Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Fitness CREATINE
TOPIC: CREATINE
Created by: dzzyred
Original Starting post for this thread:
now that i have dropped about 15 to 20lbs of fat, i think, haha, i would like to add about 10 to 15 lbs of muscle and considerin taking creatine as a supplement which i took briefly about a year ago. I am intersted in people experiences in taking this supplement for those of you not in the know, creatine is not a steroid.

it has been reported that creatine will provide you with more energy when you work your muscles to fatigue. Creatine can be very beneficial to the athlete who does sprinting, weight lifting and any other quick burst activity. You should find that by taking a creatine supplement you are able to do more reps, sets or weights before hitting the fatigue point. As a sprinter, your muscles should be able to fire more quickly as you run. For endurance athletes - it is much less clear what creatine can do. If it does buffer lactic acid build-up - that would be a great advantage to endurance athletes. In addition, even in an endurance sport (like a marathon) - if you are really pushing yourself - and work the muscles to fatigue - you may stand to gain from creatine.

GoTo Page: 1 2 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 20   End
User Details are only visible to members.
PolyGrl...

Sorry for the tardiness of my response.

I think that we are pretty much on the same page. I agree that the data demonstrating toxicity are case reports wildly excessive use. There's reasonable data that maintenance dosing in moderation--2-3 gm/day for a relatively normal person and double that for a competitive athlete appears safe provided that there is no renal insufficiency to start with and provided that the user stays hydrated. Most authorities suggest 5-7 days of loading at 15-25 gm/day with a maintenance regime of 2-5 gm/day.

The problems occur when people use surgical mentality ("if some is good, more must be better"). Unlike drugs which are obliged to carry warnings on labels, supplements have no such requirements.

My point--made in my last post and repeated here--is that if one chooses to use creatine, common sense is important. Many who are using creatine (estimated 45% of high school senior athletes for example use creatine) may be unaware that there are some risks even though there is no labelling.

As to gains in body mass, unclear whether the gain is water weight or protein weight. Creatine is osmotically active and water will move with it.

Atlanta GA
Username hidden
(438 posts)
I took creatine while I was on deployment last year, and it helped tremendously with my workout, but I ended up doing too much too soon and I hurt my shoulder. If you are going to take it make sure you go at a good pace. Just be careful!

Dan

San Diego CA
Username hidden
(42 posts)
Yes, PolyGrl, but....

Creatine ingested is excreted--that's how it hits the kidneys. For creating to get into muscle cells, the cells need to "need" creatine and take it in. There is some evidence that insulin and glucose are required to get creatine into cells.

If you use creatine, suggest you hydrate to the Nth degree and take after workout with some glucose. Overall, I would not be terribly excited about using the stuff.

Atlanta GA
Username hidden
(438 posts)
good luck joe, i lost 30lbs since last january and protein shakes played a big part. remember little steps!

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
I've heard of joint problems and Tendon issues associated with Creatine. I've gained about 30 pounds in the last 3 years. Mostly fat. I'm starting a weight lifting routine, nothing fancy just 2 30 lb weights, some some push ups, flutter kicks and sit ups. Now if I can stick to all that for at least a week........But anyway I'm taking protein powder right now, I want to get into a zone before I even consider more advanced supplements.

Arlington TX
Username hidden
(2284 posts)
Creatine works wonders.After the loading phase 5 grams a day is all you need.I cycle it and am able to maintain about 85% of the strength it gives me.The only problem is you need to watch out for overtraining as you are able to lift heavier almost perpetually and it plays on your joints...

Chicago IL
Username hidden
(6 posts)
creatine use = liver and kidney damage plus kidney stones. Doesn't sound like a good option.

Palm Beach Gardens FL
Username hidden
(1095 posts)
As a powerlifter, I had to quit Creatine. It screwed up my intestinal habits. Always need to go sit on toilet.

Lubbock TX
Username hidden
(2 posts)
Newoneapp

Your results are pretty common, though the side effects can be cured pretty easily. With proper rest and nutrition/supplementation you can almost totally bypass any of those concerns mentioned. I train in BJJ and wrestling, and creatine ethyl ester is one of the foundations of my stack. Why ethyl ester? The uptake is improved, so the loading stage is minimized and the water retention significantly reduced.

Addressing soreness: You're simply able to work your muscles a lot harder than you were previously. If your diet/supplementation/ rest program isn't changed relatively to this, you're going to be extremely sore, experience headaches, cramps etc. Not to worry though, because fixing this isn't that hard. By drinking a ton of water, you're doing yourself a lot of good as it'll prevent the majority of cramps and headaches, however, the additional soreness and cramps may be taken care of through sufficient nutrient intake (5-6 meals, 1g protein/1lb lean body mass) in conjunction with L-Glutamine supplementation. I had similar problems when I started working out hard with creatine on top of training, and by simply taking 3-5g glutamine both pre and post workout, and another 5-10g before bed, all of those problems were resolved.

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(24 posts)
I was a college athlete and Creatine wasn't around at the time, but after my athletic career, I continued to work out and lift. I tried Creatine for about 6 months and a few things happened. (I actually only took 1/2 the recommended amount - keep that in mind...). My lifts went off the charts. I could lift more than I had ever been able to lift. It was actually pretty amazing. I was like a freak. The side-effects, for me, were not good. Waking up in the middle of the night with muscle spasms/cramps and pulled muscles when I played in local flag football leagues or basketball leagues were terrible. Pulled muscles had never been a problem and they were constant with me when I was on it. I got quite a bit bulkier and gained about 8-10 lbs. I drank as much water as humanly possible, but still had those issues. When I decided to get off the creatine, my lifting gains were all lost and actually fell well below my pre-creatine workout levels. It took me a while to get back to normal levels.

So I would not recommend creatine to anyone that wants to do anything athletically (recreational leagues, high school or college athletes, etc.), but if you want to gain pure strength (serious lifters), it worked very well. I am glad I am past the "Meat-head" stage where you try to lift as much weight as humanly possible and have concentrated more on being in better overall health...

My experiences with Creatine (I'm sure) are not the norm, but I wouldn't recommend it... Good luck to you!

Appleton WI
Username hidden
(81 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 20   End
TOPIC: CREATINE