Exercise Bike Recommendations : Swingers Discussion 208536
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsFitnessExercise Bike Recommendations
TOPIC: Exercise Bike Recommendations
Created by: Scandle
Original Starting post for this thread:
I live in an area where bicycle riding cannot be done safely during the winter months, yet I love the workout I get from a good ride and see improvements in my physique when I ride regularly. The only exercise bike we have in our house is very old and I've never liked it, so have told my husband I want one as a gift. He suggested I take a look at what's available and decide what I want. Fair enough, but I know so little about the newer equipment! I've no doubt the sales people will have all sorts of info to share, but would appreciate input from someone who has no vested interest in my purchase.

To those who know about exercise bikes: Which brands do you recommend? What features do you find are important to have? Which features did you find were worthless? Is it wisest to purchase the equipment from a store, or would buying one used from Craigslist or EBay be okay? If I buy one used, what should I look for to make sure I'm not wasting my money?

GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 22   End
User Details are only visible to members.
neila2004, thanks for the suggestion, and welcome to the Forums. I'll keep an eye out for stepper bikes now that I know what they are. It looks like a great work out.

Last week I ordered a lower end spin bike that will arrive in about 2 weeks. It's not the cheapest but is far from the most expensive. I figured my lack of experience meant it was best I didn't invest a whole lot of money into this equipment.

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(8807 posts)
There are some stepper bikes. I ride road bikes all the time. My rides are 100+ miles each weekend. But sometime I jump on my stepper bike just work out other muscles and it can be fun seeing everyone watching me wondering what I am riding. If you dont know what a stepper bike is it like an ellipsoidal machine but with wheels. Google or you tube stepper bike you will see.

Orlando FL
Username hidden
(2 posts)
After consulting with my physical therapist and considering various exercise bike options, I have settled on getting a spin bike. It's about time I work on my hamstrings along with my quads, and spinning will help strengthen those areas while burning calories faster. A semi-local fitness equipment store is having a floor model sale (though I would be given a brand new, in-the-box model if I bought the one I liked). The Vision Fitness V-series offers a lot but is expensive - $970 + tax, on sale. Obviously I could spend more if I went hard core, but I'm more interested in getting a high quality spin bike for less money.

Would those in the know please recommend a manufacturer that might fit the bill?

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(8807 posts)
While having beefy legs is great, it is advisable to have a strong body everywhere. As we age we lose bone density, this is why you see so many people in their 50's, 60's and 70's with broken bones. Besides biking you should also lift.

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16299 posts)
Thanks for all the great advice, everyone. As south_vegas_cpl said, even though I can't spot reduce at least all the biking will make my legs stronger and my quads beefier, which will resume the condition I had back in high school. And overall, if I understand exercising benefits correctly, the cardio will benefit my entire body in myriad ways.

Now to hit the shops and the road!

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(8807 posts)
Yes, spot reduction is a myth, which is unfortunate, because I would rather be rid of the stubborn fat on my belly that won't go away than have perfectly cut calf muscles, but oh well.

We're just lucky that we live in a place where we can bike (almost) 365 days a year, I guess. :)

I know it's hard to believe re: the Brooks saddle, Scandle - since they look ridiculously uncomfortable, but do some reading and ask at a bike shop. You'll probably have to order one, and they are not cheap.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19090 posts)
Scandle,

As I told you in private, I have no particular knowledge of bikes (though I do spin classes on occasion). I did want to chime in a few things.

You can not spot reduce regardless of what anyone tells you.

Also, I wouldn't do any jumping for cardio, you have an arthritic knee. Same with squats, unless you can modify them correctly.

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16299 posts)
Scandle,

I always used a Selle San Marco women's saddle on my bikes. They make a few models, and they fit wider hips beautifully. I believe that Performance or Bike Nashbar sell them if a local bike shop does not. They are not cheap, but make all the difference. Good luck.

Ocean City NJ
Username hidden
(4932 posts)
p.s. she rides a Flyer S, and I ride a B-17 Special.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19090 posts)
She doesn't quite love it as much as I do, but it's still the best seat she's found.

She used to want the big squishy seats but found it was difficult to ride for more than a short while. The softer seat that came standard on our touring bikes was fine for a while, then when replaced with a Brooks saddle, we have not turned back. Hers has not broken in as well yet as mine has, but it's a work in progress.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19090 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 22   End
TOPIC: Exercise Bike Recommendations