Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Fitness › From Couch To Fit, what worked for you
TOPIC: From_Couch_To_Fit,_what_worked_for_you
Created by: LisaNWill
Original Starting post for this thread:
In reading some of the posts here, I think that many of us face the same challenges.

We live and work in a hectic world, one in which we don't have enough time or energy to exercise, too many high fat, high sugar food choices, and lack of motivation.

As a reformed couch potato, I would like to share something that helped me with my fitness and my food choices. I became a triathlete. Now, before you freak out and say, "I can't find the time to do one exercise let alone three, are you out of your mind?!!" It's not what you think.

First of all people have an image of triathletes that they are extremely fit, and this is not true. I have seen all types of bodies at races, even a 70.3 Ironman event.

Part of the reason for its broad appeal is that training is interesting. You spend some time running, some time swimming, and some time on the bike. It isn't doing the same thing over and over again, where you find yourself in a rut and where many fitness plans go off the rails.

Second of all, triathlons create a sense of community. In many ways triathletes are like swingers, they are misunderstood by the population at large (I have overheard people observe that they "can't understand how anyone could do that" when speaking about swinging and triathlons) and they have a very supportive sub-culture, and finally you go out in public in brightly colored clothing that leaves little to the imagination. What's not to love?

Need to keep motivated, sign up for a race, that provides you a goal to work for. And speaking of races, most people think of triathlons as Ironman, a 140 mile endurance event. Actually, that is the smallest part of triathlon. They have supersprint races that are 200 yards of swimming (8 laps in the pool), followed by a 5 mile bike ride, and a 1 mile run/walk.

It really is a sport that anybody can do, I know I am anybody and I am a triathlete.

What sort of exercise helped you go from sit to fit?

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »
1 to 10 of 77
User Details are only visible to members.
Sounds like you dialed into your number and definitely chock full of wisdom.

Rutherford NJ
Username hidden
(4741 posts)
LOL..that's what I was thinkin it was. I zoomed to the end right away. I'll go back and read it.

Rutherford NJ
Username hidden
(4741 posts)
It's all mental and having obtainable goals.

Being in shape is 90% diet and that comes from (IMO) 100% lifestyle choices. I was active and in shape when I was younger, lost it all when I got older and then about 2 years ago I was tired of being heavy, tired, unmotivated and not confident in my appearance anymore at all.

I designed a lifestyle, starting the the acceptance that I would have to have a calorie deficit for a while until I lost the weight and that included working out, changing diet and just sticking to it. That being said you must have obtainable goals that step you into where you want to be. Just starting and waiting for it to happen leads to giving up and/or loosing focus.

Best steps to start for me were having about 25 grams lean protein with 60 minutes of waking up each day, starting a routine at the gym - just go even if you don't want to or half-ass it when you're there - it's about starting the habit of working out. I averaged about .5 to 1 pound loss a week for a while and lost 60 pounds in a year. Went from 36% body fat to 19%. That wasn't my goal that kept me focused. Focus on the weekly short term goals, attain them and you'll get the change.

Build lean muscle and strength train as well as cardio as strength training build lean muscle that help metabolism and lean muscle burns more calories than fat ever can.

Drink lots of water throughout the day - I do about 1 gallon thru the day. Eat protein (good protein) about .75 to 1 gram per pound body weight.

Understand that weight loss at first can be quick because of the body being "shocked" but usually drops off or plateaus later - that is why habit and short term goals are so important - they will help get you thru the lull period.

Also understand that the body is a machine. If you so the same thing, everyday, every time your body goes into a kind of overdrive and what exercise would burn 300 calories last week now burns only 200 this week. Change up you activity frequently and focus on HIIT training that keeps your heart rate in zones and changes up exercises patterns so your body is always getting the best from your efforts.

I am more than happy to share some tips and/or direct you to quality sites or articles if you want - just ask. Especially if you have injuries or such you need to prepare differently than some.

I am 3 years now back in shape and feel off kilter when I don't make the gym. Workout 4-6 days a week and swim non-stop in summer. Never been that way except when I was 25 and didn't think I could be again. So this is a long answer to my first part above where I say "It's all mental" and setting up obtainable goals helps increase you success.

I believe the only failure in life is never trying. Sorry if I sounded like an infomercial - it's just that this topic is important to me and I love sharing tips about it.

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(5 posts)
A very good post topic. I think everyone's goals dictate their abilities or lack of abilities to get motivated to work out or get off the couch so to speak.

I am definitely of the belief that if you really want to work out you will find the time. I definitely understand that life is hectic and things get in the way however this instead of watching TV for 30 minutes a night you could have the TV on and do push-ups and sit-ups in your own house.

Remember you don't need a gym membership for a bunch of weights to be able to work out you have plenty of opportunities around the house.

Clermont FL
Username hidden
(1 post)
Marphcpl 25lb/ 6mo is impossible..you mean for year..and that is still pushing it. The average muscle gain with no steroid is about 1lb/month with heavy training..

New York NY
Username hidden
(431 posts)
Lisa and Will. Love the post, I am a triathlete / swinger and the wife is a triathlete supporter /swinger. I have to say that the wife gives me shit after an hour or so with her by saying, "You've done an IM in 13 hours, you better give me some more, 'IRONMAN'" and of course I have to man up, or risk being DQ'ed Hopefully some day we will meet at a race. Talk about a pre race workout.. lol

Jacksonville FL
Username hidden
(5 posts)
For guys looking to put on a lot of muscle pretty quick, check out Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, I put on 25lbs of muscle in about 6 months. Lots of eating and slow heavy reps.

Whippany NJ
Username hidden
(1 post)
I uses the 5x5 and start from just the bar and keep progressing. I also like the nike + app and getting setting personal goals. Increase speed or distance, don't be afraid to only run for one minute or lift 20lbs. The next time you run its for 2 minutes and 25 lbs or 20 for two more reps. This is a life change and stay in it for the long run. Not for the summer but every summer going forward.

Lansdowne PA
Username hidden
(3 posts)
Working out can be tough but start slow and keep setting personal goals and your body will continue to change.

Lansdowne PA
Username hidden
(3 posts)
It took 10 years to go from 210 to 185. Started with walking, evolved to jogging

Now I do HIIT: (45s sprinting + 15s rest) x 15 every morning + 30 weight lifting at night. Sat, Sun - rollerblading 10 miles.

Diet: I eat everything I want for total of 1100 cal/day Used to use Noom but now I know how much to eat.

New York NY
Username hidden
(431 posts)
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »
1 to 10 of 77
TOPIC: From Couch To Fit, what worked for you
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.