is like what can I do that wont jack my back up. Try walking when you get a chance to stop driving,eat low carb foods,and hope that you wont have more injections but good luck on that one along side the L5S1 i have now developed Arthistis in my spin and live in Cold Temp area OUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Watertown NY

Username hidden
(1 post)
I have a question that results from a problem I am having. In 2003 I had a spinal fusion (L5-S1 for those familiar with the proceedure). When I was diagnosed with a ruptured disc I was 172lbs. and was fairly chiseled due to pulling a flatbed (throwing chains, tarps and various other strenuous things). I just weighed myself this morning and I am almost to the 200lb mark and this is not going to work for me. I drive a truck so long walks and running are pretty much out of the question (also the impact is painful). I need a routine that will target the abs without the lower back pain that sit-ups and crunches cause. Can anyone help? -Jim

Spencer TN

Username hidden
(6438 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 4 of 4 
TOPIC: Getting in shape after a spinal fusion