ETA: Man 20 and Intermittent Fasting : Swingers Discussion 224999
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsFitnessETA: Man 20 and Intermittent Fasting
TOPIC: ETA: Man 20 and Intermittent Fasting
Created by: CuriosityKilt
Original Starting post for this thread:
Greetings,

Longtime reader of the forum, occasional poster. I figured I would kick off a new fitness thread to liven up the conversation some.

Has anyone read/followed the Engineering The Alpha: Man 2.0 program? It is a recent NYT best seller by popular fitness promoters John Romeniello and Adam Bornstein. The title is terrible and the "hero's journey" approach is a little off kilter for a fitness book but their program is excellent IMHO.

That being said, it is not a beginner's program. I consider myself intermediate and it is a challenging program. It consists for four phases, each being 4 weeks. So 16 weeks in all. While the diet is the hardest in the first four weeks (low carb) it also includes intermittent fasting (IF). In phase 2 the workouts take a step up while the diet eases. There is a lot that can be discussed around this program but lets start with the IF. What are people's thoughts on it?

Personally, I would normally find IF to be extreme and a little towards the "fad" diet thing which would turn me off. Upon hearing about it, it happened to align with some reading I had done about starvation diets and life extension. Quick summary: If you live in a place like Cuba, your life expectancy is great because of a caloric restricted diet. Not a life I am going to volunteer to live but interesting science. IF seems to play towards this without the whole starvation thing.

Long story short, I gave it a try. It was hard the first two weeks (also happened to align with the low-carb phase which was even harder). But it has really worked! My appetite is much smaller and I have seen pretty good body re-composition while doing it. This flies in the face of a lot of modern advice about breakfast being the most important meal of the day, yadda yadda. So I'm interested in other people's input.

--B

GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 19   End
User Details are only visible to members.
I think a lot of this is psychological and what works well for some won't at all for others. There may be physiological differences between people that makes some programs effective while others are not. That is the source of a lot of this conflict. This is why I always tell people to stop beating themselves up if they fail and try something new.

Lexington KY
Username hidden
(2762 posts)
I have been on the IF program for 6 weeks and love it. It is not for everyone but I am really seeing some results. I am more at peace not because I don't worry about eating every 2 to 3 hrs now and I even work out in the fasted state. Yes for everyone who says IF is a good program there will be nay sayers saying the opposite. I love it.

Mr. Dual

Sacramento CA
Username hidden
(3 posts)
Consider it a cheat meal. Here's the deal. You know when people say "Oh, one day won't hurt you." Well, in most cases that's true. EXCEPT during contest prep. It can set you back days. I learned this these things the hard way. You will probably look fuller in a good way in the morning after the cookies. If nothing else, your mind will be right...LOL

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(3634 posts)
Well I ate about a pound of choc chips today so I don't think that helped the cut lol

Going for a run now.

Lexington KY
Username hidden
(2762 posts)
You know it's extremely hard to cut the "natural" woman. I always said I wanted to be a natural that looked like I was on steroids....LOL...not in the face mind you.

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(3634 posts)
Anytime babe. I'm cutting right now so we will see how I do.

Lexington KY
Username hidden
(2762 posts)
Toomuchfun: I NEVER got really "ripped." I know I have the genetics and as I stated before, I couldn't remain faithful to the diet for the length of time I needed and acquire "quality" muscle simultaneously. I now have the muscle but my body fat is way too high for competition and there is no way I would step on stage w/o a dramatic change as the judges remember and the one thing they always told me was that it takes time to build a quality body and they respected the fact that each time I stepped on stage I had improved. That's what you want to hear not what the fuck is she doing up there....LOL...bodybuilders can be really cruel. I may have to call on you to help me out.

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(3634 posts)
Very old stale thread you brought back BLT. I doubt the original posters are still around but you hit the nail on the head when you said some things work better for different people. Loosing weight, and getting in shape is more of a mindset than will power. You get the "jazz" and stick to it. Intermittent fasting does work but it is HARD to drop a day to 600 kcal but if that is what works for an individual that's great.

And the dude that says that older (middle aged) can't get ripped, I stay fairly ripped and I'm not the only one. Being almost 47 that qualifies as middle aged I'm sure.

Lexington KY
Username hidden
(2762 posts)
IMO: Intermittent fasting is a good thing, as long as you don't have any underlying medical conditions that would make it dangerous. Diabetics, of which I am one, have to be careful so I would caution them. I acquired type II diabetes once my New York lifestyle changed after moving south -- too sedentary. I do believe that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. There are some exceptions such as elite athletes who do their hardcore cardio on an empty stomach. It never really worked for me. Let me also say this, what can work for one person doesn't always work for another. As most know, I've been following Dr. Oz's Two Week Rapid Weight Loss Program. What I like is that it's so simple and you're never hungry and it's a plan you can incorporate into your daily life. I continue to follow it on a modified basis after the two weeks and I look and feel great, at least in my eyes. You can find the plan on his website. Intermittent fasting allows your body to take a break so it's not a bad thing. There are no magic bullets or programs. Losing weight is hard work and the only way to achieve a "true" weight loss is being consistent with quality eating and training....the end!

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(3634 posts)
hotirish4U Well I always have a problem when people say "science"..It would be science if the the methodology is scientifically proven, published with peer review and becomes standard of practice...otherwise is nothing more than a hypothesis or speculation.. Also people always says that our ancestors did not have this or that..in fact our ancestors had a very unhealthy lifestyles. Most of them hardly lived till the age of 50 and by that time they were wasted, bone and teeth falling appart. They were not bodybuilders or exceptionally strong man with 6 packs or women..on a contrary many starved and that brings illnesses. I don't want to be pessimistic but at this age (i include myself) it would be very hard to loose weight. Few pounds are not problem but forget about going ripped..the more important thing is to keep in physical shape. If you are hungry eat, if you are thirsty drink, enjoy life and keep moving, walk or run or do some light weight lifting..dont starve that is not good. Also diets do not work..period. here is the daily anecdote: I had a weight of 210 lb now at 170 lb that is 40lb loss for 9 years..to maintain it I try not to exceed 1500/day. I eat everything..burgers sweets you name it..just keep it below 1500 and its fine.

New York NY
Username hidden
(328 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 19   End
TOPIC: ETA: Man 20 and Intermittent Fasting