From Couch To Fit, what worked for you : Swingers Discussion 116164
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsFitnessFrom Couch To Fit, what worked for you
TOPIC: From Couch To Fit, what worked for you
Created by: LisaNWill
Original Starting post for this thread:
In reading some of the posts here, I think that many of us face the same challenges.

We live and work in a hectic world, one in which we don't have enough time or energy to exercise, too many high fat, high sugar food choices, and lack of motivation.

As a reformed couch potato, I would like to share something that helped me with my fitness and my food choices. I became a triathlete. Now, before you freak out and say, "I can't find the time to do one exercise let alone three, are you out of your mind?!!" It's not what you think.

First of all people have an image of triathletes that they are extremely fit, and this is not true. I have seen all types of bodies at races, even a 70.3 Ironman event.

Part of the reason for its broad appeal is that training is interesting. You spend some time running, some time swimming, and some time on the bike. It isn't doing the same thing over and over again, where you find yourself in a rut and where many fitness plans go off the rails.

Second of all, triathlons create a sense of community. In many ways triathletes are like swingers, they are misunderstood by the population at large (I have overheard people observe that they "can't understand how anyone could do that" when speaking about swinging and triathlons) and they have a very supportive sub-culture, and finally you go out in public in brightly colored clothing that leaves little to the imagination. What's not to love?

Need to keep motivated, sign up for a race, that provides you a goal to work for. And speaking of races, most people think of triathlons as Ironman, a 140 mile endurance event. Actually, that is the smallest part of triathlon. They have supersprint races that are 200 yards of swimming (8 laps in the pool), followed by a 5 mile bike ride, and a 1 mile run/walk.

It really is a sport that anybody can do, I know I am anybody and I am a triathlete.

What sort of exercise helped you go from sit to fit?

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
 1 to 10 of 64   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Exercise alone isn't enough. You have to watch what you eat. It's best if you eat 5 small meals a day as opposed to 3 large ones.

The easiest way to cut calories is to reduce/eliminate your soda, chocolate, and candy consumption and reduce your carb intake. Never take seconds. Also, the more protein and fiber you eat, the longer you feel full and the less you eat as a result.

For exercise, running is best to slim down, but that's going to cut into your muscles (not desirable for men). If you're a guy, you need to balance it with strength exercises too.

Schaumburg IL
Username hidden
(343 posts)
Watching family members age. That was pretty much a wake up call for me. Fortunately I work in a military organization that values fitness so it was easy to get back in shape. Running and hiking for the cardio and free weights/TRX for body toning. Better shape now than I was 20 years ago. Just start moving people.

Username hidden
(833 posts)
Mine was a "mental" decision. Until you REALLY make up in your mind that you want to do it, like anything else in life, you won't. Case in point. I really hate cardio inside or outside, whatever. However, this morning, I decided to do the 30 mins of cardio first and then did my weight training. It wasn't a picnic but I got through it. The music in the gym helped as well.

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(3553 posts)
Male half weight training and mountain biking, female has always done cardio classes, zumba, etc. but just started T25 and the results have been amazing for her.

Atoka TN
Username hidden
(3 posts)
cycling. 25-30 mile rides with hills provide an amazing workout.

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(2234 posts)
Trail running. It's all about stamina.

Franklin TN
Username hidden
(34 posts)
When I was 20 to 21 I let myself go and got way too big, and by way too big keep in mind that I am 6'4", so I can carry a lot of weight really easily. I was up to 350lbs. When I got divorced I looked at myself in the mirror and realized I had to fix this is someone new was going to want to have sex with me. I burned that weight off in less than a year and held on to 220lbs for a long time. Even joined the military which I never thought I would do and got into long distance running.

Fast forward 10 years and I've let myself go again, this time while finishing my degree. Told myself that I didn't have time to exercise, go to school full time and work full time. It was convincing too. So again, I've been burning it back off. Except this time I'm in my 30s, not my early 20s. Big difference.

When I started out I could barely walk a mile. Now I'm up to running 3 routinely and starting to ramp it up to train for a local marathon in January. I work out in the gym five times a week in order to add my muscle mass back. Muscle mass is important because muscle burns up calories just being there. Also, when you damage a muscle by working out your base metabolism increases for up to 72 hours while that damage is repaired.

This time around I do have something that makes the effort much easier and helps offset my age. It's a book called "Eat to Live". I won't get on a pulpit and start preaching but the basics are this. Examine food based upon the nutrition per calorie, not the nutrition by weight. When looked at that way broccoli has 2 times the protein as steak. So now, by the book so to speak, 90% of my caloric intake comes from vegetables, fruits, legumes and very very few animal products. I feel like a new person eating this way.

Midland TX
Username hidden
(1 post)
I'm a big guy that's always been relatively fit, but started piling on the weight when I started working desk jobs 15 years ago. For me, there was barely enough time in the day to do the stuff I liked doing, much less exercise. I had bad knees from skateboarding and doing lots of crazy stuff in my youth, so I thought high impact workouts would be bad for me. I was self conscious about being at the gym and having folks laugh at the fat guys trying to work out.

Then one day, I decided I needed to do something. I started going to bed an hour earlier and waking up an hour earlier. During that extra hour in the morning, I committed to doing a 45 minute, high impact work out. It hurt and was no fun, but I stuck with it. The program wasn't a video tape or anything like that. It was an app on the iPad called "Volt Fitness" and cost me a dollar. At first I could barely complete any of the moves, but the results soon started becoming noticeable.

Today is the final day of the 60 day fitness plan. I've changed my diet to lots of fruits and veggies, as little starch as possible, and sensible portions for dinner. I've worked out each day as instructed, whether I wanted to or not...and I have lost over 20 pounds so far. I've built up a good amount of muscle and dropped two pants sizes. All after committing myself for only two months. Keep in mind, I'm not a robot. I've still had junk food here and there, drinks with friends on the weekend, even the occasional ice cream, but the results were still amazing.

I plan to keep working out and eating well to see how my body will keep improving. The only motivation I really have and need, is that I like to feel good. That's why my wife and I are on this site. And that's why we keep ourselves committed to healthy diet and exercise. While it doesn't feel good to restrict your diet or to work your muscles so hard you think you'll pass out. The results from those actions, make me feel incredible!

I urge everyone to try and do something. You don't have to love the workouts or the diet changes. It won't be easy, but the work will be worth it!

Highlands NJ
Username hidden
(24 posts)
Steve - get some new pics and then compare them...it's amazing to see! Good work!

Jacksonville FL
Username hidden
(2271 posts)
Update: I've now lost 58 lbs. I've gone from 260 to 202. Hoping to be under 200 lbs really soon.

Middleburg FL
Username hidden
(21 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
 1 to 10 of 64   End
TOPIC: From Couch To Fit, what worked for you